hr21 and networked drive

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jerryt17, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerryt17

jerryt17 New Member

Dec 26, 2007
    i have a networked maxtor drive, my hr21 sees the drive, and all the media , however there are x's in one column and 0:00 for duration of the clips. what's wrong. the hr21 can see my laptop and other computers on my network and can play music located on my shared documents folder. any ideas ????

2. mjones73

mjones73 Icon

Jun 20, 2006
    What are you using as your media server to share the content on the drive? Have you changed the user that service for your media server runs as so it can access the shared drive?

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    If you're using Windows Media Player, consider going to TVersity or one of the other options. They seem to be better.

4. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    The HR2x cannot itself decode MP3 files - it currently requires a media server to do the conversion to a format called LPCM. Without that, you'll get exactly the symptom you describe. I have found that even those network storage boxes that include a media server will rarely, if ever, be able to do this.

I have read that adding native MP3 decoding may be in the future. But for now you have to have a PC running TVersity, Twonky, Windows Media Player or the such to "serve" the music in the form that the HR2x wants.

5. tvl76

tvl76 AllStar

Dec 7, 2006
    Hi-jack, but similar status. I have a Buffalo Link Station NAS with Twonky loaded.
    I also have the addon transcoders for flac and mp3 installed.
    My HR20-700, in Media Share (MS) sees the music files,
    (I have two flac folders and two mp3 folders to share) three folders contain files that have the preceeding x and 0.00 lengths but one mp3 folder is listed normal, (without the x and correct song lengths indicated).
    However none of the songs will play.
    When I select to play a song (without the "x"), I get asked to add pictures or just music, then this message "unable to access media, ok". I press ok then next song in the list is selected (by MS) with same message appears, then on third attempt the message "unable to access LS, check network and try again, ok" Press ok bumps me out of MS.
    I am able to view my photos, which are stored on the nas, without any problem.
    I am also able to view all my pc stored media with wmp11. But I really want the nas to work.

Any helpers ?

6. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
  7. tvl76

tvl76 AllStar

Dec 7, 2006
    I do have the MP3->LPCM addons. I tried both the windows and linux versions. I also have the flac->wav addons. The song info comes through, artist, title, genre, etc but still won't play.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.