1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20 Replacement with OTA

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by 311Man, Oct 14, 2010.

1. 311Man

311Man Godfather

Oct 20, 2007
    I have an HR20 that I utilize OTA with that for the past few weeks sounds like it is ready for take off even though the unit is turned off.

I called Directv about some programming changes and as a long time customer they offered to replace the unit for free. I questioned the CSR about having a replacement that would be able to provide the OTA capabilities. Understanding the newer units require an AM21 the CSR seem clueless to what i was talking about. I did not get the unit ordered on that call but my account stats that I can get a replacement unit for free.

When I call back to get the unit is Directv obligated to provide the AM21 and is there any chance that I would get an HR20 replacement.

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    In reality, your account is allowing you to get an additional DVR for free, not a replacement DVR. If you take that offer, you most likely will not get an HR20 as they will ship out whatever is available and you would then need to purchase an AM21.

The only way you would somewhat be guaranteed an HR20 as a replacement unit is if your current HR20 died and it needed to be replaced. When that happens, the CSR has a flag that they check that you use OTA. When the warehouse sees that flag, they are supposed to send out an HR20. Of course, this process doesn't always work either.

- Merg

3. AntonyB

AntonyB Legend

May 2, 2008
    My interpretation is a little different: I think that you have been offered a replacement DVR based on your call complaining that the existing HR20 is making a lot of noise.

But no matter whether it is a replacement or an additional DVR: If you were to follow through and accept that offer then, as Merg says, the CSR will get to a point in the paperwok where he will have to state whether or not the customer needs off air tuner capability. The CSR may not have a clue what that means, nor recognize the fact that saying "yes" means you should be sent either an HR20 (with built-in OTA) or a different HR* with an outboard AM21, but he has to answer the question. If he answers it "yes", you may get an HR20, but you definitely should get OTA capabilities one way or another (if you do not, call and get it replaced). I've been told this several times recently by D*TV, and the process worked fine during my most recent experience (I received a replacement HR20).

Good luck.

4. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    I suggest you do this -Setup a Service call and demand a HR20 as a replacement, of course they wiill setup an appointment and tell you they can not guarantee that the service person wiill have one, However when the truck arrives demand one and the service person will need too reschedule your appoinment (with his supervisor) and note the account as needing a HR20 as the only replacement.

The next Service van will have one.

This takes time on your part, but you are the customer and you should be able to have the product you want. D* still as plenty of HR20's

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    My apologies, I was a little tired when I first read the OP's issue.

As you currently have an HR20 and are looking at getting a replacement due to it being defective, there is a flag that the CSR should check. Basically, it is a flag that you are currently using OTA. By doing that, when the request gets to the warehouse, they should send out an HR20. If they don't, they should rectify the issue for you.

This is basically the one of the few exceptions to guaranteeing what model receiver you get.

- Merg

6. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    You can "demand" all you want, but that and $2 will get you a cup of McCoffee. As previous posters have pointed out, all that is necessary is for the CSR to click the "needs OTA" box during the standard processing for a replacement receiver, and the OP will (99% of the time) receive an HR20.

Note that DirecTV does NOT give out free AM21s, except for certain, specific, rare situations. Their process is designed to fulfill an HR20 if OTA is required. AM21s are optional, user-purchased items, not "included" items.

7. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    And I suggest the OP NOT do this, unless he's an 8 year old.

8. 311Man

311Man Godfather

Oct 20, 2007
    I called today and talked to a CSR who indicated that they would place the request for an HR20 since I have OTA requirements. They are drop shipping the unit so we will find out in a few days what I will get.

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Let us know how it turns out.

- Merg

10. d0ug

d0ug Legend

Mar 22, 2006
    my hr20-700 is also making a high pitched noise that i thought was the internal hd or fan. it made this noise for about 2 months, i was quite frankly too busy and when i wasnt i just didnt feel like fussing with it. the box finally died about a week ago and and i just tonight got to cracking the box open to see what was up

it turned out to be 2 blown caps on the 12v rail of the power supply. as soon as i removed the bad caps the noise is gone. seems the caps were shorting out the transformer because thats where the noise was coming from.

I have 2 new caps on order from digikey. total cost of $1.34 + whatever the shipping turns out to be and hopefully ill have a working dvr by the end of the week

if not i guess ill have to turn to ebay to seek out another owned box. dont feel like having my contract reuped to replace the box

11. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    If you have the protection plan an owned box is replaced by an owned box which doesn't re-up your contract.

12. d0ug

d0ug Legend

Mar 22, 2006
    i do not have a protection plan, have always considered those a waste of money. ive been a directv customer since 03 and have never had to replace a box till possibly this one. we will find out once i swap the caps

protection plan is $5 a month right? so in the time ive been a customer i could have bought 2 more boxes for the cost of that protection plan ive never had to use. I also setup my own dish, SWM, and cabling, so ive no need for them to ever come out to troubleshoot that equipment, because i know how to troubleshoot all that as well

13. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    You can turn on the protection plan and use it immediately, that's what I did when I first needed it. Since then I've just kept the PP because it makes sense. With it they replace owned with owned, come and re-aim your dish at any time at no cost, replace wiring if needed at no cost, etc.

If I remember right it's $6 a month.

14. bwclark

bwclark Legend

Nov 10, 2005

Negative...there is a 30 day wait on the use of a new sub. to the PP.

15. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Even with the PP they just don't come out to re-aim your dish at any time at no cost, they will only come out if there is a low signal issue due to mis-alignment.

16. d0ug

d0ug Legend

Mar 22, 2006
    And really if your dish is already roughly aimed and only out of alignment slightly from being bumped, wind, or temp changes, then even a novice can retune the aim in less than 15min. Its only a bit tricker if its a brand new setup and youve gotta figure out roughly where its gotta be aimed 1st.

17. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    No there isn't. I signed up for the PP and used it the same day to get a replacement receiver shipped for free.

18. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    They will come out and re-aim your dish at any time it's needed at no cost. Didn't know I needed to be that precise.

19. Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    Count me as rare.

When a HR21 replaced my HR10-250, as part of the MPEG4 HD swap...one call to D* (...yes a long one, as I got passed around to a few people until somebody knew what an AM21 was)...and I was sent a free AM21.

20. 311Man

311Man Godfather

Oct 20, 2007
    I called D* and they told them about the OTA situation and the CSR said they would flag the order for a HR20. They also said they were going to drop ship the unit for replacement.

One concern I have is on my online account under "Orders" it shows the HD DVR order but the status says Unscheduled call 1-800-###-#### to schedule. Also indicates Profession Installation.

Why would I need professional installation to replace a unit? Now I am not sure if they actually are shipping the unit. I placed order on the 16th...not sure how long it takes for them to ship.