1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20 Screen Saver???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Mike P, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike P

Mike P Legend

Feb 10, 2007
    It seems like the HR20's default screen saver turns on, if I have my HR20 paused for at least 2 - 3 minutes (to prevent screen burn on plasmas).

My question is: Is there anyway to maually turn on the screen saver so that I don't have to wait those 2-3 minutes. Because, I like being able to pause my show that I'm watching & go to the bathroom or change our baby's diaper., etc.

Please advise..... Thanks! :)

- Mike P -

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    no there is not

3. Mike P

Mike P Legend

Feb 10, 2007
    Earl: Thanks for the info. Oh well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Dual Buffers though. Thanks again!

- Mike P. -

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    You really shouldn't have any burn-in risk, even with a 2-3 minute still video image. Just be sure your brightness/contrast settings are not outrageous.

5. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Also on your plasma, make sure you have your anti-burn features turned on.
    On my Pioneer they call it orbit mode (different makers have different names).

It also has a 2nd option, that if it detects a static image for more then 5 minutes, it dims down the power on the screen.

Burn-in is difficult on a plasma (I have had an image up there that was 95% static, for over 6 hours....). I ended up with image rentention (which is different from burn-in, even though it works the same) 10 minutes on a regular broadcast, no problems.

I have had the TV now, about 3.5 years... and no problems.
    Video Games, TiVo, HR20, and a now 5.5 year old... no burn in.

6. mtnagel

mtnagel Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2006
    I wouldn't say burn-in is that difficult. At work, they replaced cardboard posters with "plasma posters" within the last year and they have horrible burn-in. It makes my cringe every time I walk by them and think about how much we paid for them. Of course they could have had one static image on their for a long time for all I now. They never show video, just static images that are announcements and they rotate, but maybe there was only 1 announcement, so that caused the burn-in. Obviously this is very different from how a user would watch tv at home though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.