1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR21-200 WAF

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - HR21 Discussion (private)' started by Stuart Sweet, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I would like to point out that the WAF on the HR21-200 has been off the charts high compared to previous DIRECTV receivers.

Previous receivers in this room included (with Mrs. Shadow's most common complaint):

• 2003-era RCA SD receiver - "Why is it so hard to read the menus"
    • D10 - "It worries me when the cat sits on it."
    • R10 - "I love TiVo but it's big loud and ugly."
    • H21 - "Tell me again why it's not a DVR? Who wants something that's not a DVR?"
    • HR20 - "Why is it so loud? And that light! That's ridiculous!"

The HR21 is perfect for a bedroom, it's quiet, does not vent from the top, the lights are dim, and the piano black finish looks nice with the furniture. It's a 1-cable connection to the similarly-styled TV, and as soon as the Harmony Remote arrives it will be a total slam dunk. (RC64 does not properly control the TV).

Great job, DIRECTV!

2. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    That is where I have mine and I agree, a WAF must have.

3. MikeR

MikeR Hall Of Fame

Oct 5, 2006
    It certainly does look sweet...even surrounded by all silver components!:D I set the TV offcenter...just to get a better look at it. That doesn't help the WAF, but it satisfies my visual stimulii needs. Now I just need to get a nice black 42" Samsung to go with it. Santa, I've been good this year!

4. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    The -700 would have had a high WAF if it hadn't crashed several times a day over the first few weeks. :p

5. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Mine's also in the bedroom.

Wife loves it.

She also just commented the other night that she now can even use the remote in the dark without looking. Said it's true that eventually she'd get used to the DirecTV remote, and forget about the TiVo remote,

True story ...

6. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    In Casa Shadow, the WAF on the DIRECTV RC-series remotes has been quite low. Mrs. Shadow has been used to home theatre remotes that turn everything on with one push, and the RC series has not done that consistently in our house. Also when we had aforementioned RCA, I bought a backlit remote that was a big hit, and the stock RC series without backlight suffers by comparison.

The upside is that it makes it much easier to get a home theatre remote.

For those who are looking for a "passable" TV to compliment the HR21, I highly recommend the Insignia line. Again, let's remember we have living rooms if we want great picture quality. The Insignia suffers mostly from a narrow viewing angle which is ok if you're watching in bed. It has a headphone jack for those who don't wish to wake the spouse and is neatly styled reminiscent of the current line of Philips and Samsung TVs.

7. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    All is good for me with the WAF and DAF except the incessant crackling noise. They've kinda grown accustomed to it, but it's very much less than desired. I really hope that it can be fixed ..

8. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Did you try DD off? I don't remember what you said on that. That's what solved it for me. I know VLaslow solved his with a better quality HDMI cable.

9. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    Sorry I have to ask, because the only thing WAF means to me is Women Air Force. What is WAF and DAF?

10. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Honestly, my wife really doesn't care.

"As long as the damn thing works." And that "thing" can be any of the equipment, not specifically the HRXX. She just wants to change channels and watch TV.

11. HDTVsportsfan

Nov 29, 2005

Wife Approval Factor.

Not sure about DAF. Dad Approval Factor maybe.

12. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    No DD did not cure the problem in the least. I have tried different HDMI cables, but all were from DIRECTV .. perhaps a better quality cable would do the trick ..

13. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Daughter :D

14. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    My -700 has a great WAF - oh wait. I'm single, so I can only speak for myself.

My -700 has a great SAF.

:D

15. VLaslow

VLaslow Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    So, if I were really smart and when it's ready, I'd put my hr21-200 in the living room where the wife uses it all night long. Okay, I'll think about that.:)

16. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    Master of your domain, eh? :lol: Sorry, too much Seinfeld for me.

OK, thanks everyone for the acronym descirptions...maybe an acronym forum is needed, or is there one already?

17. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    If we did, it'd be JFS .. :p

18. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    Just
    For
    Smiddy

Nice, then I'd feel all special and stuff. Maybe I can be on the short bus and wear a helmet, eh? :D

19. HDTVsportsfan

Nov 29, 2005
    Oh...well that makes sense. I can realte to that. :)

20. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    WAF would be WAY up with MRV ;) then she could watch all her stuff on the 21..