1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR21 Disk Upgrade "Searching For Authorized Content"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by xfile8888, Dec 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xfile8888

xfile8888 New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Sorry for the long thread, but it is worth the read.

Just got a new HR21 and instead of using the factory HD, I replaced it with a larger SATA drive (yes, I understand about the warranty) and all was good. Unit configured with no problems and I was off recording content until I had a problem with the unit randonly freezing up. Received a replacement HR21 and proceeded to swap the new factory HD with my existing content filled SATA drive. New unit configured with no issues and I can see all of my content and favorites, but when I go to try and play a recorded movie or show I get the following error "Searching For Authorized Content". After 30 seconds or so, I am presented with a delete or keep option. BTW, all new recordings work fine and can be played back w/o issue.

Couple of questions for you:
    1. What is the upgrade path between HR models when trying to retain your content? Can't you simply replace the HD like I did?

2. When recording content, does each HR DVR some how serialize the content to prevent viewing on another DVR - hence the error message?

3. Is there a work around to this error message which will allow me to view the existing content? Since they will not even play, I can not burn them to an external DVD source.

Thanks in advance.
    XFILE8888

2. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    My understanding is that content is married to the original unit/access card, so that you cannot just swap internal or eSata drives and watch the old content on a new HR20/21.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    First of all you know I have to say it,

DO NOT open the case on an HR21, you have voided your lease agreement, you are going against your customer agreement and voided your warranty. eSATA is a great alternative.

Then maybe if you do, don't crow about it on the Internet.

But let's say you did all that and were willing to live with the karma. There is no reliable path for moving recordings from one DVR to another, or from one hard drive to another. The DIRECTV HD DVR is designed with DRM to keep that from happening.

4. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Yes the content is matched to original reciever.. this is true for both internal and external drives.. It will ony play on reciever it was recorded from.. Just delete the old stuff and start recording new.. new recordings will play fine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.