1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20......Ebay or "D"???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Soulweeper, Oct 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    I'm one of those rare people that still hasn't gone to a DVR, but am about to. I'm ordering my cable this weekend to have it in place for the installer........If I go that route, which leads to my question: Am I any better off just getting one on Ebay? I've seen then brand new in a box form sellers with good feedback for about $225 plus shipping, so around the $250 neighborhood. Is that a good price?Of course I would still need the multiswitch, correct? I know you can get the whole thing for free if you get the right CSR in the right mood, or play the retention game, but read some posts leading me to believe they are clamping down on that kind of thing. Last service call I ended up getting my sidecar 5 lnb switched out for the slimline because of odd transponders out on 103b. Anyway, double checked after the guy left and he hadn't tightened the bolts for the elevation adjustment. No big deal, but it seems like it's always something with those people. I know they will come back out if it's wrong, but I see a lot of people that post here never have installers at their house. What I'm getting at is whether or not a lot of you do it yourselfers feel I'm just as well off getting the stuff my self and doing it? My dish is already aimed........I'm just hooking up a multiswitch, and running some cable, and putting new ends on, right? Anyway, I'm rambling...........curious what the consensus might be. Oh, I have put up a couple dishes before and ran cable and whatnot, so it's not completely foreign to me. Opinions greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance!

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    You should be able to get a better deal from DIRECTV with some patience, and eBay receivers could have problems... they might still be under lease agreement and unable to be reactivated.

3. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Some say they have "brand new" access cards, but I'm sure you still have to be careful. Some also say new in sealed box. Also, there are HR20-100 models and HR20-700 models. Obviously the HR20-700 is the one I would want, correct? I'm sure that is also the one D would send if I go that way. If I run the cable for the installer(like I did for the 5 lnb dish), all he is doing is putting ends on the cable, and hooking up the multiswitch, right? It seems there isn't much that could go wrong on something like this, but correct me If I'm wrong.

4. Bista-Buster

Bista-Buster Legend

Apr 15, 2006
    I have the silver box. Had it for a week. Is it a 100 or a 700? Will the receiver tell me without having to look at the back of it? Some kind of menu system?

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    "Setup" -> "Information & Test" will show you the exact model number.

Also, look behind the front panel access card door.

6. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    It will be on the box, which is a good idea to hold onto if your leasing, to return it if you have issues, or technology changes and you upgrade. The boxes DirecTV sends are smaller white boxes but I would advise using the original container the unit came in, the installer will let you hold on to it if you want, or you can keep it if you acquire it at a store (still leased).

Make sure if you buy other than DirecTV that they will activate it, in most cases it is fine, but you may have to purchase a new smart card, as they will not activate the one it comes with, if it comes with one at all. Leasing is like the cable companies it smart, if the unit breaks you get a replacement delivered to you.

7. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    So, is the HR20-700 the newest generation? I heard the HR20-100 runs cooler???? Just wondering which one is the better one to have.

8. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    dbstalk and DirecTV are not responsible if it doesn't work out. If you have money to burn, buy a leased unit at Best Buy or Circuit City. That way you know your really getting new, and remember it's still considered a leased unit, that way if it ever breaks you can exchange it for free or the cost of shipping if you get it at a retail store.

eBay is buyer beware, if your comfortable with the seller they may be less expensive than retail such as Best Buy, but you still are required to purchase a new smart card to marry to that unit once you get it, despite it being used or new.

Good luck, remember you might just let DirecTV know that Dish Network is offering their equipment HD DVR for free, so why don't they offer you the same? Especially if your have been a customer/established. They won't want to lose your business!

Satellite providers have been getting much turn over due to FiOS (fiber optic) TV from Verizon and AT&T's new TV products, so they may want to satisfy knowing that your knowledgeable and not gullible.

9. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...

I would order the system directly from D*. Who knows what you are getting otherwise. The unit could be faulty, the access card could be an issue, etc. Don't risk it.. order the unit and installation from D*. Less risk and liability on your end. I got my HR20 (and have seen many others on here, too) from D* for $199..so that's less than the Ebay price you saw.

10. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    First of all(and no offense), I know Directv and dbstalk are not responsible for any decision I make regarding how I get my HR20. I'm not being a jerk, just clearing that up. There are a lot of smart people here, and I like doing a lot of things myself, so kind of wanted a general consensus as to what a lot of people have done as far as that goes. I don't like those people coming and messing with my system when it's working fine. I have had good experiences with installers though, but it seems like a crap shoot. I also don't see why I'd need to purchase a new access card when some of these people selling on Ebay clearly state that they are brand new in sealed boxes with brand new, never used access cards. I most likely am going to play the game and try to get it free, or cheap, but if it doesn't work, I may as well own what I'm paying for. Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it.

11. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Most likely I will end up doing that. It would be an easy hookup for the installer, because I will run the cable the way I want ahead of time, and all he will have to do is put the ends on.

12. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    make sure the RG6 is rated for 3000 MHz which is available at Home Depot and Lowes for reasonable price. If you have RG6 that has rating of 2300 MHz that should be okay, but I recommend getting it for the 3000 MHz. It won't cost anymore for the 3000 MHz versus the 2300 MHz grade RG6, Home Depot and Lowes only carry the latest grade so you can't go wrong. If in doubt ask the clerk at one of those stores.

Not all RG6 is the same, cable companies only use it rated up to 1000 MHz. Some users have claimed it works, but the signal quality will be awful. I doubt it will work properly with the RG6 1000 MHz grade with HDTV for DirecTV equipment.

13. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    I use the Belden 1694a RG6. It's better than anything Home Depot will have. Not that Home Depot has bad cable, this stuff I know for a fact is good.

14. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    model or RG6, but it may be that it's not easily available to the average do it yourselfer. I have used the RG6 for satellite from Home Depot and it works fine. The installer left me with about 100 ft of the model you specified and in comparison on the outside it doesn't look any different. What matters is the copper core in the center can handle the bandwidth, which is specified on the RG6 itself.

15. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Right, and the 1694a is rated at 3000 MHZ......well beyond what is needed.

16. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    You are making this too complicated. Just get a good deal from DirecTV and get it over with. Owning the box is not a big deal. Unless you want to sell it later. And you can see the market is not all that great.

17. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Personally, I will never buy a sat box off of ebay. Just way to many things that can go wrong.

18. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Yeah, I'm realizing now that you're right. I am making it complicated. Just found out from another member that I won't even need a multiswitch. I'll only be using 3 out of my 4 outputs, so it will be an easy upgrade for whatever installer comes out, especially with me having the cable already ran. I appreciate the opinions though. I guess I confused something simple like this with the many other "do it yourself" things that people do here that are actually more complicated and worth doing yourself.I'll try to save my questions for the more complicated stuff that a lot of the installers actually can screw up:D Not all of them just some.

19. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    One other thing I just thought of........once I run the cable, all that is left is putting connectors on each end, connecting it to the dish and HR20, and calling and activating it, right? I don't even need a multiswitch. Maybe that could work to my advantage when talking to D as far as getting a good deal. If I tell them I just need the HR20, and I'll hook it up myself, they may work a better deal. I could try that If I can't get a good deal at first.

20. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I have purchased several receivers over the years and have never had a bad one. There are a couple things to make this possible:

1. Search for new-in-box/sealed ones. These automatically come with their original access cards (meaning the CAM ID # or card # matches the label on the box) that themselves should be in a sealed plastic bag affixed to the receiver.

2. Buy from someone with a lot of positive feedback but who also has a substantial history of selling such equipment. There are often legitimate dealers who sell receivers on ebay. Individual persons do, but not often, sell new-in-box items. I have, but those are only ones I never got around to actually using.

3. When in doubt, ask the seller to confirm that the receiver is new, never activated, with its original access card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.