HR20 - useful to anyone?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by falz, Jan 5, 2019.

1. falz

falz AllStar

Aug 15, 2007
    Hello,

About 6 months ago I cancelled DirecTV, mostly to cord cut / save $ but also because I'm not a fan of ATT.

Anyhow, I have two HR20 (unsure sub #) that I've had since 2007 or so. One I purchased, the other is leased. If it matters, I disconnected them from sat before cancelling so they're perhaps unaware of that status.

Would they be of value to anyone here? On ebay I'm seeing mixed messages- sold for $20, $40, and one for $120 for some reason.

Just checking before I bring them to the electronics recycler.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    perhaps for someone who do repair of such devices...

3. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    There is no way to get them Authorized. I think the people who buy this stuff on eBay must have installer contacts in DTV that allow them to get them activated. A normal caller will just hit a brick wall with an HR20. I tried it a year ago and had no success.

4. B Newt

B Newt Icon

Aug 12, 2007
    Yank out the hard drives. Save them for a desktop computer.

5. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    Those harddrives are likely more than 10 years old and too small or slow to use in a computer. I wouldn't a dime for one of those old HR20s but someone else might.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    it full of rare components which are worth more then "a dime" !

7. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    The owned HR20 could be sold on eBay and activated by someone else. The one catch is that apparently people who have been switched to AT&T billing can't do that - dunno if that's just a limitation of AT&T's system not being able to do everything Directv's did which will be fixed, or if it is intentional.

But it couldn't hurt putting it on eBay if you think making $20-$40 is worth your trouble, making sure to provide the RID number - tell potential buyers they are responsible for calling Directv and verifying they will be able to activate it on their account and you won't be responsible for someone who buys it and can't.

The other one should be recycled, which you can do either locally if you have a place that will take it or go to directv.com/recycle because no one else will be able to use it.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    It can be used for debugging SWiM equipment … if you could get some old version of FW (factory one)