HR20-700 misconfigured?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by awalt, Jul 17, 2016.

1. awalt

awalt Legend

Jul 30, 2007
    Hi all, I hope you can help me - I have been a DTV customer for 20 years and I have had the strangest problem crop up. It started with the error 920, "Has not received guide information from satellite for 7 hours. Please contact DTV customer service." Note I have not actually seen any gaps or problems in the guide data as far as I can tell, I scrolled out 2 weeks and it looked ok.

This error has started cropping up on one of our two HR20-700 receivers over the past 3-4 days. The other receiver does not show the error at all! As background, the last work on anything (receivers, dish, etc.) was mid-November, we had our roof replaced and DTV came out and re-aligned the dish. Software version on both dishes is 0xabf. Dish is a Slimline-3.

First thing I did, was do a red-button rest - error came up again.

Then I did the system diagnostic check (press program guide and right arrow simultaneously on receiver), and the signals were:
    Tuner 1 - 97
    Tuner 2 - 79
    Network Tuner - 96 (I saw on the Internet to check the signal strength of Network Tuner to ensure it was not abnormally low).

So then I ran the Satellite Test found in the Settings area, and I got error code 83, Guide Test Fail - "Dish selection error detected 119 orbital slot not configured but was detected. Select correct configuration before continuing." I'm sure haven't touched anything with that, could it have been set up wrong by DTV last November but the Guide errors just started this week?

So I decided to compare the satellite setup on the "bad" and "good" receiver - both were the same! They were:
    Dish type: SL3 LNB
    SW Type: Multi switch
    RB/INTL: Non selected

Note, maybe this happened through a software upgrade, but I am almost positive the system used to report my dish as a Slimline-3. Now it says SL3 LNB. Is that relevant to my problem?

So I checked signals on 101, they were all 95 or above. But I noticed 119 did not show up at all when I scrolled through all the choices!

So I decided to change it to SL5 LNB. (Note - all the other choices, when I selected them, showed no Azimuth/Elevation/Tilt numbers so I assumed they were incorrect choices).
    I did not change or even go into any of the other menu selections other than just changing to SL5 LNB.
    Then I saw 119 now showing up in the signal strength area! The signals were:
    22 - 99 23 - 95 24 - 0 (ok?); 25-32 were all 90-100 except channel 28 was 35-40.

I completed the setup using SL5 LNB, but it got a different failure:
    Guide Feed Tests: Fail. Error code 82. Dish selection error detected. Incorrect signals received for program data. 119 Orbital slot is configured, but not detected. Select correct dish configuration before continuing.

I left it in this point, configured for SL5 LNB.

What is wrong - I suspect this was done wrong in November as I remember him seeing a test fail on the TV and then changing some things. Is this something I can fix or do I have to schedule a service call?

Let me know if you have any questions or want to know something else - I tried to explain everything I did and saw :)

Thanks!

2. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I would start by swapping receiver locations, see if the problem follows the receiver or stays in the same room.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If your dish has an LNB that has just 1 plastic housing it is a Slimline 3 or SL3. If it has 3 plastic eyes it is a Slimline 5 or SL5.
    Does your HR-20 have 1 or 2 coax connections ? If it has 1 it is SWM system and the SL3 in the system setup is not the one to choose. There is another SL3 in the list and it says SWM in the description.

Have you checked the signal strengths of the 99 and 103 sats ? They are the HD sources for your receivers ?

4. CapeCod

CapeCod New Member

Dec 12, 2006
    I too had this problem pop up on both of my HR20s on Saturday, the software version you mentioned I received overnight Thursday.
    I did the same steps as you but went one further. After the failure of SL5, I went back into Satellite setup, and changed the dish type back to SL3. The setup finished successfully, with no errors. I did all this yesterday. I have not seen the guide error since.

2 people like this.
  5. awalt

awalt Legend

Jul 30, 2007
    You hit it CapeCod, I was just getting back on to say it is solved! I did it slightly more than you, not sure if needed or not. What worked for me (I verified this on my other receiver):

1. Change from SL3 LNB to SL5 LNB
    2. Red button restart
    3. (if you run system test here it will fail saying it is the wrong dish setup, but you do not have to test it here)
    4. Go into satellite setup and change back to SL3 LNB
    5. System test - it will pass all tests!

I agree with you too, this happened because fo the update - I received 0xabf on Thursday, and that's when the problem started happening!

6. Z28Taxman

Z28Taxman Mentor

May 22, 2007
    My hr20 is doing the same thing since recieveing the update on Thursday. I'll try you fix as soon as I can. Thanks!

7. goldwing

goldwing AllStar

Aug 25, 2006
    SW OHIO
    I have had the same thing happening with my HR20-700 since Friday morning also. Right after getting a f/w update overnight. I replaced my SL5 with a SL3 about 5 years ago with no problems till this weekend so it HAS to be the new f/w. I will try the fix you posted.

Thanks

8. goldwing

goldwing AllStar

Aug 25, 2006
    SW OHIO
    Well i had to wait for a storm to pass but the fix didn't work for me. I still get same error after going back to SL3. Tells me i have 0 signal on odd tp's of 101 tuner 2 when i really have 95-100 on all 101 tp's. No channels missing and great signal on all 3 sats. I get guide data error (920) every 4 hours or so till it gets to 24 hours when it reboots on its own. All started Friday morning on HR20-700 ONLY...H20 and HR24-500 still fine.

Not going to worry about it at this point. My contract is over end of day Tuesday and after over 20 years of being with DTV i am 99% sure i am cutting the cord in about 35+ hours. All my equipment is the old legacy stuff, plus my dish need to be moved about 70ft east of where it is now due to trees or i will be having problems in a year or two. Moving the dish means rerouting all the rg6 from one end of the home to the other. That means attic work and its wrong time of the year for any of that. LOL.

I still have a nice OTA tower with multi city locals. Maybe get more work done around here.

9. Z28Taxman

Z28Taxman Mentor

May 22, 2007
    Well the fix seems to have worked for me. Guide is populating and I haven't seen the error since I did it.

10. alnielsen

alnielsen Godfather

Dec 31, 2006
    ...- .....
    The SL3 isn't designed to receive the 119 satellite. There isn't much worth mentioning on there anyway. The SL5 will pick that one up.
    The only thing on the 119 satellite are international programming and a couple of music channels that require a more top end programming package.