HR21 to SL5 (non SWM) configuration question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by san67, Mar 23, 2017.

1. san67

san67 New Member

Mar 17, 2017
    I am in the process of trying to connect a HR21 to an older SL5KNR0 LNB. This is a non-SWM 4 output unit. This configuration currently has one H23 and one H21 receiver direct attached (i.e., no B Band Converter) to two of the four outputs on the SL5. Both receivers work fine and pick up all the HD channels.

I direct connected the HR21 to other two remaining outputs on the LNB using the "SL5 LNB" Dish Type option in the setup menu Satellite configuration section and it would not recognize the dish. I also note that and the only two “Switch Type” options are “Multi-switch” and “SWM”- neither of which I’m using since I am direct attaching. The only way I could get the HR21 to recognize the Dish was using the 18x20” “Triple-sat LNB” Dish Type option, with Switch Type as “Multi Switch” and Dual Tuners selected. The problem is in this configuration the HR21 does not see any HD channels.

My questions:

Do I need the BBC’s on the HR21? (if so why not on the H21 & H23)?

I’m also confused about the “Switch Type” parameter only having “Multi-Switch” and “SWM” options with no “direct” or “no switch” option. Does this mean that I absolutely need a 4x8 multi switch between the dish & the receivers even though I’m only using 4 tuners?

Thanks in advance...

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    If you get everything on your h21 then you are wrong about bbcs or your lnb or something else because you can't get everything on that receiver without bbcs on a non swim system. The h23 has wide band tuners and doesn't need the bbcs. Your HR21 would require bbcs. And you have a multi switch if you have the right lnb. It's built into the lnb. The older triple lnbs did not have multiswitches built into them.

What's your actual sat signal strengths for every sat? Can you post them off both receivers?

And try choosing multiswitch on the sat setup and add the bbcs.

If you change to anything get rid of the lnb and get a swim lnb and be done. Don't bother wasting your time on a zinwell multiswitch. Swapping the lnb is much better. Just remember to get the right lnb and power inserter as well if you do.

3. san67

san67 New Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Thanks for the response; as it turns out what I thought was a H21 was in fact another H23 (forgot DTV replaced the H21 years ago) so that explained the BBC question. Once I put BBCs on the HR21 all HD was working fine configured as SL5 & multi switch.

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Ok. That makes sense. Glad you got it figured out!