1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hr21 no hdmi picture

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dudester, Dec 11, 2012.

1. dudester

dudester Cool Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Came home tonight and nothing , no pic no sound. I had the pic go out a few months ago but had sound and converted back to componet cable and it worked like a champ. Left it run a few days and went back to hdmi. I tried a red button rest since i had no screen and didnt work. Swapped the compent cables back into play from the dvd player and we were off and running. I switched back to hdmi and its dead. Put the picture back on componets and pulled up settings to check and sure enough, just like last time a new software update was loaded at 3 am. Anyone else had this issue. I don't mind the componets except i have to unplug my dvd and without a hdmi i do not get 1080p although i believe there are only a few channels that are broadcast in. Its really a pain in the ass more than anything.

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Only PPV and a very few VODs are in 1080p.

What unit? Using an AVR?
    What monitor? Tried swapping HDMI cables?

3. dudester

dudester Cool Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Hooked fo a newer sharp 60" led lcd. Kicked is the tv has 5 hdmi ports but only one set of componets. Tried swapping hdmi ports with no luck. Havent tried a new cable yet , but kind of hard to beloeve their software update took out my cable.

4. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    What DVR?

No, I'm not suggesting that software took out your HDMI connection, but it's something to check. Concurrence of events doesn't always mean cause and effect!

5. b52pooh

b52pooh Cool Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    With the HDMI connected, did you try cycling through the resolutions with the RES button on the front panel to see if there was any effect? If, as you say, you got a software download, the resolution settings may have been reset to defaults and you needed to go into the resolutions settings and reset them. Just a thought.

6. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Pretty good thought, too!

Welcome to DBSTalk!

:welcome_s

7. dudester

dudester Cool Member

Feb 16, 2012
    it wouldnt do anything. Like its locked. I had several years ago a hr20 that would not allow the receiver to come out of receiver check mode with hdmi hooked up.It was a bad receiver out of the box. Disconnected hdmi on that box and it would go ahead and boot up.

On edit just walked in and plugged hdmi back into receiver and retried . its on now. Did not do any other adjustments since last night when it didnt work. Will sit back and see how long it works.