1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR21-700 Died; what replaces it?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by allenn, Oct 26, 2011.

1. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    What model refurbs are being shipped to replace dead DVR's?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Could be just about anything .... HR20, HR21, HR22, HR23 or HR24. DirecTV's system doesn't let you specify or guarantee any specific model.

3. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    Will all of the models work with AM21?

4. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    The HR20 doesn't need the AM21, it has the OTA tuners built in. All the rest work with the AM21.

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    All models except the HR20 that has built-in OTA.

6. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    D* is back-ordered on HR DVR replacements. Don't know when I will get another one. Very strange!

7. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    Mine just died yesterday too.
    They said I should get the replacement tomorrow.
    An HR 24 would be a nice replacement but I know better than too expect one.

8. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    That doesnt sound right at all, i would call in again to be honest.

9. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    It wasn't dead after all. I unplugged the ethernet cable & tightened the coaxial cables and it booted up. I don't know why the tech didn't think of that.
    The question now is what do I do with the replacement I'm supposed to be getting tomorrow?
    Should I go ahead & use it in case the HR21-700 starts acting funny again or just send it back?

10. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    When it gets delivered you could refuse to receive it.
    Or you can use the new one (hopefully its a better model) and ship the current one back. Or if no one is around to refuse receiving it, you could just send it back all together without switching.

So you have some options.
    Personally i would check to see what they shipped,and if its a better receiver i'd keep it.

11. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    What would you consider better than the HR21-700?
    I very seriously doubt if they will send a HR24.

12. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    I meant in regards to condition.

13. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    The HR21 was new in the box when I got it. The replacement will probably be a refurb :(

14. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    I talked to retention, and they said no replacements in warehouse. So what else can I do?

15. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    If I even get a replacement...

16. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    It sounds like some warehouses are out of HD-DVRs and others aren't. If they told you that yours would come today your closest warehouse must have them in stock so you should get it today.

If you have a bunch of recordings that you want to keep then I would just keep your current box and send the replacement back.

If you don't care about your current recordings and they send you an HR22, HR23, or HR24 I would consider swapping them out so you get the bigger hard drive (they hold about 100 hours of HD instead of 50 like your HR21).

17. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    The HR21-700 has a hard drive failure, so all recordings are lost. The D* C.S. agent which ordered the replacement said 2 days. The Retention agent said that the DVR's were back-ordered and I have not received a tracking number. My guess the DVR is back-ordered. Thanks for the reply.

18. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I was actually replying to RedOrc, who thought his DVR was broken, but later found it wasn't. Obviously if your DVR is broken you would want to send it back and start using the new one.

As far as the difference in shipping it still sounds like it's probably like I said. The regular CSR was ordering from one warehouse that had them available and was able to get it shipped out, the retention CSR was looking at a different warehouse that was backordered on DVRs.

I have never received a tracking order for any of my DirecTV stuff I have ordered. The initial email for the order always acts like they will send another email with the tracking info, but I have never had that actually happen. I believe you can usually log back in, or call in later and get the tracking info though.

19. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    Nothing came today so maybe they are out of stock everywhere.

20. Terry Kennedy

Terry Kennedy New Member

Apr 6, 2008
    See if they'll give you some credit on your bill if you order a HR24 from Solid Signal, weaknees, or similar. That way you'll have a new DVR with the fastest CPU / biggest hard drive.