1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hr20-700 Dual Tuner

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by kidego32, Oct 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kidego32

kidego32 New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Hello,

I've been using the dual tuners of the HR20-700 with no problems since I acquired the unit earlier this year. I have them wired from two separate 3-lnb dishes.

Last week, I upgraded one of the dishes to the 5-lnb slim model in order to receive the new HD channels, but kept the other 3-lnb dish to feed the other tuner. The problem is that now the HR20 is reporting that Tuner 2 is not available. The only difference from my previous setup is the change of one of the dishes to the new model. The new HD channels come in fine in tuner 1 (fed by the new dish), but tuner 2 no longer works (fed by the remaining 3-lnb dish).

Can anyone provide any guidance as to what I can check?

(by the way, I also have a standard def directv receiver upstairs fed by the same configuration, and that one is working fine)

2. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    an HR20? You only need the Slimline, and eventually all HD programming can be received only with a 5LNB dish. Why did the installer set you up this way? Call them back. You should get a free update, with zinwell switch for free standard install. Connect both satellite input on the back of the HR20 to the Slimline dish, and make sure your configured for that Slimline 5 LNB dish. You cannot configure a HR20 to be on both a 3 LNB dish and a 5 LNB dish. Strange :confused:

3. kidego32

kidego32 New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I've been setup this way for the past 7 years or so; two Dishes in order to feed the dual tuners of my receivers. Reason is because it wasn't possible to run two lines from one dish. All the installer did was replace one of my existing 3-lnb dishes with the new slimline. I don't understand why that would cause tuner 2 to stop seeing the signal from the remaining 3-lnb dish (I understand it won't receive the new channels, but why would it stop receiving the other signals?)

If I replace the remaining 3-lnb dish with a slimline, would that allow both tuners to work then?

4. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    I thought you said you are using two dishes the 3 LNB and the Slimline. You of course just need the Slimline for all your sets. I don't think we had the Slimline or AT-9 seven years ago. 7 years ago we only had the 1 LNB dish for satellite 101. So just ignore me, I'm confused.

Try calling tech support, they might be able to help if nobody in this forum can.

5. kidego32

kidego32 New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    First, thanks for trying to help. Let me see if I can simplify things a bit ...

The reason I have two dishes is because it's not feasable for me to have two lines from one single dish going to my living-room. It was easier to install another dish closer to that location than to run another coax line. So basically what I have is two dishes, with dish one feeding tuner 1, and dish 2 feeding tuner 2.

On thursday of last week, I upgraded dish 1 to the new slimline in order to receive the new hd channels. The slimline feeds Tuner 1 and works correctly. I can not physically run another line from the slimline to this receiver in order to connect to Tuner 2.

So here is the problem ... Tuner 2 is still connected to dish 2 (the older 3-lnb) that wasn't replaced, but for some reason, this tuner is no longer active.

Again, thanks for your time ...

6. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    What you needed was a multiswitch. All 4 lines run from the dish to the multiswitch, which then provides extra outputs - 8 on the WB68 and 16 on the WB616.

Using one line from each dish to feed both inputs is probably screwing with your system as the HR20 thinks it is using one 5lnb dish and the 3lnb can't possibly handle any request for the new HD stations.

You need to call DirecTV and have them remove the 3lnb dish and properly run 2 lines from the 5lnb to the HR20.

edit:
    Re-reading your explanations, it appears that you requested this screwy setup. It's just not a good setup and is the cause of your problems. You need to bite the bullet and run the proper cables to the HR20 from the Slimline dish or get a 2nd Slimline. What you're doing is just screwed up.

7. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    If you want to keep the current setup, you will need to go into your HR20 and select 3LNB dish instead of 5LNB. You cannot specify a different dish based on tuner input, therefore your tuner 2 is looking for a 5LNB and is giving you an error. Doing this will of course take away almost all HD channels.

Your other option would be to replace your last 3LNB with a 5LNB dish.

8. Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd New Member

Oct 5, 2006
    Phat78boy (interesting handle) is on the money. The HR20 is making requests to a 5LNB dish. Since tuner 2 is connected to a 3LNB, it doesn't know how to response to what's coming back from the LNB.

9. kidego32

kidego32 New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Thanks guys. I guess I'll have to replace the 3-lnb with a 5-lnb.

10. Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd New Member

Oct 5, 2006
    I get how you have your setup and I think that's your only option unless you plan on doing some re-wiring. Best of luck. :)

11. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    the Slimline can connect those wires can't they? All 5 LNB dishes from DirecTV can provide 4 connections, which in turn can be connected to a Zinwell to allow up to 4 sets. If both dishes (3 LNB and the 5 LNB) are both wired to the HR20, why not just disconnect the 3LNB RG6 cable and connect it to the available connector on the Slimline, or Zinwell which should have been provided by DirecTV?

12. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    What he is saying is that without a major re-wire job in his house, he can only have one line from each dish. You are correct, one dish would do the job. Its just not the best option for his setup currently.

13. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    I assumed that both the 3 LNB & Slimline were beside each other or in enough proximity, basically the wiring was already done, just the dish needed to be changed.

14. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I get that too. From his description he has 2 lines from 2 dishes servicing each dvr.

But, if the location of the 2nd dish was to make it easier to run a 2nd line to each receiver, then why not replace the dish with the easier line runs, run 2 lines to each location using the easier access route, and eliminate the other dish with the more difficult line runs?

But if the OP doesn't want to do this, then he'll need that second Slimline and most likely be looking at paying $99 for the extra dish.

15. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    Only the home owner can answer that. I was just providing a solution for his current arrangement. I'm pretty sure he knows he can run all the boxes in his house from one dish, but he wanted to leave his current setup as is.

16. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    the customers satisfaction I think, so if you have it use it, get the house wired so you can use just the 1 Slimline.

17. kidego32

kidego32 New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Thanks for all the help guys. I just had a second slimline dish installed and both tuners are now working properly.

Only problem now is that after a hard reset (pulled power plug) 4 hours ago, my todo list is empty, and nothing shows up in the prioritizer. :(

18. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    If it's still blank this morning, go ahead and do a menu reset. The info should still be there, but at times people have reported that it doesn't show after a reboot and a second reboot usually fixes things.

19. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    This is actually a great setup from a troubleshooting perspective. No possibly troublesome multi-switches and dual, separate antennas. Lots of future flexibility.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.