1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR21 drive fail

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by wrz0170, Nov 12, 2010.

1. wrz0170

wrz0170 AllStar

Oct 29, 2007
    Hi everyone!

We have a HR21-700 that is over 2 years old that now goes into a repair mode and scans the hard drive for hours on end then starts over. I call it the Blue Screen of Death myself. I fear that the drive is failing if not gone.

Anyway, looking for the best solutions or solutions others have considered. We have been done with a 2 year agreement since last November. Not sure if I own it or if it is leased? They charged me for a lease but then credited the same on my bill.

1. Could I replace the drive myself and revive it, not sure what implications about the lease.

2. Do I gear up and do battle with CS and try to get another receiver on the cheap but leave it to fate as to what type of receiver I will get?

3. Do I outright purchase/lease one of the newer HR24s? from somewhere like Amazon and activate it?

Thanks for any assistance! :)

2. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I had the same issue with my HR21-100 and yeah, it’s going. I found that every time it started to act up, I could do a menu restart and it would fail on the boot test, restart itself a couple of times, and then come back.

When it really started to go I had to run a surface scan before it would come back. All this gave me time watch what was left on the drive...actually my wife and 25 episodes of GH.

It’s a lease so you can’t replace the internal drive. You could add an eSATA drive. How’s a couple of TBs of recording space sound. :D

You probably won’t have to do much in the way of battle. Just give the CSR the error code on the blue screen and they should just order a replacement.

You could get an HR24 from a retailer but you’d have to pay the cost where as the replacement for a defective drive will be free...maybe some shipping cost. If you purchased the HR24 you would have to deactivate the HR21 and return it DirecTV.

Mike

3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    If this is the only DVR on your account, DirecTV charges the lease fee and then credits it back. Having the lease fee listed indicates that the DVR is a leased unit. Since it leased, DirecTV will replace it for the cost of shipping. You do need to go through a CSR and prove it has indeed failed. They will send whatever refurbished unit that falls off the shelf.:) You might get lucky and get an HR24, but don't count on it.

My HR20-100 recently did what your HR21 is doing. I just obtained an HR24 from SolidSignal as I wanted the faster HR24. I activated it and deactivated the HR20 and now I'm waiting for the recovery box to send the HR20 back.

4. wrz0170

wrz0170 AllStar

Oct 29, 2007
    Thanks for your replies!! Much appreciated. I decided to call CS and they are sending me a new receiver. She couldn't tell me which model. I'm not surprised. Only cost was for shipping. So I will see what the dice rolls for me in a couple of days. All in all not too painful. I was done with the call in about 10 minutes.

5. Denman

Denman Cool Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Have a unit failing...one to many downloads maybe but a replacement is on the way, no cost with the protection plan.