1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR21 freezes frequently

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jtudor, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Feb 4, 2009 #1 of 36
    jtudor

jtudor Legend

Feb 23, 2008
    For the past week my DVR has been freezing often. It acts like I have paused it and it may stay paused for 5 to 60 seconds, then it picks up exactly where it left off.

I have reset from the menu multiple times and done the RBR multiple times as well, nothing helps.

Does anyone have any other suggestions before I call DTV?

I first thought it was only on the HD channels, but now I am seeing the same behavior on the SD channels as well. I don't watch SD much so it may have been happening there all along.

Once tonight when it paused, it would not respond to any button on the remote, but after it started playing again, it also reacted to every button I had pushed while it was paused.

When it finished recording in about 10 minutes, I can get signal strength readings if that will help.

2. Feb 4, 2009 #2 of 36
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Id call Directv. That sounds like a hard drive about to fail to me. They can run you through the procedure to reformat the drive, and or redownload the system software which may be corrupted. Of course, either of these could cause a total failure if it is indeed a hardware problem, so it would be beneficial to have it fail doing something they told you to try.

3. Feb 4, 2009 #3 of 36
    jtudor

jtudor Legend

Feb 23, 2008
    Would that also affect Live viewing as well as recorded? I have the same problem on live and recorded programs.

4. Feb 5, 2009 #4 of 36
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Most likely since with a DVR you are never truly watching a live recording, its always playing back from the buffer, however slight that delay is

5. Feb 8, 2009 #5 of 36
    booradly

booradly Cool Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Did you call DTV? What did they say? We are having the same problem. I just hate calling them and then having them come out and replacing the receiver yet again. I think we have gone through 2 or 3 already.
    Michele

6. Feb 8, 2009 #6 of 36
    jtudor

jtudor Legend

Feb 23, 2008
    I did call, and they had me do some troubleshooting over the phone, remove the BBC's make sure they had good connections and that the center wire was not broken. Also had me swap. They noted the account so that I would not have to do that again if it didn't fix the problem.

Well it didn't fix it, only took about an hour for the problem to come back. I called back and they set up a service call for today.

The tech came out and replaced one of the BBC's due to it having stripped threads and would not tighten down. Then he put a meter on the dish and re-aligned it. Signal strength that he was looking at went from 77 to 95.

So far, so good, and did not (yet) replace the DVR.

Now it's just time to see if the problem comes back.

7. Feb 8, 2009 #7 of 36
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Sounds like you might just be "whole" again...good news that your problem got resolved.

8. Feb 8, 2009 #8 of 36
    booradly

booradly Cool Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Thanks for the information. We are only having it on one our receivers so I am going to try and replace the bbc and see if that helps.

Michele

9. Feb 9, 2009 #9 of 36
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You'd be better off scheduling a dish realignment. If you have the same model HRs you might swap a "good" HR with the one you're having problems with. If you still get the 771s, it's definitely a realignment/LNB issue of some sort.

Rich

10. mattefron

mattefron New Member

Feb 9, 2009
    I have been having the same exact problem. It is not happening on my other receiver, but the other one is SD & does not have an external hard drive. Since my other receiver is working, I can only assume that it is my HD receiver. I have talked to Direct TV technical support several times & I have done the same troubleshooting, but I am still having problems.

11. BimmerImmer

BimmerImmer Cool Member

Aug 31, 2007
    +1

HR20-700 with 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 eSata drive.

Recently, I've had a number of freeze-ups, where the DVR won't respond to remote or front panel buttons. It seems to store them up and it will occasionally wake up & act on a bunch at once.
    Red button reset cures it for the time being.

There has been some history with this particular drive, though.
    Before getting a firmware update for drive, the audio would drop out on recorded programs and the DVR GUI would get slower and slower. Since the firmware update, it's actually become usable.
    Look at this thread for info on firmware.
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=150427

I figured all these problems were the eSata since it never did these things on the internal drive.

12. jtudor

jtudor Legend

Feb 23, 2008
    UPDATE:

Still having the same problems, picture freezing, remote not responding etc.

I called DTV again and they are escalating me to the incident resolution team who is supposed to have the highest technical skills and works with recurring issues.

They are supposed to call me in the morning to work on the issue.

I wish they would just breakdown and send me a replacement DVR without all the hassle, but I can't get that lucky now can I?

13. sda3

sda3 Mentor

Nov 29, 2005
    Mine was having basically the same problem. Got the right CSR and I got the new one on saturday. It is an HR22, brand new.

14. starbiker99

starbiker99 AllStar

Feb 23, 2005
    We had the same issue with our HR21-700 and one call to a CSR and they shipped me a refurbed 21-100. No trouble with this unit so far.

15. jtudor

jtudor Legend

Feb 23, 2008
    Service call scheduled in the morning. I suspect not much will be done.

The software update may have fixed this issue. There have been no freezes since the update.

16. mattefron

mattefron New Member

Feb 9, 2009
    The new update came down & I am still having issues. I think the update killed my hard drive.

17. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    You may want to try re downloading the Sofware,
    1. Pres the red reset button (next to the D* Card)
    2. When the TV display's "HELLO"
    3. From the remote press 0,2,4,6,8
    4. It will force a New download.

What have you got to lose? Try it

18. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson

Updates DO NOT kill hard drives. If your drive was beginning to fail, bad sectors, etc., the reboot may have caught that.

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I was gonna buy a couple of the 1.5 Cudas but I read reviews that changed my mind. At least Seagate quickly took responsibility for the problems. Good company. Great technical support.

Rich

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've only had one eSATA adversely affected by an NR. Came up with the "Problems with hard drive (or however it's worded). Tried to fix it following the instructions and got nowhere. Reformatted the drive and it worked fine. I've only lost one hard drive so far and from the sound (grinding glass), I assumed a mechanical defect. These HRs are NOT hard on hard drives (pun intended).

Rich