1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR21 doesnt seem to recognize esata drive

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Williams505, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Williams505

Williams505 New Member

Jun 6, 2009
    I just got a new WD my book external 1TB drive. Unplugged dvr, plugged in esata cable and pwr to hard drive. Plugged dvr back up and the lights on both the dvr and HD blink on and off, dvr goes thru self tests, checking sat settings, then comes back normal.

When I go to the recorded list is still shows there is only 9% remaining. Is there a step I am missing? Could not find any instructions in my dvr manual.

2. l8er

l8er Icon

Jun 18, 2004
    If you look through the eSATA FAQ you'll see that some people have success and some don't with the WD My Books.

3. gazzie4

gazzie4 Legend

Mar 14, 2007
    I tried 3 different ones before I figured out that it was incompatibility. I reccomend you take it back and get another, just make sure you don't get one with a "GREEN" drive in it, they don't work...

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    The WD MyBook drives don't work. But the WD MyDVR Expansion drives should work fine.

5. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Strangely enough, the WD Mybooks work pretty well on a Dish system, used as USB. Maybe you can sell it to a Dish user.

But they do seem to have problems on Directv.

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    They definitely don't work with a 20-700. There have been posts reporting that they do work with the 21s.

Rich