1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20 and Media Sharing- Device Missing

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by h8stn4d, Jan 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. h8stn4d

h8stn4d New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    I'm in the midst of a mess, trying to get my HR20 to show up as a device that I can share to. I feel as though I have read (and re-read) every post, every bit of Windows troubleshooting advice...except I'm sure the one that would solve my problem. I have tried WMP11, Twonky and TVersity.

I have two desktops and the HR20, all connected to a Linksys WRT54G router. Windows firewall and AVG Free on both desktops.

No matter what I do, no matter what PC I am using, I have *never* seen a device show up in the "Share media to" box in WMP11. Sharing is on. The right services are on. The DRM files were deleted. The right ports (I think) were opened, but I have also disabled the Windows firewall on both PCs, as well as AVG.

The HR20 can connect to the Internet, and the telnet test shows that the HR20 is there. I have rebooted everything, turn off, turned on, etc. No matter how hard I try, I am not seeing any device.

This led me to believe that the problem is with the router blocking SSDP packets (and I still think this might be happening), but Linksys was no help and insists it's not their problem.

What's strange is that the problem is not with the HR20 only. Neither PC shows up in WMP11 on the other PC, with sharing turned on in both PCs. The only exception is that if I run Twonky on PC A, I can type the server's IP in PC B and access the media server...but still no HR20 menu appears.

If you have any ideas, I'm definitely open to suggestions.

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
  3. loungeofmusic

loungeofmusic Legend

Nov 25, 2007
    Check that you have the SSDP service and the UPnP service enabled in windows xp. Google enable SSDP UPnP in windows (O.S.).

4. h8stn4d

h8stn4d New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Thanks--both of those are definitely enabled. That is what is so odd....it's almost as though the SSDP packets are not being recognized or seen. I have seen people use Ethereal (Wireshark) to detect SSDP packages, but I downloaded that and had absolutely no clue how to use it unfortunately.

5. rlhammon

rlhammon Mentor

Nov 11, 2007
    I'm really interested in any resolution you might come off... as I have the same issues.

I also have a PS3 of which I can access TVersity... but only with the Browser, not the Media Player detection.

Everything is set up, I have VOD via the HR-20, but I can not get the HR-20 to see the Media Server by TVersity.

6. doghead

doghead New Member

Jan 14, 2008
    I have set up TVersity on a P4 3.2GHz system running XP. Enabled UPnP, SSDP, opened up all the firewall ports and it seems to work fine when I connect using another PC running XP and play back using ON2Share and WMP11. I can play MPEG 2 and 4 in MOV and MPG wrappers, WMV, and AVI.

Then I try using playback using HR-20 with latest firmware which I force downloaded last night. I can find the files, open them and play back, but I get a highly artifacted image with lots of garbage. It looks like the HR-20 is not able to keep up. HR-20 seems to only be able to play MPEG2 and 4 and transcoded WMV and AVI don't play at all.

My guess is that my PC client is able to buffer enough to make up for network and encoding latency and that the HR-20 doesn't have enough buffer to support this. Has anyone gotten this far? Any ideas?

On a separate topic, I have OTA working great. Get several digital channels. Has anyone heard if HR-20 will/can support analog OTA?

7. rlhammon

rlhammon Mentor

Nov 11, 2007
    Mine started to work with the new national release of 0x1ea... not sure why it didn't before. But I've got the menu up and my files are seen.. but they all have X's by them.

Now to figure out how to fix that.

Wow.. great feature DirecTV. It's only taken 3 months to get it to work.. only to find out, it doesn't really work yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.