HR20's 1TB drive is full, how many hours will it take to copy it to another drive?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by bluemoose, Jan 12, 2008.

1. bluemoose

bluemoose Legend

Dec 7, 2007
    One of my HR20s' 1TB hard drive(installed inside the HR20) is full. It started
    to make this weird grinding sound, which probably means the hard drive is
    going bad.

I plan to get another 1TB drive and copy everything before I send the bad
    drive in for replacement.

How many hours will it take to copy a full 1TB drive to an empty 1TB drive?
    (using a PC) I realize it's not possible to get an exact figure... I just like a
    ballpark figure on the number of hours...

Thanks!

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Depends on the pc, the software being used to do the copy, the drives themselves.

It took me almost 24 hours to copy a 160gig drive using unix dd.

Carl

3. oenophile

oenophile Godfather

Dec 1, 2006
    Northern...
    It should not take this long unless something's seriously wrong. More like 20 minutes [edit: if it has to be bit-by-bit copying it will take much longer, I dunno--maybe 12 hours?].
    Curious: Has anyone actually successfully tried copying an HR drive, either an internal or eSata drive and seeing if it still works with the HR? I would think there's a pretty good chance DRM would prevent this from working?

4. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    As long as you were putting the new disk in the same box, it should be fine. But copying a large disk with dd is going to take many, many hours.

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I'm guessing the only way to copy would be low level bit-for-bit copy tools. The DVR file format is not readable under Windows.

6. quietmouse

quietmouse Guest

just bought a 1.5TB hard drive.

can anyone give me an idea how many hours it will take to copy a 80% full 1TB hard drive to my new 1.5TB hard drive? (best and worst case scenario)

7. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    According to Carl6's experience in post #2, it might take up to 4 days (SATA should be faster than IDE). The easiest way to do DD is probably to burn a CD with a live copy of Linux, such as Ubuntu and run it in a terminal (or use ctrl-alt-F1 to access a console).

Not having actually done it, I'm not sure if DD will allow you to use the whole 1.5 TB; you might end up with a 1 TB copy and a bunch of unallocated free space.

8. NCMAT

NCMAT Godfather

Feb 12, 2007
    I used this method to copy a 1TB to a 1.5T and it took about 6 hours. I have upgraded all four of my HR2Xs with external drives to 1.5T external drives using this method and have had no problems.

9. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    For a reference, it typically takes overnight and perhaps into the next day to format a 1.5TB drive under windows. Heck, my 4TB Software RAID5 array under Windows Server 2008 is only 50 % done and it's been working since Friday.

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I know, I know, I'm a party pooper...

I'm compelled to remind people that if you do not own your DVR, you are violating your customer agreement by opening it or modifying it. You will also be liable for the full purchase price of the DVR when it is returned and found to have been tampered with.

11. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Yes, my experience was IDE, and it was on an older computer. No question that sata on a current PC shouldn't go faster. But don't confuse "faster" with "fast".

12. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Peachtree...
    Why don't you just delete content that you will probably never go back to watch. I have alot of stuff that I thought I would go back to watch such as the Super Bowl but the truth is I never have the time or inclination to do it so I periodically delete stuff that is older than 6 months.

13. quietmouse

quietmouse Guest

my cat always sleep on top of one of the HR21 HD DVRs.... nice and warm place...

I just hope that I never have to return this HR21 to DirecTV... they might open
    it up and see the inside covered with cat fur.... :(

14. l8er

l8er Icon

Jun 18, 2004
    But if you use that method with the drives hooked to motherboard SATA connectors, the process to copy 1 TB to 1 TB takes, at most, a couple of hours. (1 TB to 1.5 TB shouldn't take much longer.)

15. excalibur26

excalibur26 Mentor

Sep 12, 2007
    Always wonder what some folks do with all those recordings, and on multiple DVR's no less. I guess they buy ever bigger HD's. :rolleyes: But really, just watch or dump. It is cheaper, and saner. ;)

To each his own.

16. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Peachtree...
    Once I get past the second page I normally get out and don't look any further at the recordings past that second page unless I am really bored and have alot of time on my hands and it's raining outside!!!

17. DonCorleone

DonCorleone Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    Stuart's right about not being a good idea to tamper with the DVR's internal drive, however, the problem with the eSATA drive is that you can't copy the content anywhere from what I remember and it won't work in another HRxx...which, by the way, is a real bummer!

18. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Peachtree...
    I wish I had a Dollar Bill for every person in this Forum that has Replaced their Internal Drive!!! I could go out and buy a real nice 1 TB Drive to Replace my Internal Drive on my HR21-700!!! LOL!!!

The reason Directv says don't tamper with the DVR is their Disclaimer in case you get shocked or incur injury. Of course they don't want you screwing up the internals if you don't know what you are doing or getting hurt for which they would be liable if they didn't issue a disclaimer or warning but I seriously don't think they really care about us upgrading a hard drive when they allow us to have eSATA external drives which they officially don't support (Wink, Wink)!!!

19. quietmouse

quietmouse Guest

well.... the HR21s that I got from DirecTV were clearly refurbished.... the installer
    who brought it to my house told me that it was a refurbished unit, because that's
    what DTV gave them. Even the box said DirecTV "refurbished".... which is fine
    by me, because there was not warranty sticker and the case screws were all
    different colors(showing that it had already been opened previously)

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    So far I found faster way to copy whole disk is "Ghost -ir" loaded from Ghost CD (DOS) on a PC with embedded SATA controllers; faster CPU will give best result, 512 MB (!) should be enough for the cloning.