1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20-700 in Austin, TX!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by gbwtfo, Sep 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gbwtfo

gbwtfo Cool Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Woohoo! The installer showed up this afternoon with a truckload of HR20-700's, and he told me that this was his first installation of this model. They were supposed to do the install a week ago, but didn't, apparently because they were waiting for the HR20's and didn't want to have to return to replace any of the older equipment. So I had to wait a week, not knowing whether I'd get the HR10-250 or the HR20-700 (they couldn't tell me at the time). Overall, the installation took about four hours and went quite smoothly. The installer was very impressed at how fast the box detected all the transponders.

The unit performed an automatic software download shortly after we powered it up (to 0xbe or some such...) while we were trying to change the settings for the TV. It just kind of rudely interrupted and initiated the download without warning.

At any rate, I haven't played with it enough to comment on what I think is good or bad, but I can tell you that I sure am going to miss the dual live buffers. Overall, the box seems pretty responsive. Changing channels is a bit slow, but I think it's because I have it set to "native mode", and it takes the TV a while to sync up.

Greg

2. bcrossan

bcrossan New Member

Sep 3, 2006
    I am in Austin too.... How did you get your box? D* told me to order from BB but they are backordered....

3. gbwtfo

gbwtfo Cool Member

Sep 1, 2006
    I first ordered the HD PVR service through D* about ten days ago, but they couldn't tell me then what hardware I would receive. The company that performed the installation is named "Advanced Technologies" and they brought all the hardware (as per the D* order). FWIW, Advanced Technologies customer service number is 877-889-7880.

Hope that helps!
    Greg

4. Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    Well, I'm in Austin also. I'm hoping to get one of the HR20s soon but assumed it would be a while before they would be available here. Maybe the fact that we are supposed to get the HD locals this month helped. :D

GH

5. gbwtfo

gbwtfo Cool Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Interesting. I didn't realize it was so soon due to the fact that the D* CSR convinced me that I really need to have an OTA antannae installed. When the installer arrived, he convinced me that there wasn't much sense in putting it up since HD locals were right around the corner. I believed him as he seemed informed, but I got him to leave me the antannae just in case. That said, he said that the OTA reception in my area was very very poor, citing a recent nearby install that could only get one OTA channel. Again, believable due to the local geography (I live on a hillside not far from Mt. Bonnel).

6. Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    The list for the locals is here. I see where the ones that were listed for August are now on the September list. I'm northwest (183/Anderson Mill) and get all the locals with a small outside antenna. The signals are pretty strong in most of Austin. :D

GH

7. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    looks like they need to update that list since the WB will soon soon be rebranded to the CW with programming from the wb and upn networks.

8. pappys

pappys Godfather

Jul 26, 2006
    I am sure they will change the listing in time AFTER the merger happens. Patience is a virtue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.