1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR21-200 issues - upgraded HD - help plz

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bem1, Aug 9, 2013.

1. bem1

bem1 New Member

Aug 9, 2013
    [SIZE=medium]Hello Experts,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]New member here to the forums. Hoping someone can help me out. Here is my issue:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]*Directv HR21-200 started having issues related to the HD – error 14 I think[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]*Called Directv who sent a replacement[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]*Decided to reuse this HR21-200 and upgrade the HD since my upstairs DVR had a faulty HDMI port[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]*Put in a ~1 year old Seagate Barracuda 2TB drive[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]*Everything was working fine for ~2 weeks[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]*I started having the same issues as before – pixilation, choppy/slow video[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]*Took the drive out and ran Seagate Seatools on it – said it had an issue – got it replaced under warranty[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]*Decided to use the replacement Seagate 2TB in my PC instead of the DVR[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]*Ordered a replacement Western Digital WD AV-GP 1 TB AV Video Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD10EURX - brand new from amazon[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]*Installed it today and everything was working great[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]*After ~1 hour, it started having the same pixilation, choppy/slow video issues[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]*I reset it multiple times, and received the following message on a couple resets:[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]=====================================================[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]A problem has been detected in the storage device.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]This may be a simple initialization error or a critical fault.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]Please reboot the box now. That may fix the problem.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]If that does not work, please call Customer service……[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]Diagnostics Code: 14-155[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]=====================================================[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]Called Directv who is sending me a replacement HR21-200. My assumptions are that the original HR21 has something else wrong with it besides the hard drive. Considering I just installed a brand new WD drive in it. Does anyone know if this is the case? I guess I won’t know for sure until I receive the replacement HR21-200. Also, should I put the WD AV-GP 1TB drive in the replacement unit? Anyone know if these drives are supported in this DVR model?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]Any help is greatly appreciated![/SIZE]

2. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Due to the age of the HR21 line, I would upgrade it to a Genie or at a minimum HR24.
    With a Genie or HR24, you will get a better product with a faster UI.
    Depending on your status with Directv you may qualify for a free upgrade.
    But the downside is a new commitment.

But if you get another HR21, I'd go for the newer products. But that's me.

3. bem1

bem1 New Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Thank you NR4P! I actually called Directv and spoke with someone in their Loyalty department. I scored 2 Brand New HD Tivo units for FREE! Can't bet that deal. Also going to send the WD10EURX back to Amazon.

Thanks again!!!!!!