1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20 RV compatable?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bushead, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bushead

bushead Cool Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Does anyone know if the HR20 is certified to use in an RV? I know I read something about DVR's not generally being good for that type of application, but I can't seem to find a list of RV "certified" recievers - if such a list exists.

2. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    I would expect it to be as good as a computer.. just make sure the power is off when traveling (so harddrive will park)

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    You might want to PM Spanky_Partain, I understand he's got Hi-Def and Couch to Go.

4. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I sure you probably will be you do need to have a SAT signal for the HR20 to boot up. So if you don't have one you can not just take it to watch recorded shows.

5. Beardedbosn

Beardedbosn Mentor

Dec 9, 2002
    Another question for RV use is will the unit record without a phone line attached??

6. moparman76_69

moparman76_69 Cool Member

Aug 15, 2007
    I can answer that one :) yes it will still work properly without a phone connection, you won't be able to order ppv from your remote, but that shouldn't matter.

7. philslc

philslc Legend

Dec 2, 2006
    I have an HR-20 in my RV. I have 101, 110 and 117 now. Still working on a way to get 99 and 103. Motosat says they are working on the problem.

8. Beardedbosn

Beardedbosn Mentor

Dec 9, 2002
    :) Thanks moparman76_69. I have "E" experience but was not sure about the HR20.

9. DFDureiko

DFDureiko Godfather

Feb 20, 2006
    Dont' you mean 119?
    I have a Motosat MHDTV that get's 101,110,119. I had called Motosat over the last year. The last time was about 4 months ago and they said at that time they had no plans for a five LNB dish or upgrade. I have an an HR10 with a Samsung 23in HDTV. also sometimes run off a trace U2512 inverter, everthing works great except we cant get the new programing on the new sat's this septemer. So no point in upgrading to the HR20 until there was a way to access the other sats
    have you been givin a timeline for a Motosat Upgrade?
    Dan

10. philslc

philslc Legend

Dec 2, 2006
    Dan,

Actually, I mean 101, 110, 117 and 119. I don't use the 119 so, I don't think about it.

I have a Datastorm internet dish with transmit and receive on 117 plus BOW receive on 101, 110 and 119.

I visited Motosat in June and they were playing with 99 and 103 but no solution yet. They did say there would not be an upgrade to the MHDTV system. Their 5 SAT prototype was much larger than the MHDTV.

11. DFDureiko

DFDureiko Godfather

Feb 20, 2006
    which means no doubt more expensive than the MHDTV.
    Needless to say, there must be some po'ed MHDTV owners that purchased this with the understanding they were to recieve DirecTV HD programming. (I purchased mine less than a year ago, september '06) and it's obsolete in less than a year.
    I am beyond dissappointed in the way Motsat is handling this.

We are looking at a newer airstream and I'm thinking to go with the MD500 and switch our household over to DISH. as I believe the MD500 gets most HD?

12. Beardedbosn

Beardedbosn Mentor

Dec 9, 2002
    This is another thread I came across. I look around DBSTalk to gather information on the "D" products in case the deals for new suscribers get too good to resist
    :grin:

I fulltime RV and this weekend I am sitting in a grove of trees without the dish attached and can still watch previously recorded with an "E" SD DVR. The information I got is that you cannot do that with an HR20. That lack of function would make it hard for me to say the unit was "RV Certified"

Chris

13. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    To answer the issue in your subject line:

As long as when booting up it can see the sats, you can watch any recorded program on the drive. If it would be without power when you are driving around and then you turned it on and you didnt have the dish pointed at the satelittes, it will not play previous recordings. So it CAN be used without a dish in that situation. You cant disconnect the sat cables, take it to a friends house and playback previous recordings, unless he has a D* sat dish. It MUST see at least 101 when you plug it in.

14. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    The no-satellite issue on boot up is a known bug. A while back, DirecTV tested a CE release that was supposed to fix that issue. It didn't and that correction was pulled back. It is assumed that they will eventually get back to fix that bug but I haven't seen anything on it recently.

15. bushead

bushead Cool Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Thanks for the help guys. From reading the replys, I assume it is not a good idea to run the HR20 while driving? - we have an in-motion satellite connected

16. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The HR20 has a hard drive. The risk of running it while driving it motion damage to the drive (hit a bump or something). The in-motion dish/antenna most likely does not receive the two new mpeg4 satellite positions (99 and 103), so you won't be getting the new HD offerings.

Carl

17. techntrek

techntrek Godfather

Apr 26, 2007
    carl6 - yes it has a hard drive but like all modern drives, it can handle a fair amount of abuse. I wouldn't worry about running it while going down the road.

18. moparman76_69

moparman76_69 Cool Member

Aug 15, 2007
    I'd say as long as you're on a somewhat smooth highway you'd be fine. If you have to go down a rough road or field then I'd power it down before you do.

19. Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    My father now lives in an RV, their computer runs all the time while they are driving with no issues.

20. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    A desktop or a laptop. Most desktops are not meant to be used that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.