1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hr20 audio

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by markrubi, Nov 30, 2011.

1. markrubi

markrubi Icon

Oct 12, 2006
    2x since last night the sound on my hr20 has quit. It plays music channels but not on any other channels.

Running 0x4d9.

2. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    Have you rebooted the DVR?

If that didn't correct the issue, do you have dolby digital "on" selected in the setup menu under the audio settings; if so, try toggeling it to off, then back to on......

3. markrubi

markrubi Icon

Oct 12, 2006
    Rebooted fixed then it quit sometime overnight. I have not tried the Dolby on/off. I will try that if it quits again.

4. markrubi

markrubi Icon

Oct 12, 2006
    Dolby is off when this happens

5. markrubi

markrubi Icon

Oct 12, 2006
    Turned the tv off then back on. No sound tried toggling Dolby on/off no dice. Any other suggestions? I hope I don't have to replace this dvr. Too many unwatched shows. My wife will not be not be happy.

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    What are you using for your audio?
    What happens if you change which one you're using?

7. markrubi

markrubi Icon

Oct 12, 2006
    Dolby has always been off. STB to tv via HDMI.

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Try RCA [analog] red/white to your TV.
    If this also doesn't work, then the receiver more than likely will need to be replaced.

9. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Have you tried replacing the HDMI cable? First try reseating the connections.

10. mdeatherage

mdeatherage New Member

Jun 3, 2008
    It's not just markrubi, but mine is an HR21/200. When I turned it on this morning, the sound was fineā€¦but after leaving the TV on mute for a while, unmuting the TV gave me no sound. Checked other input sources and it was just the DVR (connected, as with markrubi, directly via HDMI). Rebooting fixed it, but turning it off for a while, then back on, then TV muting again produced the same problem -- again fixed only by rebooting, which isn't really acceptable since it takes 10 minutes. Toggling Dolby on/off didn't help. Switching channels, tuners, nothing produced sound other than rebooting.

Software version 0x4D1 was the latest I've been offered (never turned down an upgrade choice). Not sure what the deal is. DVR is reasonably full (~70%) so maybe it's spooling on some unreliable area of the hard disk? Hard to guess.

11. markrubi

markrubi Icon

Oct 12, 2006
    My issue seems to be fixed after forcing download of the same firmware.

12. Auraxr

Auraxr Mentor

May 25, 2007
    I've been having the same problems with an hr-20 and hr-22 on different tv's. Reboot brings sound back for a while. Noticed some loud "pops" while tuned to KFOR that I think affects something in the hdmi audio. Switched to OTA via tv tuner and heard same "pops" on channel four. Experimented by leaving hr's on channels other than KFOR and didn't lose audio. Tuned back to KFOR and lost audio again. Funny thing is, the Directv sound effects still work, but have no other audio.

13. markrubi

markrubi Icon

Oct 12, 2006
    I noticed loud pops on KFOR this morning also but on my hr24.

I usually have my tv on KFOR when the tv goes off after the news

Sounds like it might be a local issue.

14. Auraxr

Auraxr Mentor

May 25, 2007
    Guess your hr24 can handle it while the lower models can't. My audio on both units is fine until I tune to KFOR. Has your hr20 had any more problems since you forced the firmware download?

15. markrubi

markrubi Icon

Oct 12, 2006
    It's not been on KFOR. It is now and all turned off. I'll check it later to see if it's stopped working again.

16. gary s

gary s Mentor/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 30, 2003
    I occasionally lose sound on my HR-20. Hitting the skip back button fixes it. I've had this problem for quite a while.

17. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Forcing a software download of the same software you already have is not going to fix anything.

18. Auraxr

Auraxr Mentor

May 25, 2007
    Tried skip back, rewind, fast-forward, and changed channels, still no audio except for the Directv sound effects. Reboot is the only way I've found to get audio back. Problem only seems to occur when tuned to the local NBC affiliate, and once this happens, audio will not work on any channel (didn't try the music channels like markrubi).

19. Auraxr

Auraxr Mentor

May 25, 2007
    Thanks, hopefully the problem will be gone.

20. markrubi

markrubi Icon

Oct 12, 2006
    Well after leaving mr hr20 on KFOR ch 4 over night the sound has quit again. Nothing but a reboot will fix it. Can someone advise directv about this along with the audio pops we are hearing only on this channel.

Edit: Sounds still works on music channels. I don't think it's my hdmi or the dvr going bad. If it was the dvr all sound should be dead right? Plus all reporting this seem to be in the Okc market.

I will reset and put it on another local station and turn it off then check later if sounds have quit or not.