1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR21-100 constantly resetting

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by wideglide36, Dec 21, 2008.

Tags:
  1. wideglide36

wideglide36 Legend

Jan 14, 2004
    Hey guys,

I have an HR21-100 that I received in August and it has been constantly resetting almost everyday.
    At first it worked ok then it gradually reset. Sometimes it would only reset every couple of days and then it got to where it reset everyday.

I called the protection plan number and they had me reset it again and check for loose connections. They then told me that it would be elevated to a higher tech support and they would fix the problem on their end and I didn't need to do anything further.

For a few weeks it seemed to not reset and then it started resetting again once in awhile. Then it got to be everyday and sometimes twice a day.

I called the protection plan again and they had me reformat the receiver and said that if it continued to happen to call again and they would probably replace the receiver.

I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this kind of problem with this model receiver. I did do a search but probably missed it.

Thanks

2. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    The box may be resetting itself to obtain current or updated Guide data, or it may be responding to small power fluctuations in your home electrical system. Please post your signal strength for all satellite and some details of your setup (whether or not you have other receivers, any multiswitch in the signal path, etc.) Do you have any way to measure your home electrical voltage levels?

3. notnufbw

notnufbw Legend

Dec 10, 2006
    I got my HR21-100 in June '08 and all was fine until October or so. It seems to reboot every week or two now and it's become annoying. Have no clue why but I may call for a replacement soon. I don't know if this is significant but it only reboots when I turn it on to watch TV, never reboots or has any problem when I'm watching TV.

VR

4. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    No problems with my HR21-100 that I've had since June this year. I do run all the latest CE's on it which might make a difference.

5. notnufbw

notnufbw Legend

Dec 10, 2006

I'm not the OP but maybe you can give me a clue why my HR-21 reboots almost weekly. Have two H20's and an HR20 and they don't reboot for unknown reasons. All the receivers are connected through a SWM8 switch. The problem receiver, the HR21-100, is connected to a Monster power supply which shows the voltage always at 110 or 120 volts. The signal strength is mid 90's or higher. All receivers operate trouble free and are all connected to 20 year old R59 house cable.

6. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I suspect that you have a bad power supply unit in your DVR. Sometimes these power supply units will begin to fail or drop their voltage output and when it drops just enough it will trigger a reboot automatically by the DVR to correct the problem.

On the HR10-250 a guy figured out how to adjust the power supply so he could tune it back to it's original window or voltage range. There also is a company that fixes this problem but I would probably let Directv replace it with a more current DVR.

See my latest post in the eSATA Capcity Questions Thread or do a Search on my posts by clicking on my username to the left.

7. wideglide36

wideglide36 Legend

Jan 14, 2004
    The signal strengths have always been fine every time I have checked them.

I have three other receivers all Tivo Hughes series 2. All are connected through a Zinwell WB68 multiswitch.

I tend to think it is a problem with voltage fluctuations as it can happen at anytime. It has reset while changing channels or simply while watching a program and not touching anything.

Thanks everybody. I'll probably call again if it starts resetting again.

8. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Check the internal temperature, too. It may be overheating.

9. Beckzilla

Beckzilla Legend

Oct 28, 2007
    I keep hearing you guys talk about using CE's. What is this and how do I get it?

10. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Look for the Curring Edge section in the DirecTV forum here.

Basically DirecTV offers early release software for download, usually on Friday and Saturday nights, for a few different receivers. This allows actual customers to use the software and provide user feedback to the engineers so they can try to prevent problems from rolling out to the general population. There are also some release that offer new features that we get to play with and provide feeedback on before their released on how they work and how we'd like it to work. But please don't do CE's just for a chance to try a new feature before the general public, you should do all of them and test all the releases out if you decide to participate.

11. lyradd

lyradd Legend

Mar 20, 2006
    I'm having the same issue with an HR22-100. I'm now on my second HR22-100 and it does the same thing. There is some discussion on another board that it may be an HDMI issue. What TV are you using? I have a Sony 60" rear projection that is a few years old. A poster on another board was sent an HR23-700 and the problem went away. I may request the same from D* upper level.

12. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Please, keep all talk of the Cutting Edge in the CE forums.

13. wideglide36

wideglide36 Legend

Jan 14, 2004
    I have a Samsung LN52A650 LCD.
    I am also using HDMI from my HR21-100 to the TV.

Can you actually request the HR23-700 or do you just get whatever they have on the truck? That is what I always read on these boards.

Thanks

14. lyradd

lyradd Legend

Mar 20, 2006
  15. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    If when you turn on other appliances such as a tv, amp etc. there may be a voltage decrease which may trigger a reboot. That is why I am on an APC S15 or J15 battery backup/line conditioner/Automatic Voltage Regulator, etc. to reduce or eliminate the possibility of having a slight surge or decrease in voltage that might trigger a reboot.

The DVR thinks it is having problems because of the decrease in voltage which can affect the hard drive's performance so to clear things up it reboots.

A hard drive going bad can cause the rebooting also but in your case I would think that it is a momentary shortage of voltage to the power supply unit which is triggering a reboot.

I would run an extension cord from another outlet to see it that helps but I would think that you might need a voltage regulator/battery backup to ensure stable voltage. It also protects or aids in the health of your electronic equipment not to be having constant surges and spikes in your voltage.

16. macmikey

macmikey Homer Worshipper

Sep 24, 2007
    One thing to keep in mind.... many homes are wired with almost all receptacles in one room on the same circuit. This means no matter where you plug your TV in, in one room, you may still be on the same circuit.

Best way is to get a heavy extension cord, 12 gauge, and then run it into another room altogether. This will most likely insure that you are in fact not using the same circuit and your test may be more valid.

Mike

17. wideglide36

wideglide36 Legend

Jan 14, 2004
    Thanks for the link.

My problem never happens when I turn the TV on though.
    Usually it resets while watching a program or changing channels.
    Sometimes just hitting a button on the remote would trigger a reset.
    I think when I call D I will ask for the HR23-700 like the poster in the link you provided.
    By the way, it is starting to reset again. I will probably wait until after the holidays and then call D.
    Thanks