1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20 won't stay connected to network

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ProfLonghair, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 6, 2007 #1 of 18
    ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    CMH
    This has never worked, regardless of the HR20 software version. One day, I'm connected, media share works great. Next day, no media share. It's still running on my PC, I can still get VOD, but no media share. Only a reset brings it back. This has happaned using WMP and TVersity.

Any suggestions?

2. Dec 6, 2007 #2 of 18
    lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    I had this problem when I had a wireless connection. I hard wired and the problem went away.

3. Dec 7, 2007 #3 of 18
    ProfLonghair

Sep 26, 2006
    CMH
    My PC is Wireless, but the HR20 is not. If that's the case, some works by Directv still needs to be done there.

4. Dec 7, 2007 #4 of 18
    apexmi

apexmi Godfather

Jul 8, 2006
    Mine stays connected unless the pc is turned off or rebooted, Then the HR20 has to be rebooted too to find it it again

5. Dec 7, 2007 #5 of 18
    MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    All three of mine work fine. 1 is hard wired and 2 have gaming adapters on them. I use wmp11, now check your firewall settings and make sure it is allowed. I had that problem with CA antivirus, I switched to NOD32 and it went away. I had to go in to the firewall settings of CA and allow the recievers,then the recievers stayed connected.

6. Dec 7, 2007 #6 of 18
    ProfLonghair

Sep 26, 2006
    CMH
    Tried turning off the firewall entirely, and still, overnight, it disconnects and won't reconnect without reseting the receiver. The PC doesn't shut down, hibernate, or anything else.

I guess, the real issue here is, the HR20 stays connected to the network, but it doesn't retry to connect to the media share stuff. That would be a nice thing to add to the wishlist......

7. Dec 7, 2007 #7 of 18
    MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    But they do stay connected though. That's what i'm saying all of mine. When i bring my PC back up (usually I shut down) it comes right up for me. How are you connected. Hardwird or wireless, and what os are you running? I run vista now but had a setup for XP. If wireless what adapter are you using?

8. Dec 7, 2007 #8 of 18
    Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Try this...
    Click on my network places, on the left side top menu portion click on "Show icons for networked UPnP devices", this may help.

Also check out the title "Media Server Logoff Message" in the link that is in my signature for network help.

9. Dec 7, 2007 #9 of 18
    gcisko

gcisko I am Iron Man!

Sep 27, 2006
    Have you tried restarting the media share service? I only turn on my media share service when I plan to use it, which is not often. How often do you use the media sharing option of the HR20?

10. ProfLonghair

Sep 26, 2006
    CMH
    You do have a very prmoising link I checked out rpeviously, but it's a broken link:

"HR20 Does not see TVersity Media Server or it stops detecting it after a while "

11. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Icon

Aug 14, 2006
    ProfLonghair,
    Try looking at the WMP11 sharing service... it's called "Microsoft Media Sharing Service" or something similar. Go into the properties. On one of the tabs, the user account used to start the service is the "NETWORK SERVICE" logon. Change that to "Local System Account" buy checking the radio button next to that option. Save settings, stop and restart the service.

Wait a few minutes and see if the "Music and Photos" menu option appears on your HR20.

Good luck,
    Bob

12. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    I have the same issue - it works then disconnects and I can't get it back without restarting the HR20. Not worth it to me. Maybe if a big crowd is at the house and I want to bore them with grandchildren pictures.

13. ProfLonghair

Sep 26, 2006
    CMH
    This was the most important part I saw:

14. Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006
    Not sure why the link is not working, but if you go to the Q&A main page and look at the top of the page, there is a sub forum called "HR20/21 Information Resources " click on that then go to the sticky thread called "Step-by-Step Router/Bridge/HR20 Network Configuration Doc ".

15. dsexton

dsexton Mentor

May 2, 2007
    Are you guys saying you can shut down your computer, bring it back, and the music and pictures reappear in the menu? Every time I shut down my networked PC the connection to the HR20-700 is lost and I have to reboot it to get music and pics back. I haven't been using it hardly at all because I figured that was the way it was "supposed" to work and it wasn't worth it to keep resetting the HR20. My connection is hard wired from a WRT54G and I use an old Netgear router as a switch at the TV since I have both Slingbox and the HR20 connected.

16. Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006
    I only start the media server up when I am going to use it. I use the Nero 7 software. You can shut the share off/on with WMP11 as well and only turn the share on when you need it.

This may help in some cases.

17. gcisko

gcisko I am Iron Man!

Sep 27, 2006
    Everytime you shut down your PC your HR20 networking goes away as well? Or the connection to the Media server is lost (which makes sense)? And what do you have to reboot to get it back? The HR20? If I activate my Media server on my PC the HR20 will see it without needing to be reset. I just needed to reset the HR20 after I initially installed networking.

When I am telling people to restart the media server, I do not mean reboot the PC. I mean go to the WINDOWS SERVICES icon in the control panel and stop and restart the media sharing service. I guess stopping and restarting the media sharing application will also work.

18. gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet Tips & Resources Collaboration

Mar 7, 2007
    ok, i have a question about the CA Antivirus? i assume you ment CA firewall? and you got this with Time Warner?
    if so, how did you edit the settings? i'm running Vista premium Edition, and had to uninstall the CA firewall and disable windows firewall.
    if you know how to get CA firewall to work could you please give me step-by-step instructions on what setting's you added to get it to work?
    thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.