HR21 with B-Converter and HR24 Without B-Coverter?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by reubenray, Nov 20, 2018.

1. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    I am helping my neighbor who has a 5 Lnb dish with four cables coming from it. Two of these are run to her existing HR21 with B-Converters. The other two are capped off. She has a HR24 that was used with a SWM dish that she want to use with the 5 lnb dish.

What do I need to get or do to get this to work?

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    2 more B-Band converters or switch the LNB to a SWM and just use 1 coax per receiver.

3. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Coax runs from the other two capped off ports and two more BBCs to the HR24.

And if "capped off" means that 75 ohm termination caps were used on those spare ports, then that should never have been done in the first place on a legacy install like that.

Once installed, when you power up the HR24 it should detect a non-SWiM install and boot up in legacy mode ... Though sometimes it can be a bit stubborn coming out of SWiM mode, so you may have to power cycle or rerun the receiver setup more than once.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

4. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    Will I need the power inserter or run the cables straight from the dish to the B-converter and then to the receiver?

5. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Straight from the dish to the BCCs to the receiver.

PIs are not used in a legacy installation.

6. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    Thanks everyone!!

7. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    I can only find one cable in one direction so far. What LNB will I need to get if I cannot find the other cable. Also will I be able to have the power inserter outside under the eave along with the splitter? Will I have to realign the dish any if I switch from the 5 lnb to a SWM lnb?

8. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Briefly ...

You'll need a SWiM integrated LNB.

No, unfortunately the PI is not weather proof and must be located indoors or in an outdoor enclosure that has AC power.

And no, you don't have to realign the dish when swapping LNBs as long as you're careful not to move it while changing out the LNBs.

Therefore, first make sure that all bolts are tight on the dish assembly before starting to exchange the LNBs.

9. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    I am seeing several differtne models. Which one do i want?

https://www.amazon.com/DIRECTV-SL3-...244215&psc=1#HLCXComparisonWidget_feature_div
    Will this one work.

https://www.amazon.com/DIRECTV-SL3-...244215&psc=1#HLCXComparisonWidget_feature_div

10. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yeah ...

If you don't need 119W and since you won't need Reverse Band with only an HR21 and HR24 on your installation ...

11. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    Our locals are on 99, so I would think she would not need 119.

12. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    Will this work with only one tuner? I know only one channel will be able to either be watched or recorded. I am trying to give her a temporary solution until I can find the second cable.

13. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yes it will in legacy mode ...

You have to rerun the satellite setup and select single tuner on the configuration page.

And remember to connect a BBC to the single coax line of course ...

I thought you were converting her install to SWiM?

14. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    I will if I cannot find the second cable. I am trying to get it where she could watch Directv until the LNB comes in. Plus I have to figure out how to do the power inserter. Two cables go to one location and two more go to another location. All of this is in the walls. I have to figure out where I can get the power inserter in there somewhere.

One thing I am thinking about is to use one of the cables from the SWM LNB to the one location that has the two cables. I would then connect it to the power inserter and then to a splitter. I would then back feed the cable back outside using the second cable and connect it to the one cable that I found back to the second location.

But will both the HR21 and the HR24 work with just one cable using the SWM LNB?

15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    yes, with DTV approved splitter obviously

16. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    Being I could not find the 2nd cable running to the HR24 I had to go the SWM-LNB route. I swapped out the LNB's and I got the HR24 working temporarily. I will now use one of the cables running to the HR21 for the cable coming from the LNB. This cable will connect to the power inserter at the HR21's location and then to the splitter at this location. From the splitter I will reconnect the HR21 and use the 2nd cable that was run previously for the HR21 back outside to connect to the one cable that was run previously for the HR24. I am thinking this should work unless the cable run is to long.

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    how long the cable you suggest it need to be ?

18. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    I would guess he cable running from the splitter to the HR24 will be 75 to 100 feet.

19. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    that's OK … up to 200 feet RG-6 will works