1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20/700: SWM? Whole Home? New Disk? DECA?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by grins, Jan 21, 2013.

1. grins

grins Mentor

Nov 17, 2005
    iirc correctly, the HR20/700 is SWM ready.

Is it compatible with Whole Home DVR?

Is the Ethernet port useful on that, or do I need the DECA dongle?

Can I copy its current internal disk onto a new bigger disk and use that as a replacement internal disk?

Actually, I also used that DVR with an external disk. Can I copy that external disk onto a new larger disk and use that new larger copy of the old external disk as the internal/only disk?

Thanks, y'all. I'm considering resurrecting the old dog so that some recordings will stick around for a bit longer.

2. BAHitman

BAHitman Godfather

Oct 23, 2007
    Austin Texas
    HR20 is compatible with WHDVR... the supported way is with DECA dongle, but uses the ethernet port... unsupported way would be to use your own ethernet network.

if you OWN the DVR (or you don't care if you violate the terms of service) and you are familiar with replacing the hard drive in a PC, you can copy the drive to a larger one and use a larger one in your DVR. (see http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=148760) for information. as far as external vs internal... to the box it does not matter, you can change one for the other, just that the external, if present will have priority over the internal.

3. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    Before you add hard drive space to an HR20, I'd consider that a HR20-700 is between 5 and 6 years old by now. It would be a shame to hook up a 1TB drive to a HR20, fill it up with recordings, and then have the HR20 die due to a power supply failure or some motherboard issue.

You might want to consider upgrading to a HR24 or a Genie instead.

This was the calculus we went through recently when our HR20 developed disk issues. Rather than replace the drive and have a new drive attached to an old DVR, we upgraded to a Genie.

4. grins

grins Mentor

Nov 17, 2005
    Thanks, BA! I do in fact own it, so out come the wrenches ;-)

5. grins

grins Mentor

Nov 17, 2005
    Thanks, Diana!

I moved in July 2012, and got an HR24 then. HR20 used an external disk, and was therefore unable to participate in whole home, so I asked to upgrade the HR20 to another HR24, and got the HR21 instead (because they "are absolutely unable to control what model of DVR you get"...even though they obviously _can_ control it when you add an additional _new_ dvr) :nono2:

TL;DR can't upgrade HR21 to HR24, so adding the HR20 as a cheap hack

6. Diana C

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'm a compulsive tinkerer, so I get the motivation. :)

However, there is no reason an HR20 could not participate in whole home because it uses an external drive. We had an 1TB external drive on our HR20 almost from the day they enabled external drive support, and we likewise had MRV turned on back in the beta test period.

7. BAHitman

BAHitman Godfather

Oct 23, 2007
    Austin Texas
    I own 3 of the HR20's... 2 of them have 2TB drives internal, and 1 has a 1TB internal...

As Diana pointed out... if the DVR fries, the recordings are gone, so long as you keep that in mind... open her up... it's a bit tricky, but patience will get you there...

I ordered a "new" dvr and got my HR21... That's where solid signal is your friend... order from them and you will get an HR24...

8. BAHitman

BAHitman Godfather

Oct 23, 2007
    Austin Texas
    This is not the case... The DVR does not care whether the drive is internal or external...

9. grins

grins Mentor

Nov 17, 2005
    Compulsive? Who's compulsive? <washes hands> ;-)

well then...I guess I should have played CSR roulette a third time, 'cause that's the line I got twice. anyway, it got me an HR21-700 :-/

10. Rent_Share

Rent_Share AllStar

Aug 31, 2011
    Doesn't the HR20 require a slighty different hookup than the HR21/22/23 on SWM8

11. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I think it is just the HR20-100 that has a unique connection, not all HR20's.

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Right, the -100 is the only one that needs the special setup. -700 is just like an HR21-23.

13. SFNSXguy

SFNSXguy EOE DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2006
    Near San...
    Just curious -- what's the "special setup"?

14. Diana C

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
  15. SFNSXguy

SFNSXguy EOE DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2006
    Near San...
    Thank you!