HR22 is SLOW compared to my HR20

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by flakrat, Sep 13, 2009.

1. flakrat

flakrat Mentor

Jul 24, 2006
    Howdy,

I recently had my HR20 mess up (couldn't find signal from the sat), the tech came out and replaced it with an HR22.

I thought, sweet upgrade :) Well, the equipment is certainly an upgrade, however the unit is unbelievably slow. Things like displaying the Guide take 10 seconds, and deleting a football game (3.5 hour recording) takes about 20 seconds. Just about every action seems to take much longer than it should.

This is much slower than my HR20 was before its demise. The HR22 is currently running release the firmware prior to the one that's currently rolling out.

Did I get a lemon, or will the new update possibly address the problem?

2. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    You didn't get a lemon, that unit is just slow! I know since I have one, and I also have a HR20-700 that could run circles around my HR22. Not to say that the HR22 is a bad receiver but it does lag a little. I'm not sure if the new software that is slowly rolling out helps with the speed at all, but I do believe Directv is addressing the speed issues.

3. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Careful flakrat! You are going to upset some people around here talking like that!

The truth is the new version of the software does speed things up a little but it is still slower than the HR20...

I'm hoping to go the other way - get rid of 1 of my HR22s and 'downgrade' to an HR20.

Let us know how it works out with the new software you should be getting any time now.

4. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I agree 100%. I have both and the HR 22 is much much slower than my HR 20.:nono2:

5. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Hey n3ntj - has your HR22 been updated with the latest firmware yet? Do you have them networked?

Sounds like I should try to get at least on HR20 to replace one of my HR22s.

6. MoInSTL

MoInSTL Legend

Mar 29, 2006
    Interesting. I had my HR20-700 replaced with a new HR22-100. The HR20 was faster, but the HR22 isn't anything as bad as what the OP said. The guide menu is a tad slower. Takes a second or two to delete baseball games. I do have the new 0x034c NR firmware though and Native off.

Edit: Forgot to add that I also turned off scrolling effects.

Do menu resets help?

7. ffemtreed

ffemtreed Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    Join the club!

8. flakrat

flakrat Mentor

Jul 24, 2006
    I just changed Native from on to off. I'll see if channel changing speeds up any.

9. corpx

corpx AllStar

Sep 7, 2009
    Is the HR-23 faster? Anyone know?

10. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    My HR22-100 is not networked and is on last week's CE update. It's been much slower than the HR20-700 since the day I got it. My HR20-700 is networked and is on this weekend's CE update.

11. WTB65

WTB65 New Member

Sep 11, 2009
    I turned off scrolling effects on the guide and my HDR22 seems to be a lot faster than it was. But my old HDR20 was faster. It was replaced because I could not record in HD though I could watch HD on tuner 2. Tuner 1 would display searching for signal. The tech replaced the 5 LNB with a 3 LNB and replaced the multiswitch and both BBC convertors before swapping the DVR. So, I pretty much got a whole system upgrade.

12. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Also, when you get the 0x034c update, there's a good possibility you'll see a speed increase.

13. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You've got a 22, don't you? Did your's increase in speed? The one I had was as fast as my 21-700s and almost as fast as my 20-700s. Still don't understand how I got a fast one. :lol:

Rich

14. Guindalf

Guindalf Legend

Nov 19, 2005
    I think I am seeing an improvement. Of course, I only got the update this morning, but my wife said she was trying to switch channels last night and the 22 froze for over FIVE MINUTES!!

Watching football over the weekend was a real chore. At one point my screen was frozen for over four minutes and I missed two touchdowns. I'm waiting to see if the update really has improved anything - if not, it's on the phone again.

15. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Screen freezing is not the same as 5-6 second delay in doing something. You have another issue.

16. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Guindalf, I would start by resetting the DVR and if that doesn't work, unplug it from the wall for a half hour. You might also unplug your network line and see if that makes a difference.

17. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Yep - a complete freeze is a different deal... The slow response most have are things like hitting guide or list and having it take 4 or 5 seconds to respond. Trying to type in channels changes by number is usually not worth the frustration. It is also pretty damn slow just moving around the menu system – I often make the wrong selection because of delays in the response.

I think in my case they are a little quicker with the new software but not a huge difference. I haven't tried to hook the network back up yet - disconnecting the network made more of speed increase than the new software. n3ntj – that’s why I asked about the network…

Just missed an HR20 that someone local was selling... I haven't been able to compare the HR20 and HR22 side-by-side but the HR20s I have used (all before the software update) were faster in general but still slow in my opinion. Hopefully I can find one around here for not too much $$$$ and give it a shot.

18. tbranan

tbranan AllStar

Sep 3, 2006
    I have two HR20's in my house and recently got a 22 to go in the den. Wow. Big difference in speed for us. We joke that when it is time to change the channel, to start a minute prior to the start of the show so we can allow the 22 time to get going. My wife says, "the teradactyl running on the wheel inside the 22 has to be woke up!" I am hoping the update fixes the problem, but I may still move the 20 in our bedroom to the den, as that is the primary receiver we use.

19. Ken_F

Ken_F Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 13, 2003
    Performance on the HR21/HR22/HR23 are all comparable, and none will ever match the HR20.

The HR20 uses an older, more costly design that provides superior memory bandwidth. For that reason, it will always be more responsive than the newer HR2x DVRs.

Performance concerns should be addressed with a new DirecTV DVR in early 2010.

20. ulbonado

ulbonado Legend

Nov 28, 2007
    Only problem is I have a nearly full 1TB eSata on my 21-700, and I assume I will lose everything if I try to move it to a new machine thanks to DRM and all, right? I wish they'd just make the existing ones work, but I suppose they may have simply underspecced the hardware and that's the way it is. Frustrating.