1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20 First Run only?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by exposfan, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. exposfan

exposfan New Member

Nov 20, 2006
    OK, I've added an HR20-100 to go with my HR10-250. I've entered all my season passes in the HR20, most of them as First Run only. However, every episode since the dawn of time is being recorded.

For instance, Stargate SG-1. We've already seen every episode (on the 10-250). All I want are the new ones. Is the HR20 so "dumb" that First Run Only translates to "Every Episode" on a new HR20? Meaning I'll be weeding through & deleting literally hundreds of reruns? Aren't there "flags" of some kind telling the HR20 what's new & what's a repeat? No?

Say it ain't so...tell me I'm doing something wrong...:nono2:

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    It all depends on the quality of the Guide Data.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    There is an overwhelming dependency on the receiver's ability to correctly interpret the guide data. If the HR10 continues to do first run consistently, one would assume that the HR20's first run implementation is broken.

4. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    When setting up your passes there are 3 choices..."First Run", "Repeats" and "Both". Make sure you chose the "First Run" option. Also, IF there is no guide info for a particular episode, you may run into an instance where you have 2 of the same programs recording within hours of each other. Its rare but happens.

5. TiVoPrince

TiVoPrince AllStar

May 10, 2007
    Only one
    Stargate SG-1 first run episode remaining. Problem solved...

6. dragonbait

dragonbait Legend

Jan 20, 2007
    You may be seeing it record the episodes you used as templates to setup you box. The HR20 records the espisode that use you as a template for a series regardless of whether it meets first run criteria or not.

Beyond that it does depend on the guide data.

7. exposfan

exposfan New Member

Nov 20, 2006
    Hmmm. Why would the guide data be any different for my HR20-100 as it would be for yours, or for anybody else's, for that matter. Is this a problem with the 20-100, but not the 20-700? But then again there's a lot of 20-100's out there by now.

These are not OTA programs. These are regular DTV channels. I have entered First Run Only. I am having to delete old repeats every day, and the To-Do list shows a lengthy list of episodes that will be recorded (all ancient repeats), so it appears that it's not just the "template" episode I used to set up the Series Link. It's happening on Stargate, 24, CSI, etc...so it's not limited to just one show.

It would also seem to me that it's not a software problem on the 20-100 as then I would see huge throngs of people screaming about this...:confused:

Thoughts?

8. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I have a running theory that the hr20 knows what it recorded before. First run to it means first time it saw it. I think it collects the data it requires from the source and recognizes it as new or old to itself, not to the world. I have mine set to record first run on many programs and it records all episodes until they start to repeat, even previous episodes. Keep in mind this is my experience only and not confirmed by any documentation.

9. exposfan

exposfan New Member

Nov 20, 2006
    I'll buy that -- it's the only valid conclusion left. REALLY poor choice of wording (First Run) by DTV. Misleading. Sigh...:nono2:

10. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    And one would be wrong making that assumption. The HR10(and all DTivo units) guide data is from a different source since Tivo massages it. The same massaging of the data is not currently being done for D* in-house DVR's.

11. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    All I know is that if I want to pick up past episodes of a series I have not recorded in the past, I can set it to first run. It will grab any episode regardless of rerun status until it "sees" the same episode twice.

I will have to prove this again since it has been many CE's since I have tested this.

12. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Many of the shows in syndication do not indicate that they are repeats. Check your favorite TV listings to see if there are repeat flags associated with the programs in question.

13. flashfast

flashfast AllStar

Dec 12, 2006
    These options on Time Warners DVR's always work very well. Rarely is a repeat recorded when the record only the first-run option is chosen. I'm certain it's because they use a very, very, very detailed guide. Anyone whose had their service will know what I'm talking about. D* needs to follow that example with their guide or whoever provides the service needs to.

14. falken

falken Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    I have no idea how the HR20 determines in the episode is First Run or a Repeat, but the flags for these are often wrong.

The HR10 Tivo uses the "Original Air Date" that is present in the extended guide information (which i'm not sure you can even view on the HR20).

If the HR20 is using the First Run/Repeat flag that could explain the differences.

15. cdc101

cdc101 Godfather

Jan 8, 2007
    I've had the same problem with SG-1 as well. What I've noticed is the episodes that don't have a year in parenthesis in the info section, will record. I guess the HR-20 'thinks' it's new since it's not old (no date to associate an old episode with)...IMHO of course. :)

RIP SG-1...

16. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Try recording something on Comedy Central using the 1st run option. It doesnt matter what dvr or provider you have....SOuth Park, Daily Show, Colbert Report, David Spade show, any of that stuff has absolutely lousy guide data on every provider.

17. funhouse69

funhouse69 Icon

Mar 26, 2007
    I have had pretty good luck with the HR20 **Knock On Wood** and First Run shows Like the Soprano's, Two and a Half Men & How I met your Mother. It also did perfect on Planet Earth for which I am very grateful for.

Keep in mind that I only use my HR20 for HD Content and my SD D* TiVO's for SD Content so maybe I've just been lucky with the choice of shows so far. I have heard that the HR20 is not as reliable with it's Episode determining as other D* DVR's. Here is hoping that changes in the very near future.

To be fair a while back I missed pretty much the whole season of Rescue me I assume due to bad data as I didn't have any other conflicts. This was on an SD D* TiVO. Needless to say I was not happy.

So it seems like at one of the other posters said here a DVR is only as good as the data is it provided.

18. falken

falken Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    I have had a no First Run missed recordings for South Park on the HR10-250, and only a few repeats recorded (3-4 a year maybe).

Now MTV... nothing on MTV has anything but generic guide data.

19. mcaldero

mcaldero AllStar

Feb 3, 2006
    I also just added an HR20-700 last week to go with two existing HR10-250s. I programmed in some Series Link passes for FIRST RUN only, and the dumb box recored several shows over the past week that were clearly marked as "Reruns" in the guide data. Even though I still have two HD Tivos in other rooms, I already miss the Tivo software in the bedroom on the newly installed HR20.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.