Hr20 Internet connection

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by flyaeger, Apr 13, 2015.

1. flyaeger

flyaeger New Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Morgan Hill, CA
    I have two hr24s and an hr20 connected on a whole home network.
    I have an hr24 with a cck in the dining room. It connects to my wireless internet just fine.
    I have an hr24 without a cck in the bedroom. It connects to my wireless internet just fine.
    I have an hr20 in the living room. It will not connect to my wireless internet.
    A directv rep told me that I need a second cck attached to the hr20 in order to connect to the Internet, and that if I had a newer model (hr24, genie) it would connect to the Internet without the need for a second cck.
    Does this make sense?

2. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    The HR20 needs needs an external DECA. And depending on which HR20 you have, it may need a special set up when connecting the DECA

3. flyaeger

flyaeger New Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Morgan Hill, CA
    So the hr24 and genie don't need that external DECA to connect to the Internet?

4. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    The HR24 and Genie do not need an external DECA in order to talk to each other over coax. Their internal DECAs take care of that. The DECA you have at the HR24 is a cinema connect kit (may be wired or wireless). Does it have an ethernet cable connected to it? If not then it is a wireless CCK and it is being used to bridge your coax network to your home WiFi. If it has an ethernet cable that connects to your home router, or a switch then it is bridging your coax and home network over that.

The HR20 does not have an internal DECA built into it. So right now it can not see your other DirecTV receivers, or the internet. It should hopefully have a bandstop filter on it since it does not have a DECA. The CSR you talked to was correct, if you want your HR20 to see your other DirecTV receivers and connect to the internet then you should add a DECA to it. There are other ways you could accomplish this as well if you really want to dig into it.

Please answer a couple questions and we may be able to help you.

What model HR20 is it? Check under the flap with the red button/access card for a sticker that lists the model number. It should be something like HR20-100, or HR20-500 etc.

Do you have an ethernet hookup near the HR20?

Do you have a wired or wireless CCK?

Do you have good WiFi signal where the HR20 is located?

5. flyaeger

flyaeger New Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Beer stalker,

Thanks for the helpful information. I am getting a free upgrade to a Genie to replace my hr20, so that should solve my problems.

To answer your questions

I have an hr20-700. My Ethernet hookup is not near the hr20. I have a wireless cck. I do have a good wifi signal to the hr20 (I use a Roku with the same TV).

6. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    If you were to keep the HR20 you would need an external DECA. If you get an HR44, the tech will remove the CCK-W and use the 44's built in wifi. Although he made choose to connect via BroadBand DECA if at all possible.

7. flyaeger

flyaeger New Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Morgan Hill, CA
    The cck is attached to an hr24 which I will keep, not to my hr20 which will be replaced by the Genie. Will he still remove the cck? Will I still be connected to the Internet from my two hr24s as well as the Genie? I don't really understand how the different receivers connect to my wireless wifi with the existing (hr24 w cck, hr24 w/o cck) or new configuration.

8. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    As per DIRECTV® policy, he must if you get an HR44. If you get an HR34, then he may use that to connect to the internet or he can use a BroadBand DECA.

9. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Sure, the HR44 has wifi built in, but like I said, he may also choose to use a BroadBand DECA which basically gives you a hard wired connection instead of wireless

10. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    don't blame you, this stuff can get a bit complicated. But I trust that the tech would do right for you, all you need to do is to make sure your system is connected to the internet before he leaves,

11. flyaeger

flyaeger New Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Peds48,

Thanks for all your answers. I'll be sure to check everything out before the tech leaves.

12. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    PEDs48, please correct me if I'm wrong. I believe if he wants to he could move the wireless CCK to his HR20 and hook up a short ethernet cord between the HR20 and the W-CCK. Then the W-CCK would work as both his CCK over WiFi and as a DECA to get the HR20 online won't it? Or does hooking up an ethernet cord to the W-CCK disable the WiFi, I can't remember?

I'm sure this isn't an approved method, but it might work for him in the short term until he gets the Genie installed.

13. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    that would be a work around, although as you mentioned is not supported

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk