HR20 Router Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by gte747e, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gte747e

gte747e New Member

May 31, 2007
    I have a Wireless Router in my bedroom and my HT in my den. I use my PS3 via wireless.

I also ran a CAT-5 cable to the den - but just one. What is my best option for "splitting" these. I could use one for my HR20, one for Denon receiver, and another extra for either PS3 or future use.

Do I just purchase a regular router? Any specific one? Suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Sackett

Sackett Legend

May 21, 2007
    If I am understanding what you are saying is that you ran a cat-5 cable from one of your ports on your wireless router to your den where all of your equipment is, correct? If so, all you need to get is a switch. I would recommend an 8 port switch. Manufacture doesn't really matter, but usually I try to keep the same manufactures together, so what is the brand of your wireless router?

3. gte747e

gte747e New Member

May 31, 2007
    Thanks. You are correct regarding my setup. My router is a modem/router combo and it is a 2Wire (from BellSouth/AT&T DSL).

So as I understand it, this switch will enable me to get up to 8 connections from this one wire?

4. Sackett

Sackett Legend

May 21, 2007
    Well no, you can get up to 7 devices, because one will be the cat-5 from your 2wire. Also because it is a 2wire, as far as I know they do not make a 2wire switch. You can get an linksys/netgear/ect... Since you are in ATL, I would recommend Fry's or Microcenter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.