1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20 Rain death...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mobamoba, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mobamoba

mobamoba Mentor

Aug 8, 2007
    Twice now my HR20 has frozen during rain and been unable to recover without an RBR. Once, everything froze (I could see the pixelated picture stuck on my TV screen and the remote didn't do anything). The second time was today; Tuner 2 got stuck in a 771 Searching for Satellite with a frozen, pixelated pictured on screen. Tuner 1 seemed to be working.

The frustrating thing is that the HR20 couldn't bounce back on its own. As people have noted in other threads, who wants to babysit a DVR? Why isn't there some kind of error detection built in - like if it's getting a 771 error for more than 5 minutes and there's nothing to record in the next 30, it will automatically reboot itself? Is there any error detection/correction in this thing?

2. John in Georgia

John in Georgia Godfather

Sep 24, 2006
    Not sure, but this is probably why so many knowledgeable people on this forum recommend uninterruptible power supplies. It's never been an issue for me personally, but I can understand your frustration.

Many electronics will resume operation when power is re-applied (HVAC, fridge, microwave, etc. --except for the clocks [​IMG] , (but others will not -- television, HD/DVR).

3. mobamoba

mobamoba Mentor

Aug 8, 2007
    As a note, I didn't lose power. The rain caused signal loss, not power loss, and the HR20 couldn't bounce back from the lost signal.

4. Racer88

Racer88 Icon

Sep 12, 2006
    What does a UPS have to do with rain fade???:shrug:

Yes this is the flakiest box I've ever seen when coping with rain fade. It doesn't always happen but mines crashed several times due to rain fade.

5. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    A UPS is completely irrelevant here. I also get the occasional hard lockups during/after a rain fade outage. Power is not lost.

6. John in Georgia

John in Georgia Godfather

Sep 24, 2006
    Sorry mobamo -- bad assumption on my part.

7. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Your advice is still good, in general. :)

8. ccr1958

ccr1958 Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    i wish in the settings there was a reset scheduler....
    i really think this software has some serious memory
    & resource loss after extended use...would be nice to
    be able to setup a menu reset like at 4am every monday
    or whatever is handy for each user

9. ejjames

ejjames Icon

Oct 2, 2006
    My 10-250's seem to fair worse than my HR20's. The tivos are what I find myself rebooting after rain fades.

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Let us know how it works out long term.

11. Bista-Buster

Bista-Buster Legend

Apr 15, 2006
    Can rain fade also create problems with pre-recorded shows? I ask this because a friend of mine said if you have a signal loss, you CANNOT watch a recorded show. Is this true?

12. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Not true. You might see an annoying "Searching for Satellite" message, though.

13. MarkDG

MarkDG New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    I've only had my HR20 for about a month now but twice (during bad weather one of the times), i'll be recording a show and suddenly the screen will go black on me for a min or three and come back on....then i cant fast forward to real time but its still playing and recording. After its done with the recording, all that was left was a full hour of a black screen. Anybody else have issues like this?

14. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I certainly don't have any different equipment than anyone else, but I have not experienced lock-ups with either HR20 during or after rain outs(call it fade if you want, it doesn't fade, it goes "out"!). We get lots of short bursts of heavy rain which blocks the signal, especially 103b, but the machines continue to run. My old Tivo's were another story, resets often after a storm. Most devices in my home are on UPS.

15. SlimyPizza

SlimyPizza Legend

Oct 14, 2006

Is that bug still in the current software version? I remember this happened to me awhile back (rain caused signal loss so I decided to watch some recorded shows - the searching for signal message was a total hindrance). I'd hoped that "feature" was gone now.

16. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    The HR20,21 temporarily lose signal on non-spotbeam, but I still get OTA, I just change to an OTA channel and it will be fine. If it has a scheduled program it shows pixelation while it's heavy rain, never light rain. I have not lost any signal over the past three rainy days here in Massachusetts, it wasn't heavy enough.

I don't think you can blame DirecTV for heavy downpours and storms, all satellites, even DishNetwork will have issues, it's the way all satellite providers are. So it's not necessarily an HR20/HR21 issue, it's inclement weather.

The newer Ka band is much more likely than the Ku band to have issues with bad weather.

If it is a issue with firmware I'm sure it will be addressed and fixed with an update.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.