HR21-700 into media center

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by urwastinurtime, Aug 9, 2011.

1. urwastinurtime

urwastinurtime New Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Is it possible to put custom firmware on this HD Dvr so I could use it as a media center? I bought it on ebay but directv wouldn't let me register it so i'm trying to find another use for it.

I thought since it has HDMI out and an ethernet port it would make a great media center.

Any other ideas on what I could do with it?

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    No there isn't. Unfortunately it sounds like you bought an activated leased unit, which essentially is a paperweight.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    You might be able to use the hard drive in something. It's either 320GB or 500GB depending on the HD DVR model you got.

Also, the USB port provides power that can charge your iPod :)

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Sure.

Take that DVR Linux (open source part what published at DTV site) source, create proper environment for developing BCM7xxx based kernel and drivers and spending a few years come here with the desired WHMC (whole home media center). We will be glad to test your software !

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    With drive sizes and prices these days, I'm not convinced using even the big DVR drive is worth it. Though I'd be sure to back up. The drives are pretty resilient because of what they are designed for, but I wouldn't rely on a 5 year old drive that was in an unknown environment to critical data.

6. jahgreen

jahgreen Godfather

Dec 15, 2006
    Unfortunately, urwastinurtime.