HR21-100 0x1FE - Issues / Discussion

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - HR21 Discussion (private)' started by TomF, Feb 9, 2008.

Did you download?

1. Forced: Window #1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Forced: Window #2

100.0%
  3. Automatic / Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Did not download

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 9, 2008 #1 of 50
    TomF

TomF Icon

Sep 20, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Separate thread for 0x1FE issues and discussions.

2. Feb 9, 2008 #2 of 50
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    My unit dl'd, but then after going through steps 1 and 2, it went into reboot and never came back. Lights on the front just kept spinning. I did a rbr, and all seems fine at the moment... It is running the ce...

3. Feb 9, 2008 #3 of 50
    MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Had the same problem last night. The unit kept rebooting and rebooting. After three times I just let it go and went to bed. THis morning it was working fine, albeit the menus were much slower than before.

Going to probably do an RBR later just to see if that makes any difference.

4. Feb 9, 2008 #4 of 50
    waynebtx

waynebtx Hall Of Fame

Dec 24, 2006
    Kingsville,T...
    Agree the menus are still slow. Guide page down takes ago 2 to 3 sec to change. Still have black screen changing channels. On the good side can watch a DOD while its downloading now.

5. Feb 9, 2008 #5 of 50
    K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    The first time guide was selected here, yes, about a 4 sec delay in the first scroll. After that, CH /\ and \/ seems to make the Guide scroll in timely fashion, even after clearing and re-entering Guide.

6. Feb 9, 2008 #6 of 50
    cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    Repost of same issue experienced in 0x18A, 0x195, and 0x1F8:

The core of this issue is that the HR21-100's Dolby Digital output "hangs" when paused. On all my other devices (Blu-Ray player, DVD player, and an HR20-700), when paused the DD indicator light on my reciever goes out. This doesn't happen with the HR21-100. The DD output does not cut off when paused. This causes the audio to be out of sync on my receiver when resumed. While other receivers seem to deal with this better, the HR21-100 is my only device that exhibits this behavior. Once the HR21-100 is in general release, I can't imagine I will be the only one experiencing this issue.

Anyway, here's the repost.

=======================

I experience significant (~1/2 second) lip sync issues with any channel broadcasting Dolby Digital when DD is turned on in the HR21-100 (audio behind video). Connected via TOSLINK optical. If I turn DD off (and am therefore sending PCM), I have no sync issues. If the program is broadcasting PCM instead of DD (with DD still turned on), I have no issues.

Best guess as to what is happening:

When I tune to a channel broadcasting DD, it is initially in sync. The first time I press pause, the DD indicator light on my receiver turns off. When I resume, the light comes back on, and the audio is in sync. The second (and third, and fourth, etc..) time I press the pause button, the DD indicator light on my receiver stays on, and when I resume, the audio will be out of sync.

This is different behavior than my HR20-700 where the indicator light goes out every time pause is pressed.

This happens identically in the live buffer or when watching a recording. When in the buffer, changing the channel, and changing back will sync the audio up until the second pause/resume. When watching a recording, EXIT>Resume will sync it back up.

Using the jumpback button exhibits the same behavior as pause/resume. The first jumpback on a "fresh" channel results in the DD indicator light going out and the audio coming back in sync. The second and any subsequent jumpbacks result in the indicator light staying on, and the audio coming back out of sync.

This issue is 100% repeatable for me on any channel broadcasting Dolby Digital with DD turned on.

Also, it takes much longer (2-3 seconds) for the audio to return upon resume than it does on my HR20 (which takes <1 second every time).

HR21-100 setup here.

7. Feb 9, 2008 #7 of 50
    Pinion413

Pinion413 Icon

Oct 20, 2007
    I'll also agree that channel changing and the guide appear to be quite slow, though seem a little quicker than the last CE. I'm seeing progress.... :righton:

And, thankfully, the 2:00pm random weirdness we were experiencing here as noted with 0x1F8's issues has stopped. Well, at least for today. :D

8. Feb 9, 2008 #8 of 50
    MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Just to add, looks like my HR21-100 has 'stabilized' in that guide performance, lip sync etc. are working OK... Haven't had a chance to watch a lot of DD broadcasting yet, so time will tell on the lip sync issues.

9. waynebtx

waynebtx Hall Of Fame

Dec 24, 2006
    Kingsville,T...
    Was going to save my 1k post for the TX-Sr805 but.. The recording light on the HR21-100 keeps coming on nothing is set to record untill 6pm tonight. Did menu reset light went off five min latter it went back on then five min after that went back off its still off right now.

10. lucky13

lucky13 Active Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Maryland,...
    Missed the CE Friday night.

I was watching some recordings with my wife, and switching among the DVRs as the other CEs were loading. I didn't think to check back here after reading that there wouldn't be a CE for the -100 that night.

Was busy with personal errands over the weekend and didn't get to play with the toys much. Saw the Grammys, but didn't log on. (Note to CBS: for those of my age, a caption identiftying the people in the audience shots would be helpful. :lol: )

Had to go out of town for a friend's funeral yesterday, so I'm just catching up.

Is this still in the stream, or do I have to just wait for the next one?

11. lucky13

lucky13 Active Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Maryland,...
    Also (see previous post), I will away the next two weekends, so it wuld be helpful if I can force the new software.

I guess I've got to read the CE Slinger post, although the -100 isn't slung yet.

12. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Woefully slow.

Slow to change channels, slow to respond to transport keys, slow to page through guide/playlist/to-do list...

It seems the "slowness" is due to slow response to the remote. I put new batteries in it just to make sure. I then used the Directv remote and same thing.

Every button press takes at least a second sometimes more.

Mike

Edit: Everything is slow...e.g. got to the end of a recording. The video stopped as expected but it took nearly 5 seconds for the keep/delete option to come up.

13. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    Loss of Single Live Buffer...Again

TNTHD ch245 was on live tuner.
    ≈8:50am Started Die Hard from the Playlist, originally recorded from AMC ch254 SD.
    11:00am Background tuner starts recording Cool Tools, DIY ch230.
    11:11am(progress bar time) I finished watching Die Hard, chose to delete from the popup menu at the end and returned to Playlist.
    I hit Exit button to return to live TV to find the current channel is still ch245 TNTHD but the buffer is gone and the the progress bar indicates that the buffer starts at 11:11am.

Mike

Edit: Die Hard wasn't deleted. When the movie ended and the option to delete came up and I chose to delete it hung on that screen for at least 30sec. In the end it was never deleted.

14. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    I attempted to do a menu restart to see if that would fix the slow response.

I got to the point of entering Dash. It showed the dash in the yellow box but didn't restart.

After about a minute, it froze up. The video/audio of the PIG just stopped.

I waited additional minute and then did a RBR.

After sat data reached 100% screen went black and then it restarted again instead of going to live TV.

The second time it went to live TV.

Response to the remote is much improved.

Mike

15. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    Loss of Live Buffer

Local Fox ch61 was on live tuner.

≈9:40pm Started Dirty Jobs (VOD) from the Playlist.

10:00pm Background tuner starts recording Torchwood, HDNET ch79.

10:10pm I paused Dirty Jobs. It remained paused while we had a discussion with our daughter.

10:42 I hit Exit button to return to live TV. Well you know where this is going...yup still on ch60 but the buffer is gone.

It as if the software thinks exiting the recording is a channel change and it flushes the buffer. Does it think the background tuner, which is recording, is the "live tuner"?

Mike

EDIT: I'm unable to replicate on my HR20-700. Although the same version number I realize that the hardware is different. The loss of Live Buffer seems to be unique to the HR21.

The question is can anybody replicate this on an HR21 other than the -100

16. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Try using the front panel buttons -- that will tell you whether it is a remote control issue. I would guess it isn't.

I see periodic slowdowns in response to commands, but then it will pick back up again. I think that there are background processes that occasionally hog too much of the CPU.

17. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    I did a restart and it fixed the response problem.

Mike

18. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    Last week I created a Series Link for Torchwood on HDNET. I went to the guide date/time to Monday 11FEB08 at 7pm. I hit info on Torchwood, and selected the "Rec. Series" option and created the SL.

Last night at ≈7:35pm, I noticed that the HR21 wasn't recording. I checked and sure enough, Torchwood wasn't recording.

I checked the To-Do list and it wasn't there.

I checked the Prioritizer to find that Torchwood was there but indicated that no episodes were scheduled.

I went to the guide and selected the 10pm airing of Torchwood and attempted to hit Record twice to create another SL. Of course it wouldn't let me because I already had one.

I deleted the original SL and created one by double hitting Record on the 10pm airing of Torchwood.

It recorded and I watched it today.

However, the To-Do list has no episodes listed and the Prioritizer shows "None Scheduled".

At first thought it was a guide data problem. However, the Torchwood SL on my HR20-700 works fine. The To-Do list has the 18FEB08, 7pm episode of Torchwood set to record.

Mike

19. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Turned on the receiver and only the top part of the circle of the lights are on. Did a menu reset and all is working fine the full circle lights up

20. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Channel banner is very slow to refresh and will sometimes show old information...

-Was on HD local Channel 3 for a couple hours last night.
    -During the Late Show with David Letterman, I started to tune to Channel 5.
    -When the info banner first came up after my first key press, it showed the correct information for the channel I was currently on
    -During the channel change (and resolution change) process, the info bar flashed, and then displayed the info from the time slot before Letterman (the 10:00 local news)
    -It still showed this info for a half second after tuning to Channel 5
    -The info for Channel 5 was only visible for milliseconds before the channel banner disappeared due to it's 4 second display time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.