1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20 dead after LOS?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dmurphy, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    System: HR20-700
    Software: 0x17E
    TV Connection: Component (Native Mode ON)
    BBC's Installed: Yes
    Networked: Yes (wired to Airport Express)
    Symptom: We have had several large thunderstorms come through the area recently, which cause a temporary Loss of Signal (LOS). My DirecTiVo and R15 devices reacquire signal fine, but the HR20 does not. It simply locks up - the display is pixelated with a "Searching for Signal..." box popped up. The box is completely unresponsive to either the remote or front panel. A red-button-reset (RBR) restarts the box and processing continues normally.

Has anyone else experienced this issue after LOS? It's frustrating that the box cannot recover from a temporary degradation - what's worse is that sometimes I don't turn that particular TV on for a few days, so it may sit there locked up (and missing recordings!) for several days at a time. That's unacceptable.

I have also noticed occasional 'glitching' during recorded programming - some random pixelation during the program. I'm not sure if this is due to a signal problem or a problem with the unit itself.

2. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I've had problems in the past with the H20 locking up after a signal loss - no loss of power, just loss of signal - but my HR20's have not experienced this and resumed working just fine.

3. NYSmoker

NYSmoker Icon

Aug 19, 2006
    Those same storms made my HR20 not start up, I was out while the t-storms came through and when I returned home the HR20 would not turn on(come out of standby). I needed to pull the plug to reboot it. Worked fine after that but I was concerned about a lightning strike, it is on a surge protector though as is everything in the HT and everything was fine.

4. WashDCHR20

WashDCHR20 AllStar

Apr 11, 2007
    I also had this problem yesterday after storms came through the area. Unit was on standby although a recording was in progress, I could not get it to come out of standby either from the remote or from the front panel. Finally did a red button reset and everything worked, although recording in progress was not there at all (not even a partial and nothing in history). Also, when unit came back up noticed guide data was not saved - data for more than 2 or 3 hours in the future was missing on most channels.

5. HouseBowlrz

HouseBowlrz Godfather

Jul 15, 2007
    Centreville, VA
    I don't remember losing a signal during yesterday's storms in the same area ... late Friday night, though, I woke up to a frozen screen from what appeared to be a lost signal (based on past experience). The RBR got things going again ...

Back in January, I was watching (and recording) the AFC Championship game and my screen locked up about 45 minutes into the game. After spending some time with the tech on the phone, we did an RBR and things came up. The odd thing is that the recording had kept going right up to the time of the RBR.

Guide data ... that's always been my complaint. When my DirecTiVo does a reboot, the data is still there. I'm guessing that the DirecTiVo stores the data on the local drive while the HR-20 keeps it in a local cache that gets emptied on a reboot. This is something that should be fixed.

:rolleyes:

6. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    The HR20 has had a guide cache since March 20 when the 13e software was released.

7. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Well it's good to see my unit's not defective - that more than one is doing this.

I still think it should recover gracefully from the LOS; to beat the proverbial horse to death, the DTiVo's did that fine. :)

8. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    What UPS are you using?

- Craig

9. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
  10. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Had something like that similar a few days ago. No storms in the area though however I was watching a ballgame, channel pixelated badly then the screen went black, remote wouldn't respond so I had to RBR. At the time of the lockup it also too my network connection with it as my laptop locked up immediately. Once I did the RBR and everything returned all was well including the laptop connection.

11. bacevedo

bacevedo Mentor

Jun 15, 2007
    Interestingly enough, my HR10-250 (HD Tivo) locked up and was displaying "Searching for Signal" on Tuner 1 on a black screen when I went to watch it. It was completely unresponsive and required a pull of the plug to reboot. This was after a big thunderstorm with heavy rain.

My HR20-100 in the other room was fine. During the same storm it was reporting a loss of signal, but it never locked up.

Bryan

12. WashDCHR20

WashDCHR20 AllStar

Apr 11, 2007
    That is why I was surprised that the guide data was only there for the next 2-3 hours after I had to RBR my HR20 since it would not come out of standby after a severe storm came through the area Sunday and probably caused loss of signal (I guess) while it was recording. In this instance for some reason it did not save the guide data - maybe it only does on a graceful shutdown and not a RBR?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.