1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR21-700: 0x0206 Issues / Discussion

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Stuart Sweet, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 12, 2008 #1 of 315
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    HR21-700: 0x0206
    Staggered rollout began 3/11/08.
    Nationally on 3/12/08.

Release notes:
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=122530

Please keep discussion confined to issues only with this receiver.

Please don't post "Got it" or "Didn't Get it" posts, they will be deleted.

2. Mar 12, 2008 #2 of 315
    gully_foyle

gully_foyle Hall Of Fame

Jan 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Looked at the release notes and can't say they are too informative, and I don't notice anything right off in the update I just got.

What changes have been noticed in testing? In particular what are "video output improvements"?

3. Mar 12, 2008 #3 of 315
    gsilliman

gsilliman New Member

Feb 6, 2008
    I'm really surprised this was pushed to NR status. The number of issues reported on the CE thread seemed like they had more polishing to do. Is this normal? Do we normally get half baked NRs?

4. Mar 12, 2008 #4 of 315
    SteelersFan_in_CA

SteelersFan_in_CA AllStar

Jan 1, 2008
    It looks like you pasted the bolded info above from another thread.:)

5. Mar 12, 2008 #5 of 315
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    All fixed ..

6. Mar 12, 2008 #6 of 315
    doo4usc

doo4usc Legend

Oct 20, 2006
    Temecula
    I've spent the last 3 weeks at my daughters home,in Temecula Ca,and they are big sports fans. For the last month they've had troubles with 771 on HD channels,they are big NASCAR fans and watch 607 all the time 90% of the they 771 and they get the same with 652. I've noticed some HD movie and local HD channels as well.They've called,swapped cables and rebooted and then CS says"there technical issues". They got the new update this AM,the only help is to reboot and then the problems soon returns..I've read some of your earlier replys to the issue but none lately..Any new news? Thx Doo

7. Mar 12, 2008 #7 of 315
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    What are their signal strengths on the 99 and 103(c & s) Sats

8. Mar 12, 2008 #8 of 315
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Not sure what you are referring to as the "number" of issues in the CE threads..

Quickly reviewing the threads, there are not that many issues reported...
    None, at least on their surface appear to be critical widespread amongst all the CE testers, that would appear to stop the CE from becoming a national release.

If you are waiting for perfection in the NR... then we would probably wait a LONG time for NR, instead of incremental releases and updates.

Is there one particular issue that you see in the few that were posted, that you feel should have stopped this from going to a NR?

Did you have the CE? Was there an issue that you reported, that you think warranted it not to go NR...

DirecTV does review all the CE issue reports, plus their own internal and alpha testing... before deciding on if it goes NR....

There is also a bigger picture schedule... that comes into play as well.
    And sometimes they will rollout out a fairly stable version... that fixes some key things... in order to allow a longer development cycle for the next version.

9. Mar 12, 2008 #9 of 315
    doo4usc

doo4usc Legend

Oct 20, 2006
    Temecula
    All readings are the same on both tuners..
    99(s)1-6 All blank or 0
    103(s)1-6 All 0
    15,16 blank
    17-24 blank
    103(c)1-8 All under 33 or blank
    9-16 under 33 or blank
    17 "0"
    22 "0"

10. Mar 12, 2008 #10 of 315
    doo4usc

doo4usc Legend

Oct 20, 2006
    Temecula
    I forgot to mention they have the HR 21-700

11. Mar 12, 2008 #11 of 315
    scottman

scottman Legend

Jan 2, 2008
    I do see the video improvement. SD shows, whether the old b&w or cartoons, appeared very jagged prior to this version. I notice now that the edges are much smoother. As if the broadcast comes in at 480, but they upconvert it to a higher resolution. I watched Dick Van Dyke on Chicago 23 and couldn't believe how much clearer a 45 year old show has become. Also, I almost think the higher resolutions appear clearer, with bolder colors. Also the guide display seems like the text is smoother and someone brighter colors. This from a Sony 54 inch letterbox lcd, 6 yrs old (with some burn-in thanks to the old music choice channels and my old rca receiver:mad:)

12. Mar 12, 2008 #12 of 315
    Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    Check out the show info now.

13. Mar 12, 2008 #13 of 315
    gsilliman

gsilliman New Member

Feb 6, 2008
    I suppose my impression of the number of issues related to the people seeing audio issues. Perhaps my sense of too many has a lower threshold.

I see your point, and although we all want to get the new and shiny sooner, I lean towards longer release cycles with fewer residual issues.

As for my own participation in CE's. No, I have not taken any of the recent CE's. My only DTV unit is my HR21-700 on our primary tv. I have 2 tivo branded sd tdv dvrs on other sets in the house. I know the two females in my house would take issue if I took the CE and then the receiver was unreliable for them. Self preservation comes first.

So to sum it up, my threshold for issues is just lower than dtv's for release. I'll try to keep that in mind while watching these threads.

14. Mar 12, 2008 #14 of 315
    LVKeith

LVKeith Mentor

Nov 12, 2007
    I got this update last night.

Previously I had download the CE from 2 weeks ago on which this was based. I had numerous audio issues relating to that CE including "stuttering" at times on live broadcast (also noticed random dropouts on live and recorded). Rewinding in the buffer would correct. Eventually I reverted back to the NR (01FE) and these issues stopped.

I was unable to download last weekend's CE. Today when I got home from work I noticed the audio stuttering on a SD channel (Fox News). Previously I had only noticed this on HD channels. I went into setup to check my signal levels (which are all 95+) and noticed that this update was pushed at 2AM this morning. Well, that answered my question as to why the audio problems are back.

As another poster said, I cannot see why this was quickly pushed as a national release. Reading the CE thread there seems to be many unresolved issues with the lastest CE. Hopefully the audio issues will be addressed in future releases.

Keith

15. Mar 12, 2008 #15 of 315
    Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Is it pretty much for sure this is just for stability and such, aka no new features or anything?

I have yet to get it so I was just curious.

16. Mar 13, 2008 #16 of 315
    pacjag

pacjag Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    Mine updated this morning around 3:45 EDT. The receiver was totally non-responsive when I tried to turn it on. No lights, nothing. I pulled the power cord, waited a few secoonds and plugged it back in. Still no lights but when I hit the power button it booted up, which still takes forever.

The guide seems faster. I forgot to note if the channel banner was working better when you change the channels.

17. Mar 13, 2008 #17 of 315
    belloc

belloc Cool Member

May 23, 2007
    Guide definitely seems faster. I had no trouble with a locked box in the morning when it rebooted after the upgrade.

The only other difference seemed to be an audio delay (out of sync with video) on a show I had recorded Tuesday night before the upgrade. I can't recall seeing such dramatic lack of sync before this upgrade, but neither can I be sure that the new software caused it. Just something to report.

18. Mar 13, 2008 #18 of 315
    rweiss

rweiss New Member

Mar 13, 2008
    For the past 2 hours, my HR21-700 had found new software and downloaded it -- at least 4 or 5 (or more) times. Is this normal? After the first time, the usual startup process completed and the TV station came on, but a warning immediately appeared that a download was about to begin. All times since have simply gotten to 100% and then started over. The numbers in the upper left hand corner seem to be changing. Is there something wrong or do I just continue to let it download over and over again?
    Thanks.

19. Mar 13, 2008 #19 of 315
    Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Welcome to DBSTalk

No that is not normal and should not be doing that. I would call DIRECTV and let them know.

20. Mar 13, 2008 #20 of 315
    TJCombo

TJCombo New Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Long time lurker, first time poster.

First real problem I have had with this receiver. Got the update sometime this morning and woke up to "Step 1 of 2" screen. Let it sit about 30 mins because I wasn't sure if I just got it or not but Step 2 of 2 never came.

So after numerous RBRs I forced the download again and same thing is still happening.

Any suggestions before I have to call the screen readers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.