1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR21 Pro HD Failure

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ScurvyDog, Jan 17, 2012.

1. ScurvyDog

ScurvyDog New Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Hi folks,

I have been having freezing issues for the last few weeks on my HR21 Pro and yesterday it crahsed and reset with hd self check with errors. Than it rebooted to "running receiver self check". :(

Since I own and and do not rent the box I would like to just replace the internal hd but, I am not sure if there is a boot code in flash on the receiver that would bootstrap a blank hd and download the direct-tv software on it. Does anyone have a link on this? I did see some links on external hd but, nothing yet on an internal swap? The physical swapping process is not a concern just getting the software back up and working.

Thoughts and advice?

Thanks!

2. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Unless it is different than the other HR series DVRs (highly unlikely), the operating system is not stored on the hard drive. Just install a new drive, and you are set.

3. Blurayfan

Blurayfan Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Illinois
    If you replace the internal Hard drive the box will format it on the first boot. If you prefer you could just hook an external drive to the unit as well.

4. ScurvyDog

ScurvyDog New Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Well that is great news. Is there a thread on what hd work well in the HR? The main hd thread I found was for external. Is the internal drive SATA I assume since the external is SATA? I would just crack the box and look but, I am traveling this week for work. Hoping to get some info so I can get a newegg hd waiting for me when I get home. :)

5. Blurayfan

Blurayfan Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Illinois
    The drive is a SATA drive. Some drives don't work right for some reason though. For example western digital had a few 4k sector based drives that the units had issues with.

6. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Not to nitpick, but for clarity:

HD = High Definition
    HDD = Hard Disk Drive

7. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!!

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    If the internal drive is not too far gone, you can even attempt to copy the contents to a new drive in order to save your recordings. There is a specific thread here for that. (it needs to be an owned box as yours it, not a leased box)

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    WD EVDS, EADS, EARS, EARX, EUR. Or just about any Green Caviar WD drive.

I've got EVDS, EADS, and a bunch of EARS drives and all will work on your Pro.

Rich

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I wouldn't go with any Seagate drives. And I wouldn't be so sure any drive that works externally will work internally or vice versa. I've never been able to get an EVDS to work externally on a 24-500, but the EVDS works fine internally. Maybe that's changed, I haven't had to change HDDs for a while.

Rich

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That problem has been taken care of. Started with the EARS and they now work quite well on the HRs.

Rich

11. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    All of my 7 Internal WD Hard Drives (6 WD20EADS and 1 WD10EADS) work Perfectly and I have Not had one problem with any of them and Internal Drives are Quieter than External Drives and you don't have any clutter from the External Drive Enclosure hanging around.

12. ScurvyDog

ScurvyDog New Member

Jun 8, 2008
    It came back after an overnight rebuild so hopefully than I can pull off the programming to a new drive. New HD-DVR don't appear to have an IR in port on the back which I use so keeping this puppy alive looks like my best option. Time for some open hdd surgery. ;)

13. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Godfather

Oct 21, 2006
    I put Seagate Barracuda Green 2T drives in both the HR34 and HR24. They are working great. Got one at Fry's and one at Best Buy.

14. racermd

racermd Legend

Dec 17, 2006
    From what I remember, all HR21-PRO units are owned, not leased, so cracking the case is a non-issue as regards any lease agreement. Replacing a disk is actually pretty easy to do, too.

Second, as for hard disk choices, most any SATA drive will do but it pays to put good money into a unit meant for continuous duty. The HR2* boxes aren't particularly sensitive about drive performance (according to my own unofficial tests with modern units, anyway), so I would recommend a low-power drive to keep the electricity bills and heat-generation to a minimum. With those two factors, the WD AV-GP or Seagate Pipeline drives are good choices. The more expensive RAID/Server/Workstation class of drives meet the 24/7 criteria well but are faster at the expense of power usage and heat - none of which the HR2* boxes want or need.

One word of caution - if you haven't opened your HR2* in a while (or ever), it is likely going to have a bunch of dust inside. Refrain from using your household vacuum cleaner to clean it out. The hose develops a small static charge due to the rush of air and other particles passing over the interior of the hose. If that static discharges into the electronics, it could brick your DVR (or computer, or whatever you might be vacuuming). Either get a cheap computer vacuum or use some compressed air (from a can or from a compressor) if you choose to clean up that dust since you can more effectively use that stream of air from a slight distance than you can with a vacuum.

No matter what drive you choose, and no matter whether you're replacing the internal drive or going with an external connection via eSATA, your HR2* will see that it lacks any of the specifics that it needs and will offer to format it for you.

15. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=167440

That thread is the "how to copy all your programs from one hdd to another" on your OWNED box and since you own the HR21 PRO that thread is your one stop shop.

16. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    That seems excessive. Also, it seems counter to the laws of physics for a dielectric (plastic hose) to hold a charge of any significance.

The bench repair crews where I work routinely used a high-power vacuum to remove dust, have done it that way since the 70's, and have yet to have this problem occur due to doing that (they did switch to a compressed air tank a few years ago, but that would seem to have the same issue, were there actually an issue). They repair multiple pieces of gear daily so we are talking tens of thousands of test cases. And this is in the desert; single-digit humidity.

The one thing they do watch out for is fans. They stick a screwdriver through the fan blades so that the rushing air can't rotate the blades and generate "back EMF" current into the circuitry. That current IS significant, and is thousands of times greater than what can be generated typically from static electricity, and is sustained rather than simply instantaneous.

I have a regular routine that may also be more superstitious than anything, but when I power down a piece of equipment I am going to work on or install a card or drive or whatever, I turn it off, touch the chassis with my hand to drain any potential charge from myself off to ground (in case I had just done the chicken dance on a wool carpet), and only then do I unplug it (otherwise that path to ground wouldn't be there). Does it prevent problems? Probably not. But maybe, and its an easy habit to get into.

But static electricity caused by rushing air is pretty minimal, especially since it really has no place to discharge when the device is off and unplugged and the current generated is pretty tiny. But many of the devices my guys fix have CMOS circuitry, and we haven't lost one yet.

On the other hand, do what you will at your own risk. A compressed air can available from a parts store will probably have even less potential to generate static electricity than either method our folks use; but really, that's sort of like worrying about being hit by a flaming meteor.

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The place I used to work had more dust than you'd believe. Beige dust in one building, carbon black dust in another, sticky resin dust in another. We used 5PSI air to blow the electronics out. Never used a vacuum cleaner, perhaps because of the static electricity issue. We had the compressed air piped into the buildings so the equipment could be cleaned in place. At 5PSI there are no federal regulations to worry about.

Amazing how they turn into generators isn't it?

Our IT people, mostly contractors, were required to wear a grounded wrist strap when working on equipment. In the Navy, we were not allowed to work on our radar equipment with two hands in a cabinet. Had to stick one hand in the back pocket of our denims. I think the wrist ground straps would have been good to have back then. Guess nobody thought of it.

Rich

18. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    The new HR34 does.

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    What do you use that for?

Rich

20. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    If you put a receiver in a cabinet and use some type of RF to IR base you can plug directly into the receiver instead of using a flasher.