HR20 picture randomly, briefly goes out.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by spec2, Jul 22, 2014.

1. spec2

spec2 Cool Member

Oct 1, 2007
    Recently when watching TV the picture will briefly disappear then reappear. The whole episode is maybe 2-3 seconds. The picture resumes normally, if I rewind to the point the picture went out that part of the program is not missing and I can watch it with no issues. There is never any picture or audio stuttering and the receiver itself does not reset.

The HR20 is connected to a Yamaha AVR-4308Ci receiver and a Sony VPL-VW50 projector.

My question is this: does this sound like an HR20 issue or some other equipment? With the picture briefly going out something is losing a signal, just not sure what component, but since the HR20 is always working I'm starting there.

2. tworivers1

tworivers1 Cool Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Are you using an HDMI Cable? If so that could be the problem. Try with composite cables. Just a thought.

3. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    Connect the HR20 directly to the TV for a bit and see if it still happens.

4. bakers12

bakers12 ΔS > 0

May 29, 2007
    Chicago -...
    What channels does this happen to? My HR20-700 will give me a hard time with some OTA channels if I view them recorded or out of the buffer, that is, anything but live up to the moment.

5. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I have the same problem with an 82" Mitsubishi DLP TV. In my case, In my case, it happens once every few months. I'm pretty certain that it's the TV and not the DVR, since the problem has occurred with both an HR21 and an HR44. However, I'm not certain that it's not DirecTV related because I don't recall ever having the same problem when watching a Blu-ray or Netflix. On the other hand, I watch DirecTV far more often than I watch Blu-rays or Netflix. So, as infrequently as the problem occurs, it makes sense that it occurs while watching DirecTV.