1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20 Defrag?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Tiebmbr, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    To any and all of those that know the inner workings of the HR20 far better than I do, are there any utilities that run internally on the HR20 that defrag data on the hard drive? As an Avid editor, I know the value of keeping my drives in pristine shape, free from old and unreferenced media, and its correlation to the performace of the gear, and was wondering if there is something the HR20 does invisibly to keep the disks in order?

If not, would it be prudent to include a rudimentary "clean-up" option on the unit?

2. davidord

davidord Godfather

Aug 16, 2006
    My understanding is the HR20 runs Linux as the base operating system and Linux is made in a way that it does not need defragmenting.

3. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Are you saying that LINUX automatically moves files so that they are not fragmented?

I would think things like Defrag and ScanDisk (or similar utilities) would be helpful with DVRs to help prevent HDD problems down the road.

4. bsnelson

bsnelson I can has HR2x?

Jul 6, 2007
    If the HR20 uses anything similar to TiVo's file allocation strategy (note: not necessarily the same filesystem), it's probably moot because there's only one or two different allocation sizes (the larger being twice as big as the smaller), meaning every hole is a perfect fit for new data. This effectively eliminates the need for defrag.

The specialized nature of the video files (specifically, that they're always large files, and not that many of them in the scheme of things) makes this possible.

Brad

5. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    Running Linux has nothing to do with fragmentation or lack thereof. Brad correctly describes why the TiVo MFS does not require defragging. The HR20 does not use the same file system but likely uses one with also large allocation blocks with few different sizes.

Where you get fragmentation is when allocation increments are small and files are of many different sizes. This can affect any OS - it is not a Windows phenomenon as many seem to assume.

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I would say, no defragging required. I used to be a psycho defragger on my PC hard drive but since hard drives got so fast I tend to ignore it for 3-6 months, and don't see a real speed increase after defragging anyway.

7. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    Newer hard drives, like the hard drives in newer computers and in the HR20/21 don't need defragmentation programs. The newer format of the drive (i.e. XP/Vista on computers, and on HR20/21) don't need it like the older formats such as fat, or fat32.

8. flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    No defragging necessary. Not that the data doesn't become fragmented, but since the drive is constantly seeking back and forth from the currently recording file(s) to the play file, there's no advantage to not being fragmented.

9. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    For default show times(30 minutes, 1 hour, etc) I would agree that fragmented drives would not be of much concern. Now though, we are adding 3 minute downloads from VOD and half downloads that stopped for some reason. I think fragmenting and bad clusters could be an issue in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.