1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20 vs HR10

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jodyguercio, Aug 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Seriously,
    I have been looking to upgrade to the HR20 so that I can receive the new D* HD programs but from reading all the problems that everyone seems to be having on here I almost think it is worth not having the extra channels as opposed to having to deal with problem installs, to shows not recording right to pixalation here and no sound there. If I bought the 5 LNB dish and got one of the MPEG-4 decoders and plugged it into the back of the HR10 would that not clear up A LOT of the issues?

Also, what the heck is CE? I cant find any threads related to it. NR, whats that?

2. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    First, the HR20 is fine. I have two of them and haven't missed a recording ever. All DVRs will miss something eventually as mostly the issues with missing recordings are related to bad or incomplete guide data.

I think my older HR20 had to be rebooted about three times in the 7 months I have had it. My Tivo had to be rebooted more in the same time frame.

Pixelation is related to the DirecTV signal, not the HR20. In fact, my picture quality is better on the HR20 than on my HR10.

Second, there is no such thing as an MPEG4 decoder that will make an HR10 work. If there were, DirecTV would be supplying them or selling them.

As for CE, it stands for Cutting Edge. Many of us here have been doing testing of software for DirecTV on the HR20 (and other) boxes. There is risk involved in downloading pre-released code but participating allows some influence over the direction of the HR20 and other boxes. And, it has been a program that has caught bugs very quickly and, as a result, the HR20 has made great progress.

The Cutting Edge program is open to anyone who wants to participate. Information is in the Cutting Edge forum on this webpage. Traditionally, the test code is called a CE as it is made available.

NR means National Release. That is the production release sent to all.

There are still those having issues but you will find that with any DVR technology. By and large, the vast majority are happy with the HR20 as it exists today.

3. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    :welcome_s

I'm a former TiVo Army person that has totally replaced all of my HR10-250s for HR20s. There really aren't any problems that I've had with any of them. My oldest (last October IIRC) is still kicking and the other three are doing just fine as well. I've had zero audio drops (optical and HDMI).

I don't think you're gonna get the MPEG-4 decoder to work with your HR10. Your best bet is to go with the HR20. It is missing some of the features that TiVo folks love (DLB, wishlists, for example) but it also has features the HR10-250 doesn't have (VOD (soon), and Media Share).

Also, Milominderbinder2 has an awesome survival guide here: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=69404

4. qlanus

qlanus Legend

Sep 22, 2006
    Wow - where to begin.....?

First the easy one - CE is short for 'Cutting Edge'. It essentially is a pre-release code download made available to willing volunteers to help identify & correct any issues before they reach the general population. More info can be found here:
    http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118.

As to the current state of the HR20, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how stable and reliable it really is. Sure, you'll see posts here describing a problem or two, or complaining about a missing feature or two - but isn't that expected in a forum of this nature?

I have no official stats to back up my opinion, however I'd bet $$ that 9 out of 10 HR20 users are satisfied with the current operation. Again, a glitch or two here and there does arise, but the system is vastly superior to what it was upon initial release.

And D* is aggressively working (through the CE program) to improve matters further - adding new features, tweaking UI, squashing remaining bugs, etc. Their attention to these remaining issues is encouraging and promises to make the HR20 an even better platform.

Just my two cents.

5. chris0

chris0 Godfather

Jun 25, 2007
    I felt like you did a while back. About 3 months ago I got an HR20-700 and moved my HR10-250 into the bedroom. It is different, so it took some getting used to, but I haven't had any problems with it since I got it. While my HR10 was a workhorse, it wasn't perfect, either. Once in a while a recorded show would be severely pixelated for the entire show, almost like the tuner couldn't quit "lock on" and decompress the signal properly.

There are still things I miss about the HR10 but there are more things the HR20 has that I like better. Speed being one of them. Almost everything you do in it only takes a few seconds. When I use my HR10 and see "this may take a few minutes" it really frustrates me now. I'll soon be getting rid of my HR10 altogether and getting another HR20.

oh, and CE is "Cutting Edge." It's basically a group of people here who download and test beta versions of the software. Once the bugs are worked out, thanks to them, it gets released to the rest of us as a software upgrade.

NR=Noise Reduction, probably. EDIT: or National Release;)

6. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    National Release.

7. vegasflyby

vegasflyby AllStar

Aug 7, 2007
    I say go ahead and get it. I own my hr10-250 and I kept it just in case I didn't like the hr20. I thought if I didn't like it I could throw it in the closet and hook the hr10 back up. So far I don't miss the hr10 at all. The hr20 has worked flawlessly so far. No regrets here.

8. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Don't folks read previous posts before they post?

;)

9. kikkenit2

kikkenit2 Icon

Oct 25, 2006
    I get very reliable audio and video in HD with the HR20. My install of a free slimline dish and eventually 5 HR20's(discounted) has gone off without a hitch. It is not a perfect receiver/dvr but I recommend upgrading now. If you prefer to watch 2 channels live at the same time (dlb) you may not like it much. And some glitches do exist in first run/repeat, smart searches(titles, artist etc.) and autoselection of future shows. Checking to do lists and using some record once works around this. I prefer the gui and the HD content compared to the HR10 and don't know anything about decoder addons.

10. chris0

chris0 Godfather

Jun 25, 2007
    when I came to post there was only the OP, but I was typing while watching Survivorman, I took too long and the others beat me to it.

11. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    Ditto. Well, to be honest, if UltimateTV had offered a Lifetime option when I decided I wanted a DIRECTV-integrated DVR in the Spring of 2001, I could have been persuaded to go with that instead of TiVo since that had dual tuners at the time and PIP. Anyway, I've been using TiVos of some flavor since the Fall of 2000, but I now find it not to be a necessity after auditioning other DVR platforms.

TiVo has issues, but for some reason people, like to brand it as "flawless" and it's not. I now find it to be just a bit overrated and from the cost of subscription on a standalone overpriced.

12. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    12 minutes to type?

Just jesting.

I often pull up multiple threads then read them and they sit there for some time.

13. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Amen.

Tivo will always be remembered for making DVRs mainstream and pushing the technology but Tivo has had its issues, is still too costly (except when they paired with DirecTV or now with Comcast et al) and has slowed down in improving their DVR functionality.

Everyone has plusses and minusses, so I don't get the Tivo-is-Godlike thought process.

BTW, I used to walk around saying "Tivo changed my life." And it did. Now I have moved on to the next technology. And if Comcrap ever gives me Tivo software on my awful SA8300, I will jump for joy!

14. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Oh-oh, mythbuster alert!

15. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    The HR20 has been ready for prime-time for some time now, and in many ways (speed, picture-in-guide, MPEG-4 HD, networking, soon VOD, ...) is now very superior to the HR10.

As I've said many times recently, I was a TiVo HR10 Fanboy, but have now totally moved on to the next best thing ... the HR20 is very nice ... you'll be fine.

16. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Even Mrs. Shadow agrees that HR20 is completely ready for prime time now. Nothing in life is perfect but you will read over and over that people who used to have problems, don't anymore. Of course there are still a few who have legitimate problems but they are getting fewer and fewer.

17. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Well thanks for all the input. I dont understand alot of the acronyms here but I am learning and I will be just fine when I do upgrade it sounds like. Thanks again.

18. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    This will help with the acronyms.

http://www.dbstalk.com/acronyms.htm

19. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    I was definitely a big tiem Tivo supporter but recently made the move the the HR20 (2 of em). So far I'm pleasantly surprised.

Probably the biggest issue I still have is that I MUCH preferred the Tivo UI. I moved the HR10 to the bedroom but suspect I'll have to get rid of it soon so that I can fully embrace my HR20's without looking back. These puppies are the future and they truely are good units. I'm Looking forward the all the HD splendor they will start to bring me next month.

20. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    Welcome!

The reason for buying a receiver is not the receiver. It is the content.

A year from now, the HR10 may get exactly zero HD channels. The HR20 is on it's way to 70 HD Channels, then 100 by year end. Then 150 in 2008.

To get the best deal, here are thread of people getting $20 deals.

Here are dozens of the $20 upgrade success stories.

Here are hundreds more.

To do the upgrade, call during business hours. Ask for retention. Be polite. Research competitive offers ahead of time. Do not threaten. Although some successfully negotiated on the first call, others took three to four calls to get the right CSR.

Factor in the average $180 price you might still get for your HR10 on eBay. Last week they averaged $200. Last winter the HR10 was still worth $400. SO you might make good money on your upgrade.

Other links:

133 Undocumented Tips & Tricks

TiVo Users Survival Guide

Getting a good install is everything. What you do can make all of the difference. Choose the right time of day, get the work order written the right way, etc.:

HR20 Installation Tips

Here are another 40 topics like these in the HR20 FAQ:

HR20 FAQ

Good Luck!

- Craig

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.