HR20-700 is bringing down my whole network

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by kbcrowe, Jan 23, 2010.

1. kbcrowe

kbcrowe Mentor

May 22, 2006
    This is a really strange problem. I have a hard-wired gigabit network throughout me house. I've had my 4 HR20's on it since it became possible to do so. Everything has worked fine until Tuesday.

Out of the blue my entire network went down, no PC, XBox, HR20, etc. could get out to the Internet or even see each other. I finally isolated the problem by disconnecting everything and reconnecting it one at a time. I have confirmed that if I simple plug one particular HR20 into the network it brings everything down. I have tried setting a new static IP, tried using DHCP, tried swapping the cable.

I've never heard of a single network device of any kind bringing down a whole LAN like this, does anyone have any ideas? Besides wanting to get it fixed I'm also curious as to what's gone wrong.

Thanks

2. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    there were a couple of reports here some time back about this, I think if you search you might find them. I don't remember time frame, sorry. they were in this forum.
    edit: I did quick search but cannot find one I was looking for, I may have been wrong obout it being in this forum. I do know there was a length discussion about this very topic though.

3. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Did you try plugging it into a different port on your switch/router? Sometimes a bad port can cause issues like this.

4. phox_mulder

phox_mulder Legend

Nov 1, 2007
    My HR20-100 does this as well.

This isn't supposed to work, but it does for me.

I have it hooked to a 5 port switch then into my router.
    When the HR20 starts spewing garbage, it only takes down what is plugged into the switch (namely, my sons Xbox and PS3) so I get a quick alarm from him when it's happening.
    I don't understand networking enough to get why the problem is stopped at the switch.

If I move the HR20 ethernet cable from top port to bottom port (or vice versa), this fixes the problem and yes, the HR20 is still connected to the internet from either port. (this is the part that isn't supposed to work)

This works for a couple weeks, then I get the "alarm" and have to move it to the other port then all is well for another couple of weeks.

phox

5. kbcrowe

kbcrowe Mentor

May 22, 2006
    Thanks, I found the other threads it looks like the HR20 is throwing garbage. Mine was already on a switch so that fix didn't work for me. I guess I'll have to replace it. I already have one HR20 with a dead HD I've been meaning to call about. God I can't wait until we have a TiVo option again!

6. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Well Tivo won't fix Hard Drive reliability ;)

This network issue is quite odd...I have never seen it myself. To take down only a switch is very weird as switches do very little that could be "taken down" by anything a device sends out and they don't really isolate anything.

I ask again, have you tried a different known good port on the switch?

7. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    I had all kinds of issues getting my HR20 on the network earlier this week and it did knock everything else off the network. While I was behind the entertainment center fiddling with network cables, I looked down at the HR20s ethernet port and saw no activity on the lights and I realized I'd stepped on the power plug. After plugging it back in *poof*, it was on the network and able to get web access and every other device on my network was likewise. So you might want to try either a red button reset or pull pull.