HR20-700

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Aero Man, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Aero Man

Aero Man Cool Member

Sep 20, 2007
    Today I have three “legacy” HD-DVRs. My HR20-700 (installed for three years) has developed an odd symptom that I haven’t seen reported yet. When I watch a recorded HD show, periodically the TV picture “wavers” horizontally for about 2-3 seconds and the picture darkens. Ohere doesn’t appear to be any pattern associated with the occurence. It might repeat itself 10 seconds later, or it could be 5 minutes before it happens again. Once the problem runs its course, I’m back to normal viewing. My wife reports that this doesn’t seem to happen during live (not-recorded) viewing. I’m theorizing the following:

1. HR20-700 Power supply beginning to fail?
    2. HR20-700 hard disk beginning to fail?
    3. Problem with TV (Panasonic HD CRT – 10 years old

This ssmptom is isolated to the HR20-700. I’ve accessed it’s diagnostic menu and run all the tests – no errors reported.

Any ideas?

2. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    My money is on #3. Swap DVRs to confirm.

EDIT: Nix that last part. It's against terms of service to move a DVR. Wouldn't want you to end up in DirecTV jail.

3. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Total guess, but I, too, would first suspect the TV. Sounds like a horizontal sync problem to me, with might be more noticeable with a component video connection, which is what you must be using with a 10 year old TV.

I can't physically swap my DVRs around without violating the terms of service? In that case, I better lock my doors tonight.

4. Aero Man

Aero Man Cool Member

Sep 20, 2007
    You're right! - It was my "first gen" Panny CRT that was causing the "waver" (using component). I swapped out the DVRs - same symptom after the swap. And my wife tells me that, after all, she did see the Panny "waver" watching "live" sat tv.

Time to replace the Panny. Darn, that old 1080i Panny Tau had a very rich & deep color that even my Pioneer Elite Plasma could not duplicate.

Thanks for your troubleshooting suggestions!

~Aero Man

5. bigbrother52

bigbrother52 AllStar

Jan 19, 2008
    I have a very good attorney that suggests if someone was that worried about moving a box, they could go to their online account and change the name of the rooms that their in to whatever room they used to be in.

That of course was mearly a suggestion and he would never advise that anyone blatently disobey the D*TV police.

If you're easily confused by your "Master bedroom" now being labled "livingroom"...don't try this at home.

The "right" thing to do of course is to pay D*TV to do this incredibly difficult and technical procedure, then wait 2 weeks for someone to come.
    On appointment day, don't forget to take time off of work so this specialized task can be performed by the highly trained individule who will call and don't be stingy with the tip!

On second thought, how much did they say the penalty was for this infraction?

6. bigbrother52

bigbrother52 AllStar

Jan 19, 2008
    Had you said you preferred the way you perceived motion on your old CRT, or you liked the whites better then that of the Elite, that I would almost believe.
    But if the Elite in question is a Kuro, sounds like somebody could have screwed-up the Elites calibration quite a bit for this to actually be so.
    I know of virtually nothing that was as acurate out of the box then a Kuro was, not even the Fujitsu's.
    IMO, right now you could not do better then to replace your old Panny with another Panny.

7. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    There is no way that DirecTV would know you moved a box to another room. We need more sarcasm smilies on these posts. :D

8. Aero Man

Aero Man Cool Member

Sep 20, 2007
    From OP

Thanks to all again. YEP, over the years, I've moved my HD-DVRs into differant rooms and have always edited their new location in my DTV account to show where they are, just in case a family member needs to call DTV while I'm away on business travel. Works great!

Funny, I activated two HR-24s this morning (acquired from online retailer) and I giggled when the CSR asked me where, in my house, they would sit? While I know she was just "doing her job" by asking, I bet they'll be in a differant room this Fall.

Back to my "wavering" issue; this was a symptom of my OLD Panny Tau CRT. With troubleshooting help from this forum, I've established that the HD-DVRs did not cause the wavering, it was the Panny starting to wear-out. I will replace the Panny later this summer (w/ Vizio 120 Hz LCD from local Costco?)

And...DECA install this upcoming Wednesday....wish me luck!

~Aero Man

9. narrod

narrod Godfather

Jul 26, 2007
    Between rooms in your home? I've done it for ten years. Oh, my....!