1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hr20 not working with Sharp aquos

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by nance, Sep 14, 2009.

1. nance

nance Cool Member

Apr 16, 2008
    I have a Hr20-700 and recently it has stopped working with my Sharp Aquos--(just verified all outputs work with Toshiba). I have tried all 3 hdmi inputs with different cords and component on both inputs and I don't get picture. The Sharp does work with if I run the component to the Slingbox and use the output of slingbox to the TV. All other equipment, Tivo hd pro, Sony BlueRay work on every input of the TV. Why not the HR20? I have tried resetting the unit and restarted it several times. I have tried all the output resolutions using the FORMAT buttong and the RES button on the front panel. The only output this TV can see is the composite. Any ideas?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Sounds like your HR20's video outputs died. Have you tried toggling all of the different video output resolutions (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i) using the remote's FORMAT button or the RES button on the front panel? Also, do the composite (yellow RCA) or SVideo outputs work?

3. nance

nance Cool Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Thanks for the reply. I don't think the outputs all died, otherwise it seems that the slingbox wouldn't have been able to work with the component, and when I run the component through the slingbox to the tv it works fine. At least I can get pic when I input to slingbox and then out to tv... Just hate all the extra wires. Composite works fine to the tv without having to run through the slingbox. -- Forgot about the format button as I had it set on native... I just took the box upstairs to see if it works with my Toshiba with hdmi and it did, so the output is ok.... Why can't my Sharp see it?

4. fornold

fornold Legend

Sep 4, 2006
    I have an HR20 hooked up to an Aquos by hdmi with no problem. Not sure why its not working for you though.

5. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Did you try the component directly to the TV?

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Did you try the different video output resolutions when it was connected to your Sharp HDTV?

7. crawdad62

crawdad62 Godfather

Jul 16, 2008
    Let me get this straight. Your HR20 will output fine to your Toshiba via HDMI? Your Sharp will accept HDMI just not the HR20? But it will accept the HR20 signal via component? Correct? Have you tried resetting the HR20?

8. nance

nance Cool Member

Apr 16, 2008
    No, with original post it only worked with composite (s-vid), unless run thru slingbox and then out from slingbox to tv. That gave an inverior quality... However, after resetting the tv yesterday, without any cables connected yesterday evening, I finally was able to connect using component directly from HR20-700 to Sharp. This AM I did a total reset on HR20 and tested using all different output resolutions and inupts on TV and different cables and I still can't use HDMI only directly to Sharpe but can to Toshiba, but at least it is better than composite, ---I just didn't want all the extra cables.. Seems like other people on other threads are having similar issues with HDMI as of today... Wonder if the upgrades are causing issues. Againk, I did a total reset on the box and tried all output types and all cables and inputs today to see if HDMI would start working, but still only works with the Toshiba on HDMI--but that is upstairs we don't use that set much.