1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR22 Cannot Connect To Internet

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by philly33flyers, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Mar 7, 2009 #1 of 18
    philly33flyers

philly33flyers Cool Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I have an HR22-100 and am trying to network it. I have a cable going from an Apple Airport Timecapsule to a Linksys Switch to the HR22 in the top port. I then have another network cable connected to the bottom port going to a computer in that same room.

When I try to set up the network connection on the HR22, I keep getting an error that it is connected to the network but not to the internet. Actually it's not even connected to the network since it is giving a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address which is not what my network goes by. It should be a 192.168.xxx.xxx address. All other devices that are connected to the Timecapsule and Linksys Switch work perfectly picking up an IP address using DHCP. I've never had any problems. Infact, I even tried hooking up my laptop to the cable running to the HR22 to make sure it wasn't a bad cable. The laptop picked up an IP address within 10 seconds.

I have also tried to maually set the IP address but that has not worked either. I have tried a RBR and unplugging the power for 30 seconds on all devices but that has not worked either. I addition, I read in another thread that on some units the ports are switched, so I tried plugging the main cable into port 2 but that hasn't worked either.

I assume since the HR22 cannot pick up a proper IP address is the reason why my computer will not either when connected to the 2nd port from the HR22.

Any ideas on how to get it to pick up an IP address? Is the Apple airport or timecapsule not supported? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Mar 7, 2009 #2 of 18
    philly33flyers

Jan 4, 2006
    I had my old linksys WRT54G router laying around so I thought I would try that instead of the time capsule but I had the same result. I have now tried 2 different routers and both ports on the HR22. Again all other devices are working. Is there something I am missing?

3. Mar 7, 2009 #3 of 18
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    If you can, run an Ethernet cable directly to the router (temporarily). If that doesn't work, you've got a bad port on your HR22.

4. Mar 8, 2009 #4 of 18
    william8004

william8004 Legend

Oct 6, 2006
    Do you run security on your router? Password? MAC Address filtering?

5. Mar 8, 2009 #5 of 18
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008

Test it that way is best (TEMP) besure the Patch cable is in the Top port.

The bottom is a pass thru you can use to connect to another device, Like your TV or A/V amp if it has an RJ45 Port.

6. Mar 8, 2009 #6 of 18
    philly33flyers

Jan 4, 2006
    well the patch cable isn't bad because i can take that same cable and hook it up to a computer in the same room and that will pick up an IP address just perfectly. I did try to plug into the top port but had these problems.

7. Mar 8, 2009 #7 of 18
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It looks to me like your HR22 is getting DHCP from the computer that it is down stream from it. IIRC, 169 is what Microsoft uses in the absence of a proper DHCP server for peer networking.

Connecting a computer down stream of the HR22 is something that I would go to great lengths to avoid.

8. Mar 8, 2009 #8 of 18
    philly33flyers

Jan 4, 2006
    What exactly does down stream of mean? the 169 address is just an internal address windows uses if it can't find a network to connect to and get an ip address from.

9. Mar 8, 2009 #9 of 18
    harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You should try to limit yourself to using a single router unless you have an application which absolutely demands it. If you need a switch, buy one or run software on your router which allows it to act as a bridge.

10. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Think about what you've said. If the HR22 is using the seemingly proprietary Microsoft 169 address, it must be because it is getting DHCP from a Microsoft system and not your router. Try disconnecting or turning off the computer that is connected directly to the HR22 and see if your luck doesn't change.

By down stream, I mean connected to the "through" port of the HR22.

11. philly33flyers

Jan 4, 2006
    There are no windows computers on the system. The 169 address is not being picked up from any computer. The router is set to DHCP to assign IP addresses automatically and the switch is just a dumb switch which just allows me additional ethernet ports. Again, there is just 1 router and 1 switch, everything else works perfectly fine except the HR22. It seems like if there was an option to refresh or release/renew IP address on the HR22 it would work. It seems like the HR22 is acting way too quickly in trying to pick up an ip address. As soon as i hit connect, it pops up the 169 ip address seemingly without attempting to even sync up with the router.

Also, the lights on the back are red and orange...is that how it's supposed to be? Normally the lights on ethernet ports are green and orange.

12. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Take what harsh posts with a grain of salt. He is not a DirecTv customer and does not have any HR2x equipement. So any information may be suspect. But I'll leave you to decide what to believe. ;)

Anyway, on to your issue. The networking on the HR2x can be a bit finicky.
    There's actually two "restore defaults" selections under networking. Why I have no idea, but there is. The first is simply under "Network". The other is under the "Advanced Setup" under Network. You may need to use both of those combined with a reboot or two to get things to kick in.

As for the lights, my HR20-700 has a yellowish and an orangeish/redish light, while my HR21-700 is yellowish and green.

Good luck.

13. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Lights on the back of what?

Red usually is bad. Ethernet is typically green and amber. One is the connection LED and if it is red or amber, it means you're getting a bad or 10Mb connection.

As most of us aren't familiar with Apple model names for their networking gear, it would be helpful if you could use the common terminology (ie. routers and switches).

14. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    "Restore Defaults" will cause the HR2x to refresh the DHCP settings from the router.

15. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I have the HR21 connected to an Apple Airport Express (the new one), set at 802.11n and allowing wired connections. It then just bridges to my Time Capsule which bridges to the router in my DSL Modem.

All this works quite well. And I have 2 macs, an Apple TV, and a few other things connected wirelessly as well.

In reading the OP's original comments, it appears to me that the issues could be :
    1. Bad port on the switch
    2. Bad port on the HR22

The first thing I would do is get that switch out of the picture temporarily. Connect the HR22 directly to one of the LAN ports on the Time Capsule. Question, do you need the switch? The Time Capsule has 3 LAN ports on it. See if it can get an IP then. If it can't without the switch in place, then it probably means bad port on the HR22.

BTW, I assume you have reset all the devices in your network, like the Time Capsule, switch and others?

And the 169.x.x.x address is the HR22's way of saying, I'm not talking to the router.

16. philly33flyers

Jan 4, 2006
    I have tried the Restore Defaults in both locations many many times as well as teh RBR and just simply unplugging the power to the reciever for 30 seconds. I have also rebooted all network equipment.

As I stated earlier, the same cable I am trying to hook up to the HR22 works perfectly when hooking up to a computer in the same room, so that eliminates bad switch or bad cable. I guess it's just a bad port on the HR22 or some screwy software.

17. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Sounds like bad port to me.

If you have a spare Airport Express, you could just hook the hr22 to that in bridged mode. With the new AE that does 802.11n, it is just a check in the setup. But on the older, you had to set up WDS and with Time Capsule WDS is a major bandwidth hit.

18. hughh

hughh AllStar

Sep 22, 2006
    Let's try something different, what the heck, it might work.

We'll shut down in sequence and power-up in the opposite sequence. But first I need for you to go click on the toolbar where it says Safari. Click on "Reset Safari" and close. Shut you imac off. Unplug the power to your airport router and do the same with your modem.

After a few minutes, plug-in the modem and power it up. Wait until the power and dsl lights come on, then plug in and power-up your airport. Wait until the amber light stops blinking and then power-up you imac.

Something similar to your problem happened to me a few months ago and this is what AT&T directed me to do and it worked for me...no more problems since then. My son had a similar problem last week with a Win PC, he did the same thing I did and problem solved. Hope it works for you!