HR21-200 Lost Internet Connection ....

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - HR21 Discussion (private)' started by litzdog911, Nov 30, 2007.

1. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Not sure when this happened because I know it worked a few CE's ago.

My HR21-200 is connected to my home network using a Buffalo Air Station WLI-TX4-G54HP. When I originally set this up a few weeks ago it successfully passed the network test for both Internet and home network connectivitiy. And this was with the HR21's default network settings.

Last night after having to reset my HR21 I decided to check my network connectivity and discovered that my IP address was incorrect (loopback IP). I verified that it wasn't a Buffalo Air Station problem because my laptop connected successfully to both my home network and the internet via the Air Station.

After I bit of research here I set my HR21 to use static IP, specifically:

IP Address: 192.168.1.155
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    DNS: 192.168.1.1

The HR21 successfully connects to my home network, but still will not pass the Internet connection. I've tried resetting both the Air Station and HR21 a couple of times with no improvement.

Suggestions? Thanks!

Jim

2. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Well, nevermind. I went back and tested it again one more time and it's now passing the Internet connection. Go figure.

3. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    Gremlins!

4. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    You can bet I'll be checking it more regularly now. Of course, we can't do much with the Internet on our HR21's yet.

5. VLaslow

VLaslow Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    That happened to me on my HR20. So far, I haven't gotten the HR21-200 back on the net. I suppose it will happen just like yours.

6. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    I was going to post earlier, but the best I could do was Gremlins when the 4 month old was screaming on my lap.

Mrs. Smiddy has her now so...

I don't have connection problems any longer since I changed my DHCP server. i have more problems with the HR20-700 disconnecting (or so it appears, the menu item Music & Photos gets removed and won't come back). The HR21-200 doesn't disconnect at all, but then again, I'm having issues with the Music & Photos, mainly the photos.

What does your setup for networking look like?

7. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Relatively straightforward ....

* Verizon FIOS Wireless Gateway/Router
    * HR20-700 connected directly to Verizon Router (connects with no problems using DHCP)
    * HR21-200 connected via Buffalo Air Station (seems to connect OK with static IP)

8. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    Uhm, is the DHCP only on the Verizon router or are you using two DHCP servers for you network? Assuming the Air Station being the second one, or is the Air Station an access point only?

When I was having troubles with DHCP, my DSL modem was serving my wireless router, which was serving the nodes under it. This didn't present a problem for the computers, they seemed to be tollerant of this. The HRx's had issues. I originally considered it to be the MN-700 wireless router, but have since considered it could have been the multiple DHCP servers. I need to retry this setup to be sure. I now only have one DHCP running and have had no issues with Default Settings.

When I couldn't get DHCP working I had to go static IP too, which works but does defeat the purpose of the DHCP.

9. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    I think I see the setup now, the Air Station acts like a node connecting the the wireless router? Like so:

10. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Right. The Air Station is just a wireless network "bridge". This one is nice because it also includes a 4-port hub.

11. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    Perhaps it has something to do with the wireless protocol as well? If you plug it into the verizon directly is there an issue? Can you put a network sniffer on the Air Station to look at the packets?

12. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Two cents:
    When the last software was pushed, Things got a bit strange.
    I pulled my net cable to see if it would help. It didn't, but finally it booted and I plugged it back in.
    Had network but no internet.
    Try this & that, but no luck.
    My IP should have been 192.xxx off my router.
    Using DHCP.
    Instead had 168 [or 169].XXX
    I'd seen this before going straight off one of my modems [the cable I think].
    Anyway, I finally tried pulling the cable again and then plugged it back in.
    192.xxx showed up and I'm fine now.
    I seems as if the 168/9.xx is some internal default that the HR21 "locks on to" when it can't find what it should.

13. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Exactly. That's the IP "loopback" address that's assigned when no DHCP server is found on the network.

So far mine is still working fine. Now we just need some more Internet-related functionality. Bring on DOD!

14. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I realize that this is a HR21-200 thread, but my HR21-700 has had the same problem since the 0x18f push (it worked before that). Same with 0x190. I tried using a 192.168.0.x static address but that didn't help. If I can't get it working, I'll move it to where I can use a cable connection to the router and try to troubleshoot some more. The network test shows a network connection (which may only mean it sees the Buffalo bridge) but no internet connection (my router sees the bridge but not the HR21). My feeling is that the network setup code may be a bit flakey, but it worked before.

Previously I got the 16x.xxx.xxx.xxx IP address a few times, but a "restore defaults" would cause it to grab a proper address from the router via DHCP.

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I think we're all in the same boat [be it a -200 or -700].
    You have a wireless adapter right?
    I'd think if you pull it and plug it back in [with the default settings] it would be just like me and my cable. That's what finally worked after doing just about everything you did first.

16. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I moved it to the living room (where both my HR20 and router are located) and was able to set up networking. Strangely, the MAC address of the HR21 had changed (??)

Music & Photos are back. Now to move it back to the bedroom and wireless adapter.

Edit: It still didn't work there. I'll try to find another way to test the Buffalo wireless adapter.

17. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    That is interesting, the MAC address difference. Perhaps the Buffalo is doing something to the MAC address?

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Another "dumb" question:
    Since there are two ports, is the plastic plug still on one of them?
    Or was it simply that the wireless adapter plugged into the "other" port this time?

19. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    That is an interesting question...you could potentially plug the wrong ethernet connection in, which would give a different MAC address.

Everything I've seen here is the secondary ethernet port is a passthru, but can it be used for connecting directly to the network?

20. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Don't ask me. I still have the plastic cap on it. :lol: