1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hr20 or 21 -100 or 700 should I care

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by HGS, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HGS

HGS Cool Member

Oct 11, 2007
    I have been trying to find comparisons of the HD DVR's presently available with a new install, which I will have on oct 26. As farr as I can tell the only functional 'feature' that seems to differentiate the HR20's from the HR21 is whether or not there is an OTA antenna connection.

Is there any reason, other than OTA reception, that I should prefer HR21 to HR20, or the HR20-100 to the HR20-700 ?

If the installer brings one of these and I want another model what are my chances ?

2. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Other than the lack of OTA, there is no functional difference between the HR21 and the HR20's.

As of now, you're more likely to get an HR20 as the HR21's aren't in the distribution stream yet.

As for the HR20-700 v HR20-100 - not much difference there. The -100 has its cooling vents on the sides and bottom and runs cooler than the -700, which has its vents on the top. The -100 also has a digital coax audio output jack that the -700 lacks. But there is no way to guarantee which one you will get unless you go to a store and buy one yourself, and even then the stores usually only have one model. When it comes to the install, you're limited to whatever the driver has in the truck.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    :welcome_s to DBSTalk.
    If the installer brings one of these and I want another model what are my chances ?

One that works is what you want.
    The HR21 doesn't have OTA & the HR20-100 has coax DD, that the -700 doesn't.
    Just make sure you have good SAT levels and everything works well, would be what I would be looking for.

4. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    ...and don't forget the pretty black case... :lol:

If people by cars for the color, I suspect they'll get a DVR that matches their black-cased TV or equipment, if that's what they have.... :D

5. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Where are people getting the idea that the HR21 is a "substitute" for the HR20? Has D* made any such statement? The 20 and the 21 are completely different models, functionally. One has OTA the other doesn't.

That's like selling me a VCR-DVD Recorder combo, one with a tuner, the other without and not letting me decide which I want.

The choice currently is HR20-700 or HR20-100....the HR21 doesn't even come into the picture. If you order an HR20....you get an HR20-700 or an HR20-100. Has anyone ordered an HR20 and gotten an HR21?

Please, let's stop setting up this false choice. You can have a choice of HR20 or HR21....this means you know that the HR21 has no OTA. Putting the HR21 in the same mix as not knowing whether you will get a -100 or -700 of the HR20 cannot possibly be accurate.

We can't be put in the position of ordering an HR20 and receiving an HR21...that's pure bait and switch.

I ordered a 2nd HR20 about a month ago, to be installed November 6th. If they show up with an HR21, it's going back to D* and they can start the order over. I ordered an HD DVR with OTA, not an OTA-less replacement.

I know what I ordered and why, here's hoping the CSR that took the order does as well and isn't as confused as some of the postings in this thread appear to be.:)

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Hopefully the new CSR scripts will at least ask people if they need an antenna hookup. That would solve the HR20 vs. HR21 issue. As far as -100 vs. -700 they are functionally identical, very few differences.

7. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Yep, I don't care whether they bring a -100 or -700 (although I have a soft spot in the old ticker for the 700), just don't bring me an HR21...I didn't order one.

Nothing against the HR21....it would serve me well in another location in the house....but it cannot be used in the location I just ordered for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.