1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR21-100 Audio Dropouts

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mrichman, Nov 19, 2012.

1. mrichman

mrichman New Member

Sep 30, 2007
    I have an HR21-100 (black box) connected via HDMI to my Marantz SR7001 receiver. As of yesterday, every channel, including recorded programs, drops audio every few seconds. I can see on my Marantz that the PCM indicator comes on and off when this happens. HDMI sync issue?

I did manage to watch a whole 30 minute recorded episode of Clone Wars in full 5.1 Dolby Digital without issues, but I think it was a fluke.

I have native mode off, and dolby digital off. I've tried every combination of resolutions, and this is driving me (and more importantly, my wife) bonkers.

Why would this suddenly start happening?

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Check to make sure the HDMI cable is not damaged or has become unseated.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you are sending the sound to an AV receiver you should have Dolby Digital turned ON.
    If you have a Digital Coax or Optical cable connection on the AV you could run that for sound.
    My son has a Yamaha AV and he runs an HDMI to the Yamaha but he runs the Optical cable to it for his sound.

4. mrichman

mrichman New Member

Sep 30, 2007
    Last night I switched to component video and optical audio. No more problems. Dolby digital audio without a single dropout. Should I keep wrestling with the HDMI? Bad cable? Blown component in my receiver? I feel like HDMI is the single worst invention of the 21st century, but it tasks me, and I shall have it ;)

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I agree with the HDMI being bad.
    I have had my HR23 hooked up with Component cables and Optical to my Yamaha ever since the new HD GUI came out. No problems since I do not do the PPV movies. Even if you did the PPV if you choose the 1080i movie you will not have a problem.

6. mrichman

mrichman New Member

Sep 30, 2007
    You mean the HDMI on my Marantz AV receiver is bad, or the HDMI out on my DVR is bad?

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    From your post:
    I feel like HDMI is the single worst invention of the 21st century

I was agreeing with you.

I would change the cable to see if that is the problem, especially if you have anothee rsystem with a cable on it so that you do not have to buy one.
    If not and you have one run to the TV from the AV try switching them around and see if that fixes it since it is a sound problem that you are having.

8. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Well, I seem to be having more audio dropouts lately, affecting both of my HR-24's. I don't think both HDMI cables are bad. It could be a different hardware issue, or it could be an issue with the signal. Haven't had time to trouble-shoot.

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I think they have increased also and I am running Component cables and an Optical cable for the audio.
    Mine happens more on CBSHD and ESPNHD and ESPN2HD, sometimes, but not very often on other channels.

10. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Keep in mind a HDMI receptacle has 19 pins. As long as one uses quality 1.4 HDMI cable and gently inserts the cable into the receptacle one shouldn't experience issues.