HR20-700: {FT:01:03} - 0x1210 Anticipation

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - HMC PC Playback Discussion (private)' started by Earl Bonovich, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 4, 2008 #1 of 53
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    75% chance you will see a new push of software today (Tuesday).
    Not sure when during the day though.

2. Mar 4, 2008 #2 of 53
    kocuba

kocuba Icon

Dec 29, 2006
    kewl. Something to play with tonight.

3. Mar 4, 2008 #3 of 53
    VLaslow

VLaslow Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    We retirees will play first!:lol:

4. Mar 4, 2008 #4 of 53
    kocuba

kocuba Icon

Dec 29, 2006
    :raspberry

:D

5. Mar 4, 2008 #5 of 53
    lukep10

lukep10 Legend

Apr 13, 2007
    Question: Since this is a field trial, do the engineers have a working version that they are testing on prior to sending it down to us? Or does it work "in theory" and we test it without any in lab testing?

6. Mar 4, 2008 #6 of 53
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I work VERY close to home .. :) Besides, I wonder what it looks like via remote .. Hmmm.

7. Mar 4, 2008 #7 of 53
    Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I suspect that a battery of automated tests are utilized when possible and that the Engineers go through some sort of checklist. However, since we're test subjects it probably doesn't go through a full cycle. There's really not time for that I think with three versions in the last four days.

8. Mar 4, 2008 #8 of 53
    lukep10

lukep10 Legend

Apr 13, 2007
    Gottcha, I was curious b/c of the DTCP fail I wondered to myself "why is this working for the engineers but not us, or did they test that part to see what caused it. Either way I'm excited

9. Mar 4, 2008 #9 of 53
    kocuba

kocuba Icon

Dec 29, 2006
    :lol:

can't tell ya how many times "It works on my PC" has been said here. And works on in house tests and then doesn't work on client PCs.

Not to belittle your comment or the work that these guys(and gals if any) are doing, but nice to see that it just ain't us. :grin:

Keep up the hard work guys.... Much appreciate from someone in the same boat.

10. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    First, let me reiterate that no one at DIRECTV has told me anything. If they had, I would not even be speculating as I am here.

I know that there is some sort of firewall on the HR20. It may be simply .. make sure zero services are running on any port .. but I suspect that it's a bit more complicated than that because ping was "turned on" recently and that's one of those things that are probably easier to firewall than turn off ..

So, if there is a firewall and port 10000 was still firewalled, then we would certainly get the results that we are seeing. An Engineering system may have actually had the port turned off at some point and that part didn't make it into the code base. Someone working on this Engineering workstation would never see the problem because it simply wouldn't exist. This is where a focused group of testers not related to the process becomes extremely helpful.

It's just as likely that I'm not even close in this speculation, so don't read too much into it .. think of it more as an example.

11. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    My 2ยข...

If they could test everything effectively in house, they wouldn't need field testers, and we wouldn't be lucky enough to have this opportunity.

12. lukep10

lukep10 Legend

Apr 13, 2007
    All good info, and my question isn't in frustration I'm that kid that took apart everything he could get his hands on (Mom was not happy that I in the 2nd grade took apart a $2000 stereo, luckily for me I put it back together with no issue.)

I appreciate the explanations, as this is my first feild test of this kind, anything i've ever tested before has always been systems and software from work so this is more fun than a swimming pool full of money and an off shore bank account! :)

13. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I'm all for testing fun, but I don't think I would go so far as to say that :lol: Even if they were all $1 bills it would be a LOT of money :).

14. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    I can verify DIRECTV has tested this--Doug, Stuart, Earl, and I saw this at CES. :) (And it wasn't a mockup.)

I am very surprised this failing so completely for all of us, but having written a fair amount of code as well as overseen a lot of programming and deployment projects, I can see how a simple, easy step can be overlooked at final build time for the release we got. Say there was a note for the build team "for the PC CE'ers, throw this switch" which opens the firewall to one critical port.

Or the hr20s tested in the lab have a configuration setting that was done by hand for their lab units to throw the switch. We don't have that setting and people are slapping their heads with "Duh!" :)

That is why you send the very first builds for end user testing to a VERY small group of experts like us--to iron these things out and laugh it off knowing "I've been there, done that, don't want that T-shirt reminder..." :)

Cheers,
    Tom

15. VLaslow

VLaslow Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Congratulation! My family wasn't so lucky, I didn't put it back together:)

16. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Yes, it certainly did work when I tested it at CES. I even took the mouse and pushed the buttons myself.

Tom's probably right that it's probably a very simple fix, perhaps the current version of the software requires an authentication key that previous versions did not, but the module to ask the user for it hasn't been enabled. That sort of thing.

17. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I say .. Bring it, Baby! ;)

18. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I have just received an update...

99% chance, that you will receive an update today.

19. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Excellent Earl .. Thanks for the update.

20. lukep10

lukep10 Legend

Apr 13, 2007
    Woo hoo I'm excited now! (wonder if the boss will let me off early) I'm gonna have to go take my calculator apart to distract me! :new_Eyecr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.