1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR21-700 Replacement (Upgrade)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bainbridgematt, Oct 30, 2012.

1. bainbridgematt

bainbridgematt New Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Hello everyone. I've got an HR21-700 and am looking to upgrade. We've got whole home DVR (had to bypass the adapter box and plug the receiver directly into the ethernet switch). My contract is about to expire. I want to ditch the HR21 and upgrade, but need some guidance.

First off, we like the whole home DVR, but we don't really use it very often so we could live without the whole home part. I'd really just like a more responsive receiver (the HR21 is painfully slow). I'd also like to avoid getting a new contract, but I'm not sure if that is possible. I'm trying to figure out if I should try for an HR24 or go for an HR34, or is there some other options.

Can anyone make some recommendations for me?

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I'd say the 34, it's the only one they can guarantee. Or order a 24 from a site like Solid Signal, but no chance for a deal there. Will be $200 leased.

3. bainbridgematt

Oct 29, 2012
    So that makes me assume that there is no way to just purchase a receiver without having to get a new contract huh?

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Any upgrades will require another contract. The only two DVRs you can order from DirecTV are the 34 Genie or a TiVo. Since you aren't big on whole home, you might want to take a look at the TiVo (under First Looks). Good luck.

5. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    If you want something other than the HR21, your only option is to get the HR34 (Genie) through D*, or get a specific model from another provider (like solid signal).

It's unlikely D* will give you any discounts to "upgrade", but you never know until you call, and any way you do it there'll be a new commitment.

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    There are a few owned receivers and DVRs that people sell and you can buy and activate without a contract. But you have to be careful. Get the receiver ID number (RID) then call DirecTV and confirm that you can activate the unit if you buy it. Check the buy/sell forum here for units.

7. JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith Legend

Dec 5, 2009
  8. bainbridgematt

Oct 29, 2012