1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20-700 Playback Issues

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by havanahjoe, Nov 12, 2010.

1. havanahjoe

havanahjoe Mentor

Dec 15, 2006
    Hello,

I've been trying to read and search for issues similar to mine but have been unable to find anything. I apologize if this has been answered before.

My HR20 starting acting weird a few months ago. Some recordings would not playback properly. Picture would freze, then the recording would skip several seconds or minutes, play for a few seconds, and do it again until the end of the recording was reached.

Here's a video of my original HR20-700 doing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-sELdWmQfs

It only happened with recordings, and not with all of them, but with about 80% of the recorded shows. Never with Live TV.

I called DirecTV since I assumed it was a bad hard drive. My receiver is leased so I got them to send me a replacement. I got another HR20-700 that I plugged in and powered up. After setting up all my recordings, I discovered it was doing the exact same thing, plus it was rebooting very often.

I discovered the reboot issue is due to me not having LOS to 119° and I have a Slimline5 dish. I had never had this issue before and I've been living at this apartment with the dish in the same spot (or roughly in the same spot, had to move it a month ago) and I don't think I've ever had LOS to 119 so I've had the message about guide data not being received for ages, but it had never rebooted. Anyway, I'll fix this by getting a SWM 3LNB and replacing my current 5LNB.

I'm not sure if the lack of LOS to 119 is causing my playback issues.

Anyone experience this before? Live TV always works perfectly. Re-watching a show that is recorded from Live TV will always work, at least immediately.

I have had some shows immediately go to "Do you want to delete" but I think these were recorded during the time the receiver wanted to reboot.

Hope someone can shed some light! Thanks in advance!

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    What happens if you pause the show for a few minutes and then resume?
    Does it screw up?

3. havanahjoe

havanahjoe Mentor

Dec 15, 2006
    During Live TV? Nothing, I can pause and rewind without a problem when it's the Live TV Buffer.

A recording I made last night, while having the TV on and watching it record, I can play back today without a problem. The problem seems to be when the HR20 records without supervision.

4. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    That's strange, because once you invoke a trick play (pause, rewind, etc) you effectively aren't watching Live as it's the buffer being used. So this isn't any different than playing the show later from the hard drive.

5. havanahjoe

havanahjoe Mentor

Dec 15, 2006
    Yeah it's very weird. It also seems that if I have been watching and changing channels those recordings seem to be ok, at least in the beginning.

For example last night I was watching a movie on USA. I paused to go to the store and when I came back continued where I had paused it. No issues, everything worked great. At the same time, the DVR started recording a show on ABC. I went into the List and started playing back the show it was recording and it started playing without a problem.

The same day, but earlier in the morning when I first turned it on, the buffer was right at the beginning (like if you had rewound the whole thing until the beginning of the buffer) and it was skipping. I fast forwarded all the way to the end and everything was fine.

So it seems like when the box is unattended, the issues present themselves. I don't know if last night's recording will be watchable, but I'm thinking it will.

It sucks because I can't find the pattern of the failure to help troubleshoot it better.

Oh and isn't the DVR always playing back the buffer? Even if it's "live" it's still playing off the hard drive. At least that would make the most sense to me, it's always recording, but not really saving it unless you actually ask it to record.

6. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Yes, it's always recording (unless you're listening to a music channel) and saving the buffer until you change the channel. Last night I was watching Desperate Housewives and fell asleep for the last 15 minutes. I woke up at about 10:45 and rewound back to 9:45 to watch the end of the program.

7. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I've had numerous issues with my HR20-700s the past several months as well.. mostly with audio dropouts when rewinding either live or recorded shows. I am now on my 4th HR20-700 since August. The latest one has been a little better but it still has the problem.

I asked the CSR for an HR24 the last time but I knew she couldn't guarantee anything. I am about to dump the HR20 and try to find an HR24 online..

8. havanahjoe

havanahjoe Mentor

Dec 15, 2006
    That's crazy. I believe once I replace my LNB my issues will be fixed. I find it highly unlikely that two completely different HR20-700s are having the exact same issue and that my original one never had problems until I had to re-install my dish.

Maybe there's an issue with your installation n3ntj. I'll keep you posted as to what happens when I get my new SWM 3LNB.

9. bralph

bralph Mentor

Apr 3, 2007
    That looks a lot like what keeps happening to my Amazing Race recordings, but not every time. This week's episode was completely unwatchable after about 25 minutes. It's happened three times this season, and always with TAR. Other CBS programming doesn't have this problem, although I think How I Met Your Mother might be the only other CBS show we watch.

I don't have an answer, but it makes my wife and I crazy...

10. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Don't know.. my signal readings are good (low to high 90s) and the audio doesn't drop out when I watch a spot in the show first.. the audio can drop out if I rewind and watch the same scene again. Doesn't seem like an installation issue to me.

If the audio dropped out live and rewound, then I may say it's either a cable, LNB, etc. issue, but this is not the case.

11. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I agree.

Is it possible the OP's hard drive has bad sectors or head-seeking issues in the show recording area, but perhaps the LIVE buffer area is OK?

12. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I was just thinking the same thing that maybe his DVR has hit upon some Bad Sectors and it is having Problems Reading the Data completely off of these Bad Sectors.

13. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    It used to be that until you engaged trickplay, you were watching the tuner and not the LIVE BUFFER. I have an H21 in a room next to an HR, and when I tuned the HR to a live channel, the audio was perfectly in sync with H21 audio on that same channel, until I engaged trickplay on the HR and it switched to the buffer.

I hadn't tested this for a couple of years, tho, until this thread. I just tried it again, and now the HR audio is a second or two behind the H21 audio, even when first tuned to a LIVE channel! So somewhere along the line, something changed.

NOTE: The test I just ran was an H21-200 vs. an HR24. The test I ran a couple of years ago was an H21 vs. an HR20. My HR20 is not in a nearby room, so I can't re-test it.

14. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    My understanding is that under normal live watching you are watching directly from the tuner and the buffer is recording in parallel. Once you invoke a trick play then you are watching from the buffer.

FYI, the TiVos always played from the buffer regardless.

15. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Based on my own testing, it used to be that way. That's no longer the case tho, at least for my HR24. That's based on a test I ran last night.

16. havanahjoe

havanahjoe Mentor

Dec 15, 2006
    I finally figured out what the problem was. Fixed it a little while ago but kept forgetting to come back to this thread.

The issue was HDMI related. I had always had the HR20 set up the same way, but something changed. Probably the cable went bad. I had it going to an Onkyo receiver, which is an HDMI pass through, and from there to the TV.

I got a new TV recently but I think I was having the issue before I replaced it or a while after, so the TV didn't seem to be the problem.

I eventually just connected the HR20 to the new TV directly and problem solved.

Very weird but it is fixed. I did eventually replace my 5 sat LNB with an SWM 3 sat and I'm much happier with just one cable.

17. ejjames

ejjames Icon

Oct 2, 2006
    In my opinion, if you have a DVR, you are watching the recorded info off your hard drive. if not, it would cause jumps in the image when paused, and that has never happened to me.

18. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    But he said he replaced the 20-700 and has the same problems with the replacement. I'd think that would rule out the HDD being at fault. If he was running an external device, I'd suspect that was the culprit. The device itself, not the attendant HDD.

Rich

19. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Always so easy to blame the HDD. And they fail so rarely, in my experience.

Rich