HR21 2nd Ethernet port to bridge DECA Cloud to Ethernet?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mattgwyther, Jun 23, 2010.

1. mattgwyther

mattgwyther Member

May 22, 2007
    Quick question... I'm finally getting my DECA's installed today. I previously had my HR21 hooked into the Internet through Ethernet.

I understand that the DECA's build an independant "cloud" across one of the SWM channels. The typical install has separate DECA adaptor to bridge the DECA network to a home network.... My question is can the 2nd port on the HR21 be used as this bridge?

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Bad idea.

3. mattgwyther

mattgwyther Member

May 22, 2007
    I was trying to eliminate the extra DECA adaptor and power supply in the cabinet.. But if it isn't worth it then I'll deal with it. Thanks

4. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    +1

The second ethernet port is not an actual switch and uses the CPU of the receiver to work. Thus, you will be affecting the performance of your receiver by doing this. Plus, this will make your MRV setup become "unsupported".

- Merg

5. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Understand the idea and logic...but it will not work properly using the 2nd port.

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Let me agree... simply do not do this.

7. mattgwyther

mattgwyther Member

May 22, 2007
    Great thanks for the advise and quick replies... Always willing to learn from other peoples headaches, thanks again guys!

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Not that I need to pile on here, but as one that did try this, it isn't a good outcome.

9. RobertE

RobertE Active Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Think back to the early Win95/98 days with the WinModem/softmodems. While they were a modem, they were much more software driven vs a true hardware modem.

More or less, it's the same thing with the ethernet in the HRs. More software/cpu diven vs dedicated hardware.

As some consider the CPUs in the HR21/22/23s underpowered, your putting additional load on an already overloaded system.

10. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Why is it I have you pictured standing next to a black cat when that happened? ;):D

11. Primetime19

Primetime19 Cool Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Although unsupported, I have my ethernet cable from the router plugged directly into my DVR2 (HR22) bottom port. I have an ethernet cable connecting the top port of DVR2 to DVR1 (HR22). I have the DECA's ethernet plugged into the bottom port of DVR1 and the DECA's ethernet port plugged into the only port on the HD receiver (H21).

All 3 have Local IPs on the network (.101, .102 and .103) with automatic DHCP, I have WHDVR and OnDemand working.

It can be done this way without issue.

12. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    While sometimes "unsupported" means that it works fine, but it's just unsupported, this is not one on those cases.

"without issue" isn't correct, and as mentioned above, VOS has the scars to prove it. :)

It will work most of the time, but the performance of the host box may certainly be affected, and any reboot of the host receiver can cause a mess, with VOS having the details.

13. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    From the multiple posts here on this particular kind of setup...it seems pretty clear this is a problem waiting to happen.

A "jimmy rig" unsupported networking method may somehow function for a limited period of time, but it neither makes it right overall,l nor assures it will continue to operate problem free.

Knowing this, it would seem prudent to look to configure a network setup as to avoid either damage to equipment and/or future operational problems.

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    While you may not notice any slowdowns of the DVR, it is happening as the CPU has to handle all the traffic going through this port, what you will notice is:
    If this receiver starts to download software, it can/will lockup your router. I could "get by" with reboots and this not happening, but during the extended length of downloading software [long before it even starts to install] this configuration always locked up my router.
    Since switches are so cheap now [$10 newegg], why not use a device designed for this instead of one that isn't and DOES cause problems?

15. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yup .. I've seen the same thing .. reboot the host box and it can and will bring down your router and your entire home network. If you forget about this kludge, you'll be scratching your head as to why this happened, perhaps taking a while to actually fix the problem. Stop using the HR2x as a bridge and you'll never see the problem I've described.

16. Primetime19

Primetime19 Cool Member

Jun 10, 2010
    If only 1 switch is necessary for $10, I'll buy it, but looking at these pictures online, it looks like more equipment is needed. The supported method without OnDemand has 3 decas going into the top port with a CAT5. What equipment needs to be purchased to connect a router in order to be supported?

Btw, before I reboot the box, I always disconnect from the home network first. I haven't had to deal with a software update yet though.

17. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    If I understand, you currently have a DECA on three receivers and were using the second ethernet port to bridge to your home network.
    To go with the supported method would take one more DECA [and a PI to power it] that connects through the coax to your other receivers and through ethernet to your router/home network.
    I think DirecTV sells this for $25, but I don't think that covers the install cost.
    If you've paid to have DirecTV install your current DECAs, then you may have some leverage to have them come back out and install the DECA to router.

18. Primetime19

Primetime19 Cool Member

Jun 10, 2010
    They told me it would be $75. That's why I am going unsupported.

19. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    $25 parts + $50 service call.
    How did you get what you have now?
    If you paid to have DirecTV install what you have, and it's been less than 90 days, I'm fairly sure you can explain to them you didn't get everything you wanted and have them come back out. Maybe you have to pay the $25, but if I had paid the upgrade [$99 + $49], then I'd be expecting them to have done it correctly [even if I didn't know what that was and let them leave before everything was done correctly]. "They" shouldn't have left you using the second ethernet port for the internet connection.

20. TITAN_53

TITAN_53 Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    I can back this up as I currently have 3 DVR's running off of each other using the 2nd ports on 2 of them. I've never noticed an issue with the DVR's themselves so have always thought "It can be done this way without issue" BUT I sure have had a lot of problems with my router. Having read this, I am glad I never tried replacing it and will soon be purchasing a switch to run off of to avoid the 2nd port of the DVR's. Thank you VOS and Doug!! :gott: