1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20 Wish List Changes 04-May-2007

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Doug Brott, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 4, 2007 #1 of 10
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    HR20 Wish List Changes 04-May-2007 - Complete List of changes - Guidelines for changes

Take the HR20 Wish List Survey - No registration necessary

Moved from the Top-20

• #21 - Receive an alert via Calls & Msgs from DirecTV when the channel lineup changes
    • #22 - Increase the number of items in the prioritizer - the current limit is 50
    • #23 - Show Delete/Don't Delete popup when pressing EXIT in the last few minutes of a recording
    • #25 - Multi-Room Viewing via the Ethernet Port
    • #31 - Ability to schedule a program and change settings remotely over the Internet
    • #35 - Selectable Replay button time. (E.g., "Default, or 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 seconds)
    Moved to the Top-20

• #3 - When creating a SERIES LINK, conflicts with other SERIES LINK programs should be directed to the prioritizer rather than resulting in a one-time fix of programs on the TO DO list
    • #9 - Light amber LED for 1 recording and red LED for 2 recordings - currently on the amber LED is lit in both situations
    • #11 - Uniquely number the HD version of a channel with an SD counterpart
    • #14 - The ability to key in the channel number in addition to selecting from a menu when setting up a manual recording
    • #16 - Variable SLIP - allow user to optionally choose the amount of time to slip forward
    • #19 - Pressing the Format button should bring up a listing menu of formats to choose from rather than cycling through the list.
    Additions to the List

• The ability to change color schemes or themes link
    • The option to display a small channel logo in My Playlist link
    • In SEARCHES, use [<< REW] to backspace, [FFW >>] to add a space, and [STOP] to clear the current search term link
    • An option to change the font size of the GUIDE link
    • Color code the types of programs (movies, news, sports, other) shown in the guide link
    • Add ability to choose multiple recorded shows in the sequence of your choice to be able to view them without interruption link
    • The sat signal strength test should show the satellite/transponder for whatever channel you were last tuned to link
    Removed from the List

• (1.870) Sleep Timer - a way to put the HR20 into standby after a certain number of minutes
    • (1.808) PREV button should bring up menu of last 4-6 channels instead of changing to previous channel
    • (replaced by addition) The ability to backspace with REWIND while spelling something in a Search
    Pending Removal

• (corrected) #1 - The ability to watch recordings when there's no satellite signal

2. May 4, 2007 #2 of 10
    PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    #9 - Light amber LED for 1 recording and red LED for 2 recordings - currently on the amber LED is lit in both situations

What purpose does this serve?

3. May 4, 2007 #3 of 10
    leww37334

leww37334 Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2005

I had thought the recording light turned red to notify of a recording problem.

4. May 4, 2007 #4 of 10
    PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    There have been instances that the record light will turn red reported by several members here, although it seems that its occurrence is completely random and does not indicate any sort of status.

5. May 4, 2007 #5 of 10
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    This would be a quick indicator ... Some folks may elect to NOT turn on the TV if two things are recording.

6. May 4, 2007 #6 of 10
    Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I don't get the need for Variable Slip (#16). Seems I'm in a minority, tho, since it's moved up the list. Is 30 seconds not enough? Or too much? TIA for any explanation. I'd love to know what I'm missing on this one. /s

7. May 4, 2007 #7 of 10
    Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    FWIW, I would be happy if "30-sec slip" was really 30 sec, but it is actually more like 33 seconds. Since you need to "slip" about 6 times through the average commercial break, that is an "extra" 18 seconds. As a result, I always end up watching the last 10 to 15 seconds of the last commercial.

8. May 4, 2007 #8 of 10
    islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    I saw it once, and someone here told me it was the HR20 contacting the mothership via the phone line. Anyway, as to why you might want it, if you turn on the stereo, for example, and press 8xx for your favorite XM station, you won't know what the problem is (that both tuners are in use). Not a priority item, like CIR, but I can see its uses.

9. May 4, 2007 #9 of 10
    islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    It already is a variable slip. Sometimes its 30 sec, sometimes 33, sometimes only a couple of seconds. It all depends on the mood of the HR20 when you hit the button. It is generally more reliable than the "6" second replay, which can be anywhere from -10 seconds to +5 (ie 5 second jump forward rather than back)seconds, depending on mood.

10. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I agree. It depends mostly on whether you're slipping MPEG-2 or MPEG-4, IMO. Using the MPEG-2 HDNET test pattern (Sunday morning's at 6:50 AM EDT), the slip and replay are pretty consistent at 30 and 6 seconds. On MPEG-4 material, it's a crapshoot. It looks like either the HR20 h/w or decompression algorithms are unable to recreate MPEG-4 frames quickly enough to provide the illusion of smoothness at anything more than 2x FF speeds.

That being said, is the wish list item intended to allow the user to define the slip time? If so, I still don't understand why. Since we need to use it so much, it seems to me the user defined Replay time is much more important. It would allow those who are VERY coordinated to keep 6 seconds, but those of us who need to hit it 4-6 times the ability to make it longer, and cut down on clicks. I'm amazed a variable forward slip ranks higher on the list. /s

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.